Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZircoBen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2015
Utah, USA
A few months ago, I was really happy with my iPhone XS, and felt like I wasn’t really missing out on anything compared to the latest and greatest iPhones outside of a few camera features and a slight speed difference.

However, ever since I upgraded to iOS 16, and particularly in this last 16.0.3 update, I feel that my phone has gotten jittery, slow, and like it can’t keep up.

Is anyone else on the XS (or XR for that matter) having the same experience with iOS 16?

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
A few months ago, I was really happy with my iPhone XS, and felt like I wasn’t really missing out on anything compared to the latest and greatest iPhones outside of a few camera features and a slight speed difference.

However, ever since I upgraded to iOS 16, and particularly in this last 16.0.3 update, I feel that my phone has gotten jittery, slow, and like it can’t keep up.

Is anyone else on the XS (or XR for that matter) having the same experience with iOS 16?
Have you had your battery checked? It's possible the original battery might be in a state where it can't provide enough power to the phone to give you a smooth experience. I'm just throwing this out there because of the battery slowdown issues Apple was called out for when people were dumping their old phones and buying a new one when their phones felt real slow and then come to find out a new battery fixed the problem.

Reactions: ZircoBen

ZircoBen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2015
Utah, USA
Have you had your battery checked? It's possible the original battery might be in a state where it can't provide enough power to the phone to give you a smooth experience. I'm just throwing this out there because of the battery slowdown issues Apple was called out for when people were dumping their old phones and buying a new one when their phones felt real slow and then come to find out a new battery fixed the problem.
My battery health is at 78% - but it holds a good enough charge to sustain my light use.

It would be easy enough for me to put one in and see if that makes a difference, but I have to say I’m not excited about the error messages with having a third-party battery

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
My battery health is at 78% - but it holds a good enough charge to sustain my light use.

It would be easy enough for me to put one in and see if that makes a difference, but I have to say I’m not excited about the error messages with having a third-party battery
No no, take it to an Apple Store or a Best Buy, they both use genuine parts. Best Buy is an authorized Apple repair center. IIRC the repair if Apple does it should cost around $69. Best Buy should charge the same and they have all the tools from Apple and have been trained by Apple to do the job right.

Reactions: compwiz1202

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007

You should definitely get a new battery. You can pay Apple to do the battery swap and avoid the error message. I went third party route on my XS with my local tech (just walk in, drop off, pick up an hour later, so easy). The error message was annoying, but it goes away in week or so. After that the only difference is that the OS won't return a battery health score. But I don't need to know that because this new battery will outlast my use of the phone. I got the new battery this Summer.

I have not upgraded to 16 though. Just came to these forums to check on user experience. I'm leaning toward holding off upgrading to 16 for a couple of months because of concerns of the OS degrading the performance of the phone. I want this phone to last me until next Fall.

ZircoBen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2015
Utah, USA
This phone is so old (4 years now?) that dropping $69 for a genuine new battery just doesn’t feel worth it anymore- I’ll just grab an eBay battery and try it myself.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I got the battery replaced in my XS (with an official one) earlier this year. Didn't notice much difference on iOS 16 compared to 15 though Safari felt a bit laggier at times.

Does your battery still have peak performance in Settings? It may be worth trying a restore also.

ZircoBen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2015
Utah, USA
Yeah, it says it still supports peak performance, which seems weird to me. I wonder if iOS will throttle the phone if I have a third party battery in it.

I just ordered one on eBay for $9; we’ll see I guess.

A restore is a good idea. I most notice the lag while typing on the keyboard or when jumping around and multitasking a lot. It’s still a quick phone, but the occasional jitteriness is new in iOS 16.

Attachments

• 1CB2E08E-D6D2-4FA1-B417-6D5ADFE644C7.png
    1CB2E08E-D6D2-4FA1-B417-6D5ADFE644C7.png
    291.2 KB · Views: 125

yudilks

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2006
Yeah, it says it still supports peak performance, which seems weird to me. I wonder if iOS will throttle the phone if I have a third party battery in it.

