Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ceruleanventure

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
I posted this in the other iPhone forum, sorry but I wasn't getting any response and this forum seems to have a lot more traffic. :eek:

I've only had an iPhone for about 2 weeks now and I'm encountering some issues which are making me frustrated. I'd REALLY appreciate some help.

1) I cannot manage to get videos onto my iPhone. Thanks to the forum's help I got music on there eventually lol but I cannot get videos from ripped dvds (that I own of course) onto the iPhone. I have an iPod video and had no such issues using iSquint. I changed the video resolution to the iPhone resolution but no luck. I try adding videos to my iPhone playlist (with all my music on it) and iTunes refuses to sync the videos (which are all converted to normal iPod video format but at a different resolution.)

2) In my area I have pretty good AT&T coverage yet when I surf the web using Safari on either the Edge or a WiFi network Safari keeps quitting on me (every 5 minutes or so) Plus bookmarks that I make while using the iPhone do not save in the bookmarks folder.

3) My friends and I took a recent spur of the moment trip to Niagara Falls and all I had was the iPhone to take pictures with. Now how do I get these photos off the iPhone? If I click "sync" with iPhoto it tries to wipe the iPhone's folder and import the hundreds of photos that I have in iPhoto which is what I DON'T want. How do I get these pictures off of iPhone without erasing them?

angrygolfer

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
PA
I posted this in the other iPhone forum, sorry but I wasn't getting any response and this forum seems to have a lot more traffic. :eek:

I've only had an iPhone for about 2 weeks now and I'm encountering some issues which are making me frustrated. I'd REALLY appreciate some help.

1) I cannot manage to get videos onto my iPhone. Thanks to the forum's help I got music on there eventually lol but I cannot get videos from ripped dvds (that I own of course) onto the iPhone. I have an iPod video and had no such issues using iSquint. I changed the video resolution to the iPhone resolution but no luck. I try adding videos to my iPhone playlist (with all my music on it) and iTunes refuses to sync the videos (which are all converted to normal iPod video format but at a different resolution.)

2) In my area I have pretty good AT&T coverage yet when I surf the web using Safari on either the Edge or a WiFi network Safari keeps quitting on me (every 5 minutes or so) Plus bookmarks that I make while using the iPhone do not save in the bookmarks folder.

3) My friends and I took a recent spur of the moment trip to Niagara Falls and all I had was the iPhone to take pictures with. Now how do I get these photos off the iPhone? If I click "sync" with iPhoto it tries to wipe the iPhone's folder and import the hundreds of photos that I have in iPhoto which is what I DON'T want. How do I get these pictures off of iPhone without erasing them?

1. If you click on your iphone's name in the list in iTunes, there is a tab called video. You need to enable sync for the video and select what you want to sync.

2. Not sure about this one.

3.Just run iPhoto with the phone attached and it will ask if you want to import the pics from your iPhone.

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
1) If you had music syncing problems, then it's probably a issue with syncing them then. Are you sure in the Videos tab on the iPhone you selected the videos you want on your iphone?

2) Well, you've probably updated to 1.0.2 which fixed crashing frequently with a lot of users. It crashes usually when the page has a lot to load on it, and your listening to the iPod as well. You could try restoring your phone all together.

3) Not sure, i don't use a mac, but i remember there is a option in the settings somewhere for this. Just look around.

one1

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN

All from Itunes:

1. use the tabs to go to videos and click the one's you want to load.

2. check your firmware.

3. use the tab to go to photo's and see what is checked and what is not.

ceruleanventure

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
Thanks guys, I solved the first two issues due to your help. However I still can't rescue the pictures stuck on my iPhone. iTunes keeps telling me that I have to wipe the iPhone's photo album to sync the files...Also I can't seem to get bluetooth to work (even though my iMac has bluetooth and has no issues with my Razr...:(

one1

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Stuck ON your iPhone? That's image capture. Mine is set to come up when I plug my camera in.

I think I originally read it as you wanted to put images on the camera rather than take them off. Just use image capture.

