Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
They came out with one this year, type on it and get back to me and tell me how awesome it is with no spacing between the keys and a 4 inch screen, this swiftkey love is mostly due to bigger screens swiftkey lacks proper spacing I know I hatred my droid phones with swiftkey installed and I type better on this small ass iphone 5.

Ah, you're talking strictly about screen size.

Yes, for sure, a smaller space will make it more cramp to type. But you're implying Swiftkey is only so good because it's on a big screen. That helps, for sure, but it's good and better than iOS' keyboard because it's simply good and better than iOS' keyboard.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
This thread makes me lose faith in the human race.

The fact that people think that having to lift your finger off the screen to type is "cumbersome" is soul destroying. I'm imagining a world where lots of lazy people walk around dragging their feet because having to lift your legs off the ground is also considered cumbersome, or where people just slam their heads into plates of food and eat using their mouths directly because using a knife/fork/spoon is too cumbersome.

Why :(

Why are you using a smartphone then? Why not go back to a dumb phone and use T9? Fact is that Swype is faster and less cumbersome.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
Great response :rolleyes:

You just need to look back through this guys threads. You'll then realize he's just a troll. Out for attention and nothing more. He has a firm dislike for iOS and now he's back with his shinny new Android to let us all know how much better it is, as if we gave a damn.

Most here can eat a can of alphabet soup and crap better arguments than this guy.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I dont do a great deal of texting or e mailing from my phone, I didn't find too much wrong with the keyboard on any of the iPhone's I have owned, I prefer Swiftkey, Swype and the new Swype style keyboard on my SGS3 and Nexus 4, but in the end it is all down to one's personal taste and what one is comfortable with.

For my use, the type of keyboard installed on a phone is not a deal breaker.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
No it isn't. Typing in the usual manner is not complicated nor does it make you tired. Cumbersome is therefore the wrong word. It may be slower, I don't know. Typing using the swiping method is dramatically slower for me because I'm not used to it and don't see why I should learn a new typing method, when all of the other devices (keyboards, laptops etc. ) will stick to the old one!

"My iProduct doesn't have this so swiping keyboards suck"
:rolleyes:

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

If you check my post history you'll find I'm one of the more objective posters on this forum.

I just don't think swipe keyboards are very good and I certainly don't agree that typing normally is cumbersome. And like I said before, what's the point in learning a new typing method when hardly any devices support it?

I've said in this very thread that Android is better for typing on (both with the stock keyboard and SwiftKey), so I'm clearly not biased towards iOS.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
And like I said before, what's the point in learning a new typing method when hardly any devices support it?

It's very intuitive and there's not really anything to learn. You just type how you would normally type but instead of lifting your fingers between keys, you just do it in one motion. It's not like learning t9 or something.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
I love the swipe feature, although it presents me with a new issue I never thought I'd face on a keyboard.... When writing longer words I have to plan the route :-D

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
It is cumbersome to type with one hand on a standard touchscreen keyboard without Swype support. Lifting your thumb for each character on a touchscreen keyboard when typing one handed is much more cumbersome because it causes much more unnecessary vertical movement. Swype is also much faster because you do not have to slow down to type the next character of the word. And there is nothing natural about touch typing on any keyboard. You took years to learn how to type on a qwerty keyboard. It took me all of two minutes to learn to Swype type.

How on Earth do you cope going back to a PC with a keyboard? All that vertical movement!

You must hate lifting drinks to your mouth when these exist- http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00svctVrpPHbkl/Drinking-Hat.jpg

jamojamo

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
?... took years to learn how to type on a qwerty keyboard.

Ahh, that brings me back...
I remember my first two years of QWERTY school like it was yesterday. Had I known what the next few had in store especially when they introduced the "shift key" I would have shuddered in fear.

Lindsford

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
You just need to look back through this guys threads. You'll then realize he's just a troll. Out for attention and nothing more. He has a firm dislike for iOS and now he's back with his shinny new Android to let us all know how much better it is, as if we gave a damn.

Most here can eat a can of alphabet soup and crap better arguments than this guy.

Agreed.

Why one may prefer Swype, or Googles new variant of it in 4.2, however when did typing normal on a keyboard ever become "cumbersome"? That just sounds flat out lazy.
You have to raise your finger off the screen when typing? How terrible! -_-

----------

"your opinion disagrees with mine you must be a fanboy because you don't agree with me over a software tweak made for my OS of choice"

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
Agreed.

