Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grey Area

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2008
16GB on an android lols. nowdays i look at phones with 128gb minimum or i wont be buying it.
I love having plenty of local storage - I have a 1TB microSD card in my Android phone. Cost almost as much as the phone itself...

I'm a bit of an old-school, "hands on" computing kind of user, and for me this is an area where Android shines (compared to iOS). The phone can feel more like a traditional computer, which is not ashamed of its file system and its storage volumes. There are usually fairly straight-forward ways to get the things done that I want to do. They can be rough around the edges and not all that well suited to a small touch interface, but they exist and they work. Broadly generalizing, on iOS there is either the polished Apple-way of doing something, or none at all. (Or if I'm lucky there is at least some extremely clunky workaround past the restrictions.)

That being said, the lack of polish is pervasive on Android. Given the years I am not even sure this can be called lack of polish, maybe Google just does not have the smarts to do things well. I keep hovering between iOS and Android, usually focusing on one until its annoyances begin to outweigh my fading memories of the annoyances of the other. ;-)

Reactions: t1328 and macdogpro

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
In my case it was storage size. My Android phone was 16GB and when I bought the SE 2020 I got 128 GB. I have now ordered the iPhone 12 Pro Max and call me crazy but I ordered the 512 GB size model. Don’t think I’ll be running out of storage space there. I also ordered a new iPad(went cellular this time) as well as a new iMAc. Over $3K spent (Bigger than expected tax return and stimulus payment helped) and still have over $500 left once rent is paid
What Android phone only came with 16GB of storage? I am pretty sure any recent Android phone comes with more storage than that.

paulsonj72

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2010
What Android phone only came with 16GB of storage? I am pretty sure any recent Android phone comes with more storage than that.
I’d have to find it. I put it away when I got my iPhone. I remember it was a Motorola

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
iPhone superior as frequent updates always keep you secure and address any issues. However the big thing now is Privacy which Apple seems to be doing a nice job of addressing it. I bought an iPhone and like most people , I’m tired of unwanted ads as well as giving up my info. Android is just the opposite they know more about you than you know about yourself

macdogpro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2020
iPhone superior as frequent updates always keep you secure and address any issues. However the big thing now is Privacy which Apple seems to be doing a nice job of addressing it. I bought an iPhone and like most people , I’m tired of unwanted ads as well as giving up my info. Android is just the opposite they know more about you than you know about yourself
Yeah, I've been using my Pixel 3a for 2 days now, on the settings I can find Google activity control that tells me how many of Google services that I use being tracked by them to generate "better personalized experience". Amazing how detailed they're keeping our usage history through out various apps / services. But considering how I still using gmail, gmaps and youtube, it is inevitable for me to let them track me in some extend even on my iPhone.

But current stock Android offers much better options and suggestions to not to let third party apps accessing our phone without consent.

Reactions: secretk

macdogpro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2020
Just ordered a used Pixel 3A in mint condition, just for reviewing a sponsor’s app in my YT channel. The app only available on Android for the moment.

The seller said the battery health is 94% and can hold SoT between 4-5 hours (3000 mAh). That is similar to my 12 mini (2200 mAh). We’ll see on my daily real usage.

The Pixel 3A will be my second Android phone since the 2011/2012 Galaxy Nexus. Both running stock Android which I always prefer back when I haven’t use an iPhone. This will also serve my purpose to compare modern iOS vs Android that I have not experience for years now. Should be interesting for me.

I settled the budget for this purpose for under USD 200, so the options were either a used Pixel 3A or a new Redmi Note 10 that has just been up for sale officially in my country. Read pretty much users complaining about the bloat, ads and inconsistency on the MiUI made me chose the Pixel. I personally prefer Samsung’s OneUI looks over any other skinned Android but it seems some users still complaining about daily performance degradation after few months of usage.

Also the Pixel 3A camera (photo) performance is said to be on par with the recent Pixel 4A, so should also be interesting for me to compare it to my 12 mini camera.
Entering day 3 using my Pixel 3a,

It has been fun and refreshing using it as my secondary phone with 12 mini as the primary.

I copied my iPhone data and contents directly to the Pixel using direct USB C to lightning cable connection. So they both have similar apps, settings and user data (photos, videos, text, etc.). The process was straight forward and intuitive. Very good welcoming feature for iPhone users coming to the Pixel.
This setup also serve me a power bank feature for the 12 mini from the Pixel. Reverse charging is nice.

Here's what I feel / found about stock Android 11 compared to iOS 14:

- They both feels very similar and I can see each being influenced by each other on certain features. But I think Android implemented more iOS core features more than vice versa.
- Android becoming more transparent by letting me know more about third party apps that trying to access my phone.
- Android 11 notification center is even getting way more advanced than iOS with smarter grouping between chats, app notifications and system notifications.
- I much prefer iOS's control center layout. But both functions great.
- Surprisingly, I think Android widgets is going no where, still doesn't improved compared to on Jelly Bean, Marshmello and Oreo that I've been familiar with. iOS implementation is more usable for me and being supported more by third party apps.
- Contextual menu extension on app icon also not being utilize to the max on Android, both by native apps and third party apps.
- Social media apps are indeed more polished on the iOS, haptic feedback are implemented better.
- Speaking of haptics, despite inferior haptic engine on Pixel 3a (not too bad actually), the whole system implementation is not on par with iOS. Subtle and tap like haptic are more refined on iOS.
- I prefer classic app drawer on Android then app library on iOS (including the whole app folder mess on home screen).
- Google Assistant is great. Siri is no contest.
- With the same 4gb of ram both on Pixel 3a and 12 mini, Android task manager kills more background apps than iOS. This is the opposite of what was happening in the past. But I'm glad Android do this to make the whole experience smoother.
- Gesture navigation on Android is great. There's 3 options available including the classic 3 buttons, the pil and back button (which I don't like) and the nav bar swipe button with screen edge back swipe that is very similar with iOS. But the difference is that on Android we can swipe it back from the right screen edge as well. Very convenient to use both with right or left thumb. Even though iOS back swipe feels more natural.
- Text selection with holding space bar in iOS is no where to be found on Android 11. Other Android UI like Samsung's OneUI have it I've been told.
- I also miss tapping top edge screen to go back up in iOS.
- There seems no reachability features on Android 11. Samsung and the others have some kind of shrinking the whole screen to make it easier to reach.
- Both native image editing software is great, I no longer need the kind of Snapseed app to edit my pictures. HDR processing on iOS is more agressive while stock Android do it more subtle. I like taking pictures more on the Pixel due to better experience and outputs, especially how it uses regular wide lens but auto cropping it to mimic telephoto lens on portrait mode. But low light mode processing is better on the iPhone.
- Battery monitoring system on Android 11 is lacking. Needs third party app to tell more like on iOS. But charging estimation info is a nice touch on Android.
- And battery life on standby mode is still disappointing. I lost around 20% overnight. Even though the 3000mAh battery allows me to have 6 hours of SoT.
- Automatization also needs third party app on Android, but it can do way more detailed macro scripting than what iOS allowing user to do on Shortcuts.
- Surprisingly, I found AOD to be more into my likings than previously I thought I would. Interested how Apple will implement this on the next iPhones.
- Auto OTP input on iOS when using two factors of authentication is also missing on Android 11.
- Animation and transitions are getting better on Android, although there's this thing about overall aesthetic, fluidity, and consistency both in terms of UI and UX that I found to be more refined on iOS. Tiny little details that we can feel and appreciate.
- The basic feature on Pixel launcher is adequate that I don't need to replace it with Nova launcher like in the past. iOS 14 also providing enough tools and shortcuts, that I don't feel it's lacking from Android 11.
- Live caption for speech and text selection tools for any screen features are something that iOS should be inspired from.

The list is getting lengthier than I thought, but I think there's more to find, the longer I use my Pixel 3a. Looking forward to see how stock Android would hold up staying smooth in the next few months.

Overall, I won't mind using the Pixel with stock Android as my daily driver, but I still prefers iOS experience by not too far in comparison.

paulsonj72

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2010
I’d have to find it. I put it away when I got my iPhone. I remember it was a Motorola
Here is a picture of my Android device showing 16 GB storage. Also posted phone type. 22D9A4E8-F743-4152-A8FD-9F622DF1EA22.jpeg

Attachments

• 1C0A13B3-1CC5-4F7A-91C8-D4A3EBC2E33A.jpeg
    1C0A13B3-1CC5-4F7A-91C8-D4A3EBC2E33A.jpeg
    406.8 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Sony is the next LG, they’ll be leaving the

Sony is profit this quarter, first time in 4yrs!
Their making the right phones ... but with such top manufacturing quality and slim tolerances their volumes are incredibly low. I'm hoping to see more distribution as Sony has been FIRST to market with:

Camera's on phones - SonyEricsson (and Ericsson) T68i / T68m respectively (add-on adapter)
IP rating for dust and water resistance - again first in the entire industry with partnership with Ericsson phones.
Battery life care and extended low battery charge performance - again Sony pioneered this in very early Xperia lineup.

I'd HATE and cringe to see Sony bow out of the industry :(

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
Their making the right phones ... but with such top manufacturing quality and slim tolerances their volumes are incredibly low. I'm hoping to see more distribution as Sony has been FIRST to market with:

Camera's on phones - SonyEricsson (and Ericsson) T68i / T68m respectively (add-on adapter)
IP rating for dust and water resistance - again first in the entire industry with partnership with Ericsson phones.
Battery life care and extended low battery charge performance - again Sony pioneered this in very early Xperia lineup.

They are also the ones to think about computational audio in relation to Bluetooth (LDAC codec). They are also usually the ones you turn for phone lenses. Sony are IMO driven by Japanese culture and that makes them different than the mainstream but sometimes different also means good.

• Love
Reactions: DeepIn2U

Spetsgruppa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2021

i almost sold my 12 PM for the Sony Xperia Pro(costs USD$3310 in Indonesia) but decided not to because if it gets damaged i will have to either send it overseas for repairs or just trash it.The Xperia Pro is 1 fine phone...i used to be a Sony fanboy and my longest lasting phone was the Xperia XZ Premium.it is so fine.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
It is largely down to software at this point. On Android and iPhone there are good handsets at every price point. Even the cheaper need of the scale (Pixel 6a, iPhone SE) are still great handsets with quality camera specs. Android has all sorts of neat forms and you literally cannot buy a terrible iPhone.

For me personally I use iOS simply because there are dozens of apps and games I use every day that just do not exist on Android in any shape or form. I also have 16 years worth of purchases I can still use as well. I think the biggest motivator though it the little things. I use Apple Wallet and Pay every day and there is just no solution as seamless on Android, even on the Pixel line.

Despite these personal shortcomings though I wouldn’t be annoyed if I had to use Android full-time. It can still do a lot of things iOS cannot, particularly when it comes to utility. I travel a lot for work and if I weren’t so wedded to iOS I’d buy a Fold 4 or S23U in a shot because I can see its potential as a cross work/play device like being able to scribble notes down or hook it up to a hotel TV and play some emulators with a Bluetooth controller. I’d save a lot of space in my bag if I had that luxury.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.