Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matfrost

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2005
I am running iPhoto 4.0.3, and have noticed something rather frustrating. When I view the photos, and scoll through them, when I stop on a photo it renders it in a second or so, but in that brief period the photo goes from very out of focus, to spot on in focus, to very slightly out of focus. Is there any way to stop this so it displays the images in focus?
If i load the images up in Photoshop they are fine. I have also noticed the same problem on another Mac.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
Not sure, but it may be due to whatever algorithm iPhoto uses for the scaled views. I know that in Photoshop, certain levels of zoom look clear (25%, 50%, and 100%) but others look blurry or jagged (16.7%, 33.3%, etc.). Maybe it is a similar thing. I haven't really noticed it myself, but I will take a look tonight.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
matfrost said:
I assume no one else has noticed this then?

I have, and it's annoying. There was a thread on it in the apple discussions (actually a lot of threads). The conclusion seemed to be that a) it's only when rotated from horiz to vert. and b) doesn't affect actual image quality, just the display within iPhoto.

It's really poor--it's supposedly an algorithm to make things look better, but, like font smoothing and other OS X features, actually makes things look blury.

I have no idea if it was fixed in iPhoto 5.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
When you're editing it happens to all unzoomed photos.

Click the edit button, you'll see your photo displayed, then a fraction of a second later it blurs. This happens when the photo is fully zoomed out, on any size iPhoto window (it does not occur if the photo is zoomed in to any degree) so it's definitely an algorithm iPhoto is applying after the fact to unzoomed photos.

It's annoying, but when I start sharpening it looks to me like the photo un-blurs, so it could be worse.

[edit] It still occurs in 5.0.1 and with all the improved editing features makes it more annoying; I never noticed in in 4 because I gernerally only concentrated on photos in slideshow mode.

theposse

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2004
TENERIFE
I don't have the same problem with iphoto but when i open the photos in preview they go really sharp and then go blurred whats going on i opened up the preferences and messed around with them but to no avail and my photos are still blurred.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Scott

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
when you open a photo in Edit mode, double click on the button in the brightness slider, but don't move it. The picture should now be much clearer. Hope that solves it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.