Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BijouMan

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2022
While I was restoring my iPhone I accidentally switched on one of my connected USB devices while it was almost done restoring and it interrupted the process. Now when I try to restore it gets about 80-90% of the way before saying "Could not restore the iPhone because an error occurred." I tried reinstalling iOS using Recovery Mode but that still didn't help. How do I fix this?

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
While I was restoring my iPhone I accidentally switched on one of my connected USB devices while it was almost done restoring and it interrupted the process. Now when I try to restore it gets about 80-90% of the way before saying "Could not restore the iPhone because an error occurred." I tried reinstalling iOS using Recovery Mode but that still didn't help. How do I fix this?

Tried in DFU mode? Your firmware needs to be reinstalled I guess.

BijouMan

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2022
Just tried that. Didn't help. The backup file is about 93 GB and when it fails to restore the iPhone always ends up with 70-71 GB of inaccessible data before I erase it again. I have more than enough storage space on my computer, and restoring the backup of a different iPhone in the family works. So where exactly is the problem and how do I fix it? I would hate to lose my entire iPhone profile.

BijouMan

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2022
I just tried restoring it to another iPhone 12 that a family member no longer uses after having upgraded and that still didn't work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.