Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sionharris

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
Is there anyway to control my iPod using FrontRow? It seems stupid that I can only play the music stored on my computer.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
your iPod holds the exact amount of music or less than what's on your computer. the iPod cannot, by the very nature of how iTunes and iPod work, have more music than you have on your computer.

you could buy the Apple iPod Universal Dock, which has a remote sensor, and control your iPod through that, but you'd have to hook it up to external speakers.

sionharris

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
your iPod holds the exact amount of music or less than what's on your computer. the iPod cannot, by the very nature of how iTunes and iPod work, have more music than you have on your computer.

you could buy the Apple iPod Universal Dock, which has a remote sensor, and control your iPod through that, but you'd have to hook it up to external speakers.

My iPod holds more than my computer, hence why I want to play music from it using FrontRow.

I do not synchronise my iPod with iTunes, which I am guessing you had assumed before you wrote your reply.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
no there is no way to control with front row as there is no rf signal or bluetooth built into the ipod. I don't get why you would need a remote to control the ipod unless you had it hooked up to speakers in which case you should really just go buy a specific speaker set that has the remote or a remote that is made specifically for the ipod and had a connection into the ipod.

sionharris

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
Obviously my iPod was plugged into my MacBook at the time, so I assumed that FrontRow would be able to access all of the same music that iTunes can. I was being lazy and wanted to play around with my iPod with the remote whilst doing some cleaning, but alas that doesn't seem possible.

Thanks anyway.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
well that makes a lot more sense now. it was not obvious at all actually. i understand your point about having the ipod plugged in, but the original question is actually moot because the usb that is used to sync the ipod and the manner in which info is sent back and forth to the comp, which you said you don't do anyway, is not a continuous flow of information, but rather only send and receives into while the sync in in progress. i hear your point though.

sionharris

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound quite so anal. I