Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skybolt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
Nashville, TN, USA
The "constrain" dropdown box on the lower left will let you choose the aspect ratio of your crop. Not sure about custom (not at the mac right now), but I think that same box will allow it.

DarkDTSHD

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
skybolt said:
The "constrain" dropdown box on the lower left will let you choose the aspect ratio of your crop. Not sure about custom (not at the mac right now), but I think that same box will allow it.

Hello Mary,

Thanks for your reply. Are you using PE4? If so, I don't suppose you could post a screenshot of the "constrain" dropdown box...showing the available aspect ratio choices... :)

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
When editing a photo you have two options to do that. Along the bottom there should be some editing tools. One is crop that just lets you drag a rectangular area over your picture to crop. This way you can quickly do any ratio but have to rely on your eye to get what you want.

The other option is the constrain menu that should be directly left of the crop button. It has a bunch of preset ratios but also has a custom option. I attached a screenshot of this menu open in my iPhoto (version 6).

Attachments

• Constrain.jpg
    Constrain.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 62

DarkDTSHD

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
yippy said:
When editing a photo you have two options to do that. Along the bottom there should be some editing tools. One is crop that just lets you drag a rectangular area over your picture to crop. This way you can quickly do any ratio but have to rely on your eye to get what you want.

The other option is the constrain menu that should be directly left of the crop button. It has a bunch of preset ratios but also has a custom option. I attached a screenshot of this menu open in my iPhoto (version 6).

Ahh thanks for posting the pic (Mitthaw too)! Was about to ask some one to do so. And when you're finished cropping that photo you just click Done correct? Does it allow you to name the modified file? Or does it automatically assign one?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.