Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abayat491

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
i was wondering if anyone has information regarding the way iphoto stores your photos. i have transferred all my photos from CD's and from my camera to iphoto but it stores them in these numbered folders and breaks them up into random folders.

for example, ill import a set of photos from my camera and it will place all but two of them in one folder named "31" and the other two in a folder named "06". when i try to move those photos from one folder into another, then i go to iphoto and doubleclick and nothing comes up.

my question is, is there anyway to reorganize the photos in my iphoto folder in a more organized way? and can i move photos and manually organize them and still be able to open them succesfully in the iphoto application?

i appreciate any feedback since this is turning out to be kind of a headache for me.

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
abayat491 said:
i was wondering if anyone has information regarding the way iphoto stores your photos. i have transferred all my photos from CD's and from my camera to iphoto but it stores them in these numbered folders and breaks them up into random folders.

for example, ill import a set of photos from my camera and it will place all but two of them in one folder named "31" and the other two in a folder named "06". when i try to move those photos from one folder into another, then i go to iphoto and doubleclick and nothing comes up.

my question is, is there anyway to reorganize the photos in my iphoto folder in a more organized way? and can i move photos and manually organize them and still be able to open them succesfully in the iphoto application?

i appreciate any feedback since this is turning out to be kind of a headache for me.

The only real way to use iPhoto is to let it organize the photos, and not muck about in the file structure. That is, once photos are in iPhoto, only access them through the app. I find it annoying too, which is why I don't use iPhoto.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
abayat491 said:

iPhoto organises them in date format, at least the file creation date. Year > 1-12 for month > 1-31 for date.

If I need to edit a photo, I drag n' drop to my Desktop, then edit in Gimp (or whatever) and then once I'm done, drag n' drop back into iPhoto. I don't touch the file system.

I suspect iPhoto doesn't open the larger file for the pic you select - because according to iPhoto's database is still looking for the pic in the original folder

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
You aren't supposed to ever mess with the folder structure of your iPhoto library. iPhoto is a visual inferface for your photo library. When you want a photo, open iPhoto and drag it out or export it, or use one of the buttons at the bottom to send it where you want it.

This isn't windows (you sounds like a recent switcher). You don't need to organize the folders. Leave them alone and let iPhoto do the work.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
Danksi said:
If I need to edit a photo, I drag n' drop to my Desktop, then edit in Gimp (or whatever) and then once I'm done, drag n' drop back into iPhoto. I don't touch the file system.
You can also designate an external editor in the preferences and then right click the image and choose edit in external editor. It does like what you described but without having to re-import the image.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.