Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtehonica

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2007
What happens if you have a grandfathered unlimited plan on ATT. The plans offered on the upgrade page seem to be only Next plans.

I'm guessing that I'll be forced to pay full price.

Couldn't you just add the new iPhone Upgrade Program phone to your account as a new line, swap your SIMs and then cancel the new line? The new line is just a "bring your own device, no contract" line so you'd be out the activation fee and whatever the prorated amount is for the number of days you kept the additional line on your account.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
A little perk of Discover card is you can see your FICO anytime. I hope I don't get rejected.:D
Screen%20Shot%202015-09-25%20at%2010.29.50%20AM_zps76oxjziz.jpg

Reactions: MuGeN PoWeR

EW800

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2012
Approved with a 668!

Congrats! I am pretty sure that we will see that the bar is not set too high on this. Typically, with these types of programs, a high credit score is not needed. Hopefully most with a credit score over 620 or so will get approved!

Colonel Badger

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2008
What happens if you have a grandfathered unlimited plan on ATT. The plans offered on the upgrade page seem to be only Next plans.

I'm guessing that I'll be forced to pay full price.

My understanding is that as long as you're Out of Contract i.e. you are due an upgrade, then you can simply use the Upgrade Program as normal. If however you're still "In Contract" then you'll either need to pay off the old phone or buy the new one at full price.

Can anyone who still had a Grandfathered Unlimited Plan on AT&T confirm ??!!!

(Note; I'm in the same situation with a 5S and as far as I can tell from Apple's website, am eligible for the Upgrade Program)

icedlatte

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2015
NH
Strange. I just applied and got declined. I have upper tier credit (788). Doesn't make sense. Only reason I can think of is I used to have a fraud alert on my credit report. Oh well. I just paid for it outright. Now I will patiently wait for the rejection letter explaining the reasons. They said I would receive in the mail in a few days. I haven't been declined for credit in 20+ yrs - made me feel young :)

I got denied too, credit score a little bit less than yours. I made sure last night to remove any fraud alerts through my subscriptions to the credit agencies. Go figure.

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
So, the process was painless enough, but the payment numbers are confusing me. I got the Truth in Lending disclosure at the time the loan was processed in email and here's what Citizens says. (Note this is for a 6s Plus/128, before you react!).

Monthly payments are $44.91, which I believe is correct. However, the first payment (made within three days, the usual, you can cancel in 72 hours, etc.) is $109.59. This *could* be the tax in one lump sum added on the front.

Then, the other issue is I was charged immediately for $134.73. No idea what's up here. We may be getting more documents later from Citizens with login info for our accounts to, say, change credit cards if needed, etc. that could explain this initial charge?

Any one had the same/different experiences?

jbrady3324

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2009
Yea, that seems a bit odd to me as well but I am sure it adds up correctly. I don't think apple's quotes online include tax so this is probably the method to get tax out of the way up front. I am on my way now to pick my phone up but might just pay for the phone upfront as I am not sure this loan business is really worth it.

jonfarr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2012
Portland
Got in line about 30 mins before appointment. Only about 4 people in front of me. Two behind. The one person in front and two behind didn't have reservations and were disappointed to hear they couldn't get a phone.

Store opens in 20 mins. I'll let you know how the upgrade program goes.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
So, the process was painless enough, but the payment numbers are confusing me. I got the Truth in Lending disclosure at the time the loan was processed in email and here's what Citizens says. (Note this is for a 6s Plus/128, before you react!).

Monthly payments are $44.91, which I believe is correct. However, the first payment (made within three days, the usual, you can cancel in 72 hours, etc.) is $109.59. This *could* be the tax in one lump sum added on the front.

Then, the other issue is I was charged immediately for $134.73. No idea what's up here. We may be getting more documents later from Citizens with login info for our accounts to, say, change credit cards if needed, etc. that could explain this initial charge?

Any one had the same/different experiences?

134.73 is the $44.91 x 3. They just did a credit authorization to make sure you had enough to cover 3 months payments. I bet those charges will go away, and you'll get your first hit in 3 days as the notice says.

----

This was the smoothest operation ever. I did two iPhone Upgrade Programs, 1 for me, 1 for my wife. Was quick and painless. And now I'm good to go :) Still setting up the 6S Plus. It's a beast.

Got to my local apple store around 8:20am, and was out by 8:50am with 2 phone transactions and 2 IUPs done in separate transactions.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

zzoomp09

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2012
nordern nu joizee
Just got my phone through Verizon Edge, I wasn't approved under this program for whatever reason. My credit score is at least 750 with only 2 credit cards (Barclays is one) and a car loan under my credit record, I'm befuddled at why I wasn't approved. But, I'm not the only one.