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
Thanks guys, I solved the first two issues due to your help. However I still can't rescue the pictures stuck on my iPhone. iTunes keeps telling me that I have to wipe the iPhone's photo album to sync the files...Also I can't seem to get bluetooth to work (even though my iMac has bluetooth and has no issues with my Razr...:(

Because you don't do it in iTunes... you do it in iPhoto, as a couple other posters have already said.
Open up iPhoto, and on the bottom there should be a button that says "Import".

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
When you transfer your photo's to iPhoto, iPhoto gives you the option to delete the photos from your iPhone, or to keep them - just like workign with any other camera.

Personally, I remove them, because they will get moved to your iPhoto library, which is usually tranferred to your iPhone.

Your "Camera Roll" is for pictures you have taken but not transferred to iPhoto. The "Photos" button from the main iPhone screen takes you to your iPhoto library (or some portion of that) that you have puton your phone.

ceruleanventure

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
Thanks guys. I'm still having problems with the photos. When I open Image capture is states that no picture device is connected. Also iPhoto lets me click import but nothing happens. The iPhone is on and connected to the dock and not in sync mode.

one1

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
you do not have to use iphoto to load pics, FYI. Itunes gives you the choice to load from iphoto or the picture folder. That won't help you get them off, but it is not needed to get them on.

If your computer does not see the iphone as an image device something is not right in the software. It should come up with image capture.

Attachments

• screenshot3.jpeg
    screenshot3.jpeg
    66.2 KB · Views: 159

ceruleanventure

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
Should the iPhone be mounting onto my desktop in the same fashion as an iPod or external hard drive? Because nothing pops up when I plug the iPhone in. I tried restoring the iPhone and iTunes initially told me an update was available for the iphone and started downloading new firmware. But when the download finished it experience some sort of error and didn't install. Now iTunes tells me that the iPhone is up to date, yet nothing installed? I just got it about two weeks ago so I don't know if the iPhone's OS outdated or not. Image capture still won't read it btw. And the bluetooth utility on my iMac tells me it can't communicate with my iPhone (the iPhone's bluetooth is on btw)

heatwave

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2007
Alright, let's slow down and take it one bit at a time.

1. You can NOT mount an iPhone like a disk. Not currently possible without hacks.

2. Double check your iPhone's firmware version by going to Settings->General->About, Version should (as of this writing) say 1.0.2. IF your update actually went through.
If it doesn't, try the update again. If it errors out again, the scope of troubleshooting for that situation is much broader for a forum to quickly solve: consult apple's support website, or go to a local Apple store if you got one.

3. Skipping Image capture, have you gone into iPhoto to see if you can IMPORT pictures from your iPhone yet? Image capture is just a middle-man application and is not inherently too reliable. You can also try other image management apps such as Adobe's LightRoom, Google's Picasa and etc...

4. There is NO bluetooth browsing currently available/allowed on the iPhone. It's a feature everyone's been complaining about, perhaps in future updates they might/could enable this. So don't try to bluetooth connect your iPhone like a RAZR, it ain't gonna happen.

The only way to "browse" your iPhone is through available hacks. Considering your current experience with iPhone I would not recommend you tinker with things.

nifj97ab

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2010
Same problem with 3GS

For me I have the same problem and I've tried everything recommended by this thread and apple support. I cannot view my Iphone in Iphoto, but it syncs with no problem with Itunes. That does not solve my need to unload the pictures from my 3GS

I tried to "erase Iphone", and then it worked.. ! My Iphone showed up in Iphoto, but as soon as I restored from my backup in Itunes, there is no longer any Iphone in any application I try with, Iphoto, image Capture, Picasa etc.

I even tried with my wifes Iphone, and here there is no problems... So I figure it has something to do with the software or settings in my Iphone. Any suggestions?

nparmelee

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2008
You can always email yourself the photos and then go back to the state where iPhoto saw your iPhone and then re-sync them through iTunes.

software.ryan

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
ds_store remove

we are providing you every possible solution related to iPhone application and apps....... We give you proper solutions to all yours iPhone issues. We are more than happy to solve your all query related to iPhone.

romiebleed

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2011
johannesburg
Use Preview to Import Photos

Hi, Why dont you use preview to import your iphone pics to your mac and then import to iphoto.. Use preview to remove the pics from your iphone as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.