Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ahmed dahraj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2020
Hello everyone, I recently bought an iPhone XR used that is factory unlocked has no issues or whatsoever but today I noticed it is a byod device, i factory reseted and i was stuck at remote management lock asking for username and pass, I found a trick to bypass that and the phone was working as normal, i was able to put iCloud and download everything without any restrictions, I researched a bit and I got to know it’s mdm phone so I contacted the seller he said it’s shipped from overseas and you shouldn’t be worried even if it’s mdm Byod device it doesn’t have any mdm profile installed (which I checked myself and there was no profile management in general settings) and he said you shouldn’t be worried once the profile is removed nothing could be done and that the phone is registered just to the company name, he told me you can update it do whatever you want although he told me that trick to bypass that, and he sent me the report that the phone isn’t blacklisted and I checked that myself using imei and it came clean.
So the only problem I am concerned of is when I update this phone to iOS 14.2 the trick might get patched and i will be stuck forever if I ever chose to completely factory reset it someday,reset all settings doesn't seem to cause any problems, only complete factory reset makes that remote management problem appear , should I keep it since the phone is in perfect condition, he assured me that your privacy is protected since there is no mdm profile installed.
Should I return it back or be worried?
I have attached photos that shows supervised but has no profile installed.

Attachments

• 8D24FA65-56DF-45D2-8358-69549E28188C.png
    8D24FA65-56DF-45D2-8358-69549E28188C.png
    307.3 KB · Views: 301
  • E1138445-87AA-4B4F-BE7D-5EEE0C246891.png
    E1138445-87AA-4B4F-BE7D-5EEE0C246891.png
    207.4 KB · Views: 194

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Only the original owner / company purchased can remove the MDM enrollment from the Apple registration servers.

All our company issued phones are MDM enrolled because they want us to use the phones for work and not personal so we have to login with our Active Directory account credentials to enroll the phones.

I'd return it because the remote control (wipe, brick, warn of stolen/theft, and exact location) and iOS upgrade maximums are with the original owner.

Reactions: VSMacOne

tt061282

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada
This is a device that needs to be returned. Regardless, it could always be something that comes up in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.