Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mgood86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
I have a 3g 20gb ipod that is freezing when downloading/updating in Itunes. Then it gives an error message about a door being open on the drive (the ipod drive). Has anyone ever encountered this problem? I have a pc and I formatted the hdd and restored it and updated it. Hope someone has any help.

Thanks.
Marlene

mgood86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
Restore and reset etc...

Yeah, I restored and updated it with the latest but it still freezes after a couple songs...and says a door is open on the ipod...Is confusing the heck out of me. I thought that could be fixed by a format, restore, and update.

mgood86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
Other computer

Tried it on my other computer but it does the same thing...guess I am going to sell the hard drives if I can't get them fixed...Just wish I could fix them...Could I run a scan disk utilty program to check the drive for errors then fixes them? Guess I'll try it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah, that's a good idea. Run a scan disk or disk check app over them to see if it can fix any problems. I don't know of any good apps for Windows to do this though, sorry. :eek:

mgood86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
Yeah I'll try that and let you know how it goes....battery needs a good charge so it may be later today...thanks.

mgood86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
Hey sorry haven't gotten back til now...had a death in the family.

Any way. Ran a scan disk program and it went through and didn't come up with any error notifications. Did a defrag and no problems there. Guess I will have to go buy a new cable and try that. Then, if no ideas come around, I will sell the hard drive. I now have two hard drives, a 10 gb and a 20 gb that both freeze when downloading, and a dead 15 gb hard drive. It sucks.

Hope someone out there has some help.

If anyone knows how to go through a hard drive and refurbish it, maybe they could give me some instruction on how to refurbish a dead hard drive that would be cool. I am pretty cool when working with electronics...anti static work area and all, plus a general know how.

Thanks

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I'm sorry to hear about the death. :(

For all intents and purposes, refurbishing the drive is impossibly hard without the right tools and some serious experience. Maybe look into getting a Flash-based iPod since they're relatively more durable in terms of their storage medium. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.