Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rhobes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2004
Bigfork, MT
Hello-

Just aquired Panther & am moving my photo's from OS9 into the OSX side, into iPhoto. I used Olympus Camedia software on OS9 to download my pics to(from my Olympus C-730 UZ). Since I don't need Camedia on OSX's Panther, I decided to try iPhoto.

Right away I noticed a big fault of iPhoto. It seems you can't readily resize your pics. I only notice a resizing option if you use the "Mail"(to e-mail) feature-which I don't even use. Am I missing it?????

Thanks for any pointers here...........

Rhobes :D

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I'm not sure which of three meanings you have in mind:

1. If you want to make a copy of one or more photos scaled to a certain size (say to e-mail them or FTP them to a web site), you can select the photos in the "Organize" display and use the File->Export menu choice. On the File Export tab you will see an option to scale.

2. If you want to scale the display size of photos in the "Organize" display, you drag and slider in the bottom right.

3. If you want to permanently scale the size of a photo in your library (which serves no purpose I can think of other than saving a little disk space), I think you have to File->Export the photos you have in mind, delete the originals from your library, and then File->Import them again.

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
I use iPhoto a lot, however, I am far from an expert at it. That being said, I know of no resizing option. I believe you are correct, the email feature is the only thing that does that, other than cropping it, which we don't want. I guess you could also export it and resize it when you export it and then reimport it back in, but that would be a pain in the rear. Sorry, I don't know an easy solution.

Rhobes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2004
Bigfork, MT
Take this for an example:

I'm using Yahoo(not able to make it a pop account in safari "Mail-not compatable of course) to send a pic via e-mail.Previously,(using the camera's software in OS9) I would have resized a few pics to send keeping them whithin my pic library so when I hit attach I just select those sizes for e-mailing.

Now,when I hit attach to send a pic, I get the next field saying "localized string not found", can't get to the pics in photo library in iPhoto. At this point, if i could get there, I still have no resized pics to select. So I would like to resize within the library & not have to export/import then try to get them into yahoo. Guess I should use the camera's software and not iPhoto to get it to work as in OS9??? :confused:

TIA Rhobes

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Rhobes said:
Guess I should use the camera's software and not iPhoto to get it to work as in OS9?
If that works, I agree with your conclusion. Apple's Mail application and iPhoto don't seem to have the feature you want: the ability to scale while adding a photo from your library as an e-mail attachment.

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
Maybe I don't understand-fully but I think Doctor Q offered the best option:

Doctor Q said:
3. If you want to permanently scale the size of a photo in your library (which serves no purpose I can think of other than saving a little disk space), I think you have to File->Export the photos you have in mind, delete the originals from your library, and then File->Import them again.

I use the Fiel>Export option a lot, very handy for updating my custom websites.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.