A restore is a good idea. I most notice the lag while typing on the keyboard or when jumping around and multitasking a lot. It’s still a quick phone, but the occasional jitteriness is new in iOS 16.
Original battery is comparably cheap now. $69 for 4 years (less than $1.5 per month!!), and you can retain the waterproof rating if you let Apple change it for you.

Reactions: smoking monkey

BBDDVV

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2014
Had mine replaced by Apple (battery health was 87% but range anxiety started to kick in too often ;-)): made an appointment, walked in, had the the battery replaced and 45 minutes later I walked out again. And they confirmed the 'waterproof-ness' remains intact -> $69 is peace of mind ;-)

iOS16 is working fine for me, the battery seems to have given the phone a second life ;-)

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER

I personally wouldn't be putting a 9 buck eBay battery in my iPhone. I know Apple overcharges for everything, but there are plenty of horror stories out there in this regards.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
I personally wouldn't be putting a 9 buck eBay battery in my iPhone. I know Apple overcharges for everything, but there are plenty of horror stories out there in this regards.
That's exactly what was trying to warn the OP about. When you let Apple do it for $69 you get a phone back in the condition you gave it to them. If they break something they are responsible and you get a warranty and I think the OP will find out that it will probably cost him/her close to the same if not more to install a generic battery. On further review the OP says he/she plans to repair it, instead of having someone else do it. They are a tricky piece of electronics, good luck.

This is from my experience but generic batteries typically don't last as long in a device even in a new state.

Reactions: smoking monkey

ZircoBen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2015
Utah, USA
That's exactly what was trying to warn the OP about. When you let Apple do it for $69 you get a phone back in the condition you gave it to them. If they break something they are responsible and you get a warranty and I think the OP will find out that it will probably cost him/her close to the same if not more to install a generic battery. On further review the OP says he/she plans to repair it, instead of having someone else do it. They are a tricky piece of electronics, good luck.

This is from my experience but generic batteries typically don't last as long in a device even in a new state.
I'd be curious about your experience with generic batteries - have you found they don't last as well? In my opinion, a Lithium Ion battery is a Lithium Ion battery, it's a chemical mixture?

I've replaced several batteries before, actually did another phone last night for a family friend. It's fun? $9 + the $1 waterproof seal, and if it sucks, I can still ask Apple to do it for $69, right?

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
I'd be curious about your experience with generic batteries - have you found they don't last as well? In my opinion, a Lithium Ion battery is a Lithium Ion battery, it's a chemical mixture?

I've replaced several batteries before, actually did another phone last night for a family friend. It's fun? $9 + the $1 waterproof seal, and if it sucks, I can still ask Apple to do it for $69, right?
I've have used generic batteries in portable gaming devices and they typically don't last anywhere near an OEM battery. I'm lucky if I get 50% charge out of a generic brand battery.

I've had a generic battery installed in one of my Android phones and pretty much the same results except it worked better until the battery needed another charge. You might get better results and since you've indicated you plan on doing the repair, I guess it's worth the gamble.

As for taking it to Apple, you might want to check with them first if they will repair a device that was performed by a non authorized personnel. Someone else might be able to chime in on that. If it were me, i'd spend the $69 get a real OEM battery and repair from Apple. That way you get all the features that an OEM battery will provide.

Reactions: three and ZircoBen

BBDDVV

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2014
I did change batteries on old devices (5S, 6S SE 1st gen) myself as well, with varying results. The best results I had with 'brand' batteries. I also tried one from a famous repair website, but that turned out to be the worthless (and the least cheap)...
The risk is low, esp. for these old devices, as the price of a battery is so low.

As mentioned earlier, for newer devices I'd still go with the peace of mind of an original.

rjalda100

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2012
Canada
I don't have an XS, but my backup XR is running just fine on iOS 16. I expected worse, but it's running about the same if not slightly better than iOS 15.

Reactions: BBDDVV
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.