There were at least 4-5 people in the few (maybe 10-15) they had let in at first that wasn't approved too. Apple screwed this one up, there should've been a pre-approval process for this program. I should've bought it through Verizon and had it delivered if I knew this is what'll happen. I despise waking up early and falling in line (although I had a reservation and it was a lot easier than ones who didn't) just for a phone.

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
My understanding is that as long as you're Out of Contract i.e. you are due an upgrade, then you can simply use the Upgrade Program as normal. If however you're still "In Contract" then you'll either need to pay off the old phone or buy the new one at full price.

Can anyone who still had a Grandfathered Unlimited Plan on AT&T confirm ??!!!

(Note; I'm in the same situation with a 5S and as far as I can tell from Apple's website, am eligible for the Upgrade Program)

I am out of contract. I'd much prefer just to swap my sim than to trust that the Apple activation process won't cancel my unlimited plan.

I asked a few days ago and the apple person said to call att. I told him I doubted very much if an att CS rep would really know the answer before launch.

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
134.73 is the $44.91 x 3. They just did a credit authorization to make sure you had enough to cover 3 months payments. I bet those charges will go away, and you'll get your first hit in 3 days as the notice says.

----

This was the smoothest operation ever. I did two iPhone Upgrade Programs, 1 for me, 1 for my wife. Was quick and painless. And now I'm good to go :) Still setting up the 6S Plus. It's a beast.

Got to my local apple store around 8:20am, and was out by 8:50am with 2 phone transactions and 2 IUPs done in separate transactions.
Doh! Thanks for that calculation! It's still weird it shows as a 'real transaction' and not a pending or anything; I can see the difference on my Amex.. But, yeah, perhaps they test things in multiple ways (FICO, Credit Card level...)

Whole thing took me twenty minutes (after we got in at 0800).

drz

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2015
f you get denied at the store will they let you purchase the phone using AT&T Next?

Cyberguycpt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
Well my store may be different then your store, but I have an appointment at 11 but just went to see if they would let me in early and the said the earliest would be 10. But I also have a reserved phone at 4 and they said once I'm in I can reserve both at once.

onujpt

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2015
Tampa, FL
Just thought I'd post my two cents having just got back home from the Apple Store.

Signed up for a reservation. Got there. Front of the line quickly. Got the phone and began the checkout process and notified them I wanted to do the iPhone upgrade program.

I have a 724 credit score, a barclaycard through Apple, and a $4,000 available balance on that card with a combined household income of over $80,000.

I was declined. At first everyone was getting declined. Then some started to work. Mine didn't. They attempted 3 or 4 times with absolutely no luck.

It immediately added a hard inquiry to my credit score. Although we attempted four times, for now it appears that it only hit my credit score once.

I'm beyond upset and will anxiously be awaiting my letter from the bank to find out why I was declined. I personally believe it was a system communication error. And that maybe I was approved but the system just didn't show it. I'm tempted to go back and try again tomorrow just to see if it was a launch-day-8-am issue or not.

eXoenDo

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
I was declined. At first everyone was getting declined. Then some started to work. Mine didn't. They attempted 3 or 4 times with absolutely no luck.

It immediately added a hard inquiry to my credit score. Although we attempted four times, for now it appears that it only hit my credit score once.

I'm beyond upset and will anxiously be awaiting my letter from the bank to find out why I was declined. I personally believe it was a system communication error. And that maybe I was approved but the system just didn't show it. I'm tempted to go back and try again tomorrow just to see if it was a launch-day-8-am issue or not.
This was my exact experience. I was declined as well as everyone else. When I left, no one was getting through yet. I was asked to return to exchange (I paid full price so I could keep the phone while they figured it out).

onujpt

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2015
Tampa, FL
Didn't think of that. Now I've given up the phone. Legally they have to send you a letter stating why, right? So frustrated. And the manager of our store was a complete jerk about it. Acted like I must not truly know my credit score, and how I was declined. Plain and simple.

I asked if he thought it was weird that every single person was being declined. He said no. Not weird at all. Jerk.

Reactions: sidewinder3000

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
That's right. The first people getting to it will be eastern time zone.
About a little less than a hour away.
They insisted that I enter my AT&T account information. They couldn't process it as a "device only" sale, though in the end it didn't matter since the phone is unlocked and it didn't extend my contract.

Overall, the process was easy. I had to accept a bunch of things (basically a credit check and the terms of the agreement), but the whole thing was done in less than 15 minutes.

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
It is a system error on the leasing bank's end. It is all over Reddit now and another thread on this site. Apple and Citizen are working to fix the problem. Unfortunately, it wasted a lot of people's time and resulted in a credit pull.

Reactions: sidewinder3000

jbenkelman

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2009
Few questions. I called this morning and the rep sounded like it was the first time he had heard about the program.

1. Do you have to trade in your current iPhone? He said yes...I found that hard to believe.
  2. Will being on iOS 9.1 beta 2 have any issue with restoring from a back up to the new phone? I should probably bump down to iOS 9.0 again...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.