Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wbread5

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 23, 2006
Beaverland Hills, OR
So here's the short of it:

I've had my black 30Gb iPod 5G since about 2-3 months after they debuted, and I've had no problems with it. I love it.

I also just got my 2.0 Ghz 60Gb MacBook yesterday.
I plugged my iPod into my USB port (and I mean only plugging it in, I made no changes or updates) and ejected. Then my sister wanted to listen to it, so I pick it up and hit the menu button to wake it up. Nothing.

I hold Menu and the middle button to restart. Suddenly, the Apple logo pops up on a BRIGHT PURPLE screen! The iPod screen goes black and doesn't respond for a few minutes. Then it comes back to life, and functions normally. But with a dim green-tinted screen.

I let my sister listen to it anyway, as everything seemed normal with the exception of the screen. A half-hour later, she brought it back to me and showed me that the screen had returned to normal! Apparently she had watched a video, and that had knocked out whatever demon had made its nest in my iPod.

What the heck?! Any thoughts? Has this happened to anyone else?

**UPDATE**
Just thought I'd give an update on the purple iPod, in case this happens to anyone else.

Turns out that iDuck was right -- my iPod's backlight was failing to kick in because the battery had been run completely down earlier that day. That had caused the backlight to fail, and it just took the iPod a while after being charged for the backlight to kick in once a video was played. From what I can tell, this is fairly normal.

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
I think the purple screen with the apple logo is normal when the iPod is rebooting. As for the green tint...I have no idea...are you sure it wasn't under any different lights where you were at that time that made it appear green?

...if it is working well now...don't sweat it, but if it happens again and is repeatable, definitely take it to the apple store and have it checked out

wbread5

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 23, 2006
Beaverland Hills, OR
The Apple logo is normal for a reboot, but it's usually a very faint image and a black background. But when I say purple, I'm talkin' BRIGHT, flourescent purple.

No, the iPod wasn't in a different lighting. The screen dimmed dramatically and was a very distictive (ugly) green shade. Besides, lighting shouldn't matter with the backlit screen, especially iPod screens.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
If the problem reproduces, can you take a pic of it? I don't think we can help you, but you can show it to the people at your local AppleCentre, and I wanna see what it looks like!

luckylisp

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2006
NY state
I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens again. If it happens again, you should definitely take it in to apple. It might be a defect with the LCD.

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
The ugly green shade wasn't a problem with the LCD. The backlight on the iPod just didn't turn on for some reason. The screen on your iPod uses similar technology to a digital watch or calculator. Do you notice that when your iPod isn't on it has that same green-ish colour? That colour is just the back of the LCD which is only visable when the backlight isn't on. If the problem were to occur again, a restore in the iPod firmware updater would fix the problem.

The bright purple was normal too. The screen starts off dim, and then gets bright after the backlight kicks in. The image might appear purple for a couple seconds.

Have fun with your new MacBook.

wbread5

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 23, 2006
Beaverland Hills, OR
Update

Just thought I'd give an update on the purple iPod, in case this happens to anyone else.

Turns out that iDuck was right -- my iPod's backlight was failing to kick in because the battery had been run completely down earlier that day. That had caused the backlight to fail, and it just took the iPod a while after being charged for the backlight to kick in once a video was played. From what I can tell, this is fairly normal.

Hayley

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2007
IPod Nano 3g 8gig, sreen looks like a photo negative

I love my Ipod but for just over a week or so now the screen on it will turn completely black and then look like all the pictures are like photo negatives, this lasts any where from 30 secs to 5 mins. I intend on taking it to the apple store that is close to me. Has anyone else had this issue though. I have even reset the thing but same issue arises.... thanx :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.