Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

veedubdrew

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
What machine are you running this on? Is it stable and are there any bugs remaining?

When flipping through photos in the organize mode, is it faster? Even on my top line PowerBook with 1GB RAM and 128 video, each photo pixelates and takes a second to come in clear in iPhoto 4. Has this been sped up?

Details please! I can't wait for my iLife to ship!

-Drew

mocman said:
Lets see the main fix is FAST EVERYTHING and Great new Red Eye fix.....Oh yea new Slideshow that is Sweet and I only have 512mb ram!

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
veedubdrew said:
Has this been sped up?
Still noticeable jerks when scrolling, and the pixelation, whilst not as bad, is still apparent. The only slideshow transition worth looking at is 'droplet', but even that looks unfinished. The useless bar: can add/remove a few select items, but you can't remove/hide it at all. Let's call this one an 'own goal', shall we?

Still, album folders. Can't complain.

sjpetry

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2004
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
Phat_Pat said:
you seem to be beating around the bush... is it a legal copy or did you "happen" to "run" into it and "accidently" get it. :rolleyes:

edit: i've already ordered mine btw so i would have no intention of downloading it.

I have also ordered it but would like to know how you guys got yours?

mocman

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2004
Running on a G5 Dp 1.8 etc. Imovie HD also a Great improvement......Oh Yea LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS.........

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
Anyone try processing RAW in iPhoto yet? I am excited about being able to keep most of my everyday photographic workflow in iPhoto. I purchased iLife and iPhoto the day they were announced and can't wait to receive them in the mail. In the meantime, I'd love to hear more from those who already have a copy.

3Memos

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
amin said:
Anyone try processing RAW in iPhoto yet? I am excited about being able to keep most of my everyday photographic workflow in iPhoto. I purchased iLife and iPhoto the day they were announced and can't wait to receive them in the mail. In the meantime, I'd love to hear more from those who already have a copy.

I haven't tried RAW yet, but the Adjustment controls in iPhoto are vastly improved over the previous version. My favorites include the warming controls, exposure controls, and straighten controls.

Indeed, iPhoto is much noticeably faster. Im running 1.25GB on a Dual G5. The new Red Eye feature is much better than in previous iPhoto. You simply click the center of the red eye and iPhoto takes care of the rest. New calendar view really makes it easy to organize and view at a glance all photos taken during a period of time. Very nice.

The biggest improvement to iPhoto has got to be Photo books. 8 new, visually attractive themes that blows the old Photo books out of the water. Very easy to use. I think alot of novices will find Photo books to be the indispensable feature of iPhoto.

mactropy

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2004
M&M's
Well, I really hope, you guys like iLife '05. I also really hope that you paid for it.
And . . . I hope that those of you who downloaded it somewhere, will buy it, since it is "awesome", "rocks", "blabla".
Oh, none of the information in this thread is so exclusive by the way, that you couldn't obtain it from Apple's website.
So, even though I've not used iLife '05 yet, I'd like to add the following to the discussion:
Hey guys, this is soooooo cool. Wow, you won't believe it. iPhoto 5 rocks. Oh, and iMovie HD . . . wow. Great. It all just rocks!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

3Memos

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
It's nice to test drive out new software. ;) I will be buying iLife on DVD when it comes out, and my brother will be buying a Mac mini soon, so he'll also have a copy for himself. I love iLife!

mactropy

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2004
M&M's
Sure, I'm all for test driving! As long as it doesn't turn into free-riding.
B.T.W.: For my test drives, I usually wait until the software is officially released, and then go to the next Apple auth. reseller.

But, I don't want to beat a dead horse. So I'll shut up now.

James L

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
mocman said:
Running on a G5 Dp 1.8 etc. Imovie HD also a Great improvement......Oh Yea LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS.........

What mocman is probably saying is that he is a thief and/or a pirate, and/or someone broke an NDA and let him play with a pre-shipping copy.

Ladies and gentleman who are upset that iLife has gone from free to $79... look no further for the cause.

James L

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
Oh, and I used it quite extensively at MWSF and it does rock! I have already ordered my pre-PAID copy of it, and am just awaiting shipping.

dav

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2004
About 20 posts have been asking where he got it...

Yes, iWork (Apple Internal Edition) and iLife 05 (iPhoto 5 and iMovie HD) are available on BT illegally. Now stop asking, please :rolleyes:

Phat_Pat

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2004
I Live Where I Live
dav said:
About 20 posts have been asking where he got it...

Yes, iWork (Apple Internal Edition) and iLife 05 (iPhoto 5 and iMovie HD) are available on BT illegally. Now stop asking, please :rolleyes:
i wonder how long it takes for apple to crack down on that... :eek:

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
word of warning, do not buy iLife if you have a G3, iPhoto is dog slow and things like transitions do not work!

3Memos

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
iPhoto5 still has some bugs that need to be squashed.

1. Selecting PhotoBooks from the drop-down list in the bottom right "+" button stalls the app.

2. After updating a picture in a Photo Book, the screen doesn't redraw until you do something else.

3. Still crashes during odd moments, with changes not saved. This one is a biggie.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
Whilst iLife is indeed 'out there' I can't be arsed to download it - it's huge and I'd rather have the DVD thanks. In a way it's good the US release is a week before the rest of the worlds - you can find all the bugs for us. When it comes out over here we'll be one week nearer to the .1 bug fixes :(

Benj

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2004
London
3Memos said:
I haven't tried RAW yet, but the Adjustment controls in iPhoto are vastly improved over the previous version. My favorites include the warming controls, exposure controls, and straighten controls.

Does it even process RAW? I assumed it wouldn't and that you would only be able to view and organise RAWs in iPhoto. Even if it does, I don't hold high expectations.

All versions iPhoto are next to useless for any serious photo work, starting with the obtuse file structure. Fingers crossed this is an improvement.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
jimsowden said:
Whoops, anyway I've been playing with it too and It is awesome. Very fast, I like the photo adjustment features.

Hey its Jim...the man with the inside goss...well at least last year that is.

mocman

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2004
I installed a photo in raw format and went without a hitch. Like stated before the new Iphoto5 has a vast amount of improvements.

blueknight

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2004
enough of iPhoto!

I want to hear about Garageband, so anyone who may (for whatever reason) have access to the app can you tell me if performance has improved over version 1.1 please! I'm wondering about ordering iLife 05 but I want to know it has what I want - speed man - speed!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.