Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cowinabox302

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
I know how to change the default mail viewer and stuff but is there a way to change the default mail writer? I use thunderbird and would like to send pictures from iphoto using thunderbird but that doesn't seem possible (or at least easy) because the link at the bottom for email seems pretty determined to only open mail. any thoughts?

gavd

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2006
There is a way to change which e-mail app is used but I don't think Thunderbird is supported. In iPhoto Prefs at the bottom of the General Options is a selection box for you to choose how to e-mail photos.

Only thing I can suggest is you look in there and see if Thunderbird. I don't have it in my list but I don't have Thunderbird on my mac.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
cowinabox302 said:
I know how to change the default mail viewer and stuff but is there a way to change the default mail writer? I use thunderbird and would like to send pictures from iphoto using thunderbird but that doesn't seem possible (or at least easy) because the link at the bottom for email seems pretty determined to only open mail. any thoughts?
Launch Mail.

Select the Mail > Preferences... menu item.

Click the General tab.

Click the Default Email Reader: popup menu.

Select Thunderbird.

cowinabox302

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
i know, that doesn't work though. it is just the default mail reader. after doing that if you go to iphoto and click email photos it still opens a new message in mail, not thunderbird

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
cowinabox302 said:
i know, that doesn't work though. it is just the default mail reader. after doing that if you go to iphoto and click email photos it still opens a new message in mail, not thunderbird
Right, you are.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.