Why one may prefer Swype, or Googles new variant of it in 4.2, however when did typing normal on a keyboard ever become "cumbersome"? That just sounds flat out lazy.
You have to raise your finger off the screen when typing? How terrible! -_-

----------

"your opinion disagrees with mine you must be a fanboy because you don't agree with me over a software tweak made for my OS of choice"

It's the difference between the jitter bug and the moon walk. And so what if I don't like iOS? It's not like that is a secret with all the crap I've had to put up with in iOS.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
I would have to disagree with the OP. I have always found typing on an iPhone the most superior experience. I can fly on it and get some many presses wrong but iPhone corrects it. I haven't found another keyboard that I prefer better. The nexus 4 I'm using now is still having trouble keeping up with my presses and I have tried all kinds of keyboards on many different android phones. I'm not sure what it is. I absolutely love the typing on iPhone no matter what else I try.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
I would have to disagree with the OP. I have always found typing on an iPhone the most superior experience. I can fly on it and get some many presses wrong but iPhone corrects it. I haven't found another keyboard that I prefer better. The nexus 4 I'm using now is still having trouble keeping up with my presses and I have tried all kinds of keyboards on many different android phones. I'm not sure what it is. I absolutely love the typing on iPhone no matter what else I try.

+1

Although I will say I like the swype feature on the stock Jb keyboard. But I don't think it's any faster than my typing on my iPhone.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia

I agree with this, I can really fly typing on an iPhone. Especially my iPhone 5, I'm faster on it than I've ever been on a touchscreen device. I can't speak for the Nexus 4, but my Nexus 7 lagged behind my keyboard presses like my 3GS did. Not as badly as my 3GS did at the end of its life, but I thought it would be much better than it was.

I also found the stock Jelly Bean keyboard incredibly frustrating. If I ever mistyped letters early in a word and it autocorrected the word to something incorrect, but close enough that I'd only need to change the last one or two letters of the word, I'd then backspace over those last couple of letters... and it would revert to the incorrect typing I'd written earlier. This happened so often that I'd avoid using the N7 for anything longer than a few words. I've also tried Swiftkey, which was slightly better, but isn't the godsend from typing heaven that people make it out to be. It wouldn't correct anything that I typed in Boat Browser (when I bought it, it may have been fixed by now) though, so I gave it the boot and deleted it.

Diiiiips

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2011
The iPhone 5 is my first iPhone since the original and I've been using a Blackberry for the last few years, mainly because I just typed so much so a physical keyboard was best for me and all my friends were on BBM (it's still pretty popular here in the UK until the last quarter)

Anyway, my biggest worry about moving to iPhone was the keyboard but I've managed to type pretty rapidly on it. I was sceptical of autocorrect because it didn't seem great on my iPad but I think it's been without fault on the iPhone 5. It really is quick to type on imo.

Also I used a S3 for a couple of weeks. Sent it back as I didn't like the plasticky feel and the phone was terrible in daylight even under brightest of settings. I did however find many positives with it. Swiftkey is almost making me want to move to Android by itself (if the Nexus 4 battery wasn't as bad as reviews make out I'd have gone). Swiftkey prediction and autocorrect was just amazing, I really would be willing to pay £7-10 if there was someway of getting it on iOS. Which does make me wonder why Apple have never tried buying Swiftkey or Swype and implementing it.

Never got round to trying Swype when I had the S3 as I prefer using 2 thumbs to type from my Blackberry days but I can imagine it being good. Swiftkey have got a beta coming out soon of a keyboard that is a mix of Swiftkey and their version of Swype, so you can use both methods which sounds really good.

I still do get tempted by the Note 2 and can see myself moving when the S4 comes. Due to hating how notifications work on iOS, no profiles and no notification light as I hate using sounds for messages - they get really annoying when you're getting a lot per day.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
I have Swiftkey, but I'm not sure what the big deal is. I understand it's suppose to adapt and learn as you use it more. I haven't even bother to install it on my Galaxy Note 2.

I use swype in the past and just couldn't get use to it. However, I'm trying it out again with my Note 2 and do find myself using it more. Usually it's because I'm too lazy to type. I don't think I'm any faster with swype than typing. With swype, it's difficult for me to build muscle memory because your fingers/hands are always relative to the previous key you press. I guess it's possible to build up some muscle memory with common words you often type.

Yes, I'm using swype more now. Not because it's faster, but because I'm just lazy sometimes.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
I'm more used to the iPhone keyboard, it's more natural. Give me an android device to type on, and I'll make a least several mistakes in a sentence.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I could type really type fast on the physical keyboard of my Motorola Q9h. I find the iPhone keyboard pretty good. Never have tried an Android or Swype keyboard, so I can't really compare. However, what works best for one person doesn't mean it works best for everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.