Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oats

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
New York
I am impressed by the hardware/software capabilities that appear to be in the iPhone. What processor do they use? And what operating system? It is obviously some stripped down version of OS X, but it is not clear how stripped down. Is it even Intel-based?

I am guessing there is no Core 2 Duo inside that thing. Could it be a couple DSP's? I wonder if it is similar to the processor used in a PSP? Any ideas?

There is some really exciting technologies here, that could become the platform for all sorts of new devices. I really hope they update the iPod video to be widescreen & touchscreen, minus all the phone stuff.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
im not even sure if there is a CPU in there. looks like, but feels shouldn't. lol, more detail, apple, plz.

Orge

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2004
It's a G5 ;)
But seriously it's probably just a standard phone processor like in any other phone.

It's a lot snappier than many of the phone's available at the moment...

Sony ericson's interface has very basic animation etc, but nothing in the same league as this. Even though they're leveraging core image, it's quite impressive how they have left the competition in the dust (graphics/UI wise).

Steve needs to send one to the ArsTechnica boys pronto, so they can rip it to bits! ;)

J

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
these are palm's CPUs, would iphone's be G4 or celeron? or special AMD? or no CPU at all..... :p
Palm handhelds initially ran on the popular DragonBall processors, a Motorola 68000 derivate. More recent models are using a variation of the widely popular ARM architecture (usually referred to by the Intel Xscale brand name). This is a class of RISC microprocessors that is widely used in mobile devices and embedded systems, and its design was influenced strongly by a popular 1970s/1980s CPU, the MOS Technology 6502.

Oats

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
New York
But seriously it's probably just a standard phone processor like in any other phone.

you have to be kidding me. steve made a big deal to point out that it is running a REAL OS with real apps. even if it is a stripped down version of OS X, it makes me think maybe there is something intel based in there.

i thought the user interface was very snappy, even with the fancy graphic effects. though when steve was trying to multi-task, on the phone, browsing through photos, emailing, all at once, the UI was noticeably less responsive.

you think there is another 1GB flash chip in there that contains the OS and all the built-in apps?

Oats

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
New York
just saw this image in another thread... looks like this palm product has a lot in common with the iPhone (down to the same screen resolution). wouldn't be surprised if this was the same processor the iPhone uses:
http://www.intel.com/design/intelxscale/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_XScale

lifedrive_popis.gif

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Guessing it's an xScale and a cut down version of OS X, but we don't know what the apps are based on. Could be Java. Widget based. Could be regular. Or a cut down combo of the above.

I'm sure we'll know in a few months when the specs come out, I'm sure they give the tools to develop software for it.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
It's either:

ARM, XScale, or PowerPC.

I remember hearing about some ultraportable PowerPC somewhere. However, I doubt it, because of the move away from IBM and Motorola. Why support PowerPC hardware any more than necessary?

That leaves ARM and XScale.

ARM is what is in the Nintendo DS and the current iPods. The processors in those however lack an MMU so it's hard to get them to run traditional OSes (which is why DSLinux and iPodLinux use the stripped down uCLinux kernel). There are high end ARM processors however that might accomodate OS X.

Finally, the most likely one: XScale. It's an x86 processor made by Intel. Intel already is giving Apple good deals and traditionally offers discounts to all-Intel lineups. They're the most commonly used and probably most powerful PDA processors, and Mac OS X already runs on that architecture.

I'd say in all likelyhood to expect a 200-400 MHz Intel XScale processor in there.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Finally, the most likely one: XScale. It's an x86 processor made by Intel. Intel already is giving Apple good deals and traditionally offers discounts to all-Intel lineups. They're the most commonly used and probably most powerful PDA processors, and Mac OS X already runs on that architecture.

XScale is ARM. XScale is just an Intel marketing name for their implementation of the ARM ISA/architecture. It's not x86 or even similar.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
just saw this image in another thread... looks like this palm product has a lot in common with the iPhone (down to the same screen resolution). wouldn't be surprised if this was the same processor the iPhone uses:
http://www.intel.com/design/intelxscale/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_XScale

It's about 5 times as thick but they could have the same processor. Palm really has had some good ideas but they don't always work as well or as easily as anyone would like.

Somewhere, I just read that it's a Samsung processor for the main CPU in the iPhone with a helper processor also.

ARM made a lot of processors for the Newton line but since Apple sold their investment in the company and it was bought by Intel, a lot of things have changed.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Intel has denied they're supplying the chip for this. I can't imagine it's Motorola, given they're in direct competition with Apple now. I wouldn't think it's IBM either given their recent split. So, if it's not Intel or PowerPC... ARM?

OSX is very portable, so it would take relatively little work to port it to another chip.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
If not intel, then probably a Portalplayer or Samsung SOIC. Portalplayer looks to be the most likely supplier. NVidia recently bought them out, so it's all looking quite interesting.

Jonnie

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2004
I wonder also what wil be used. I remember reading that intel was workin om some core solo for mobile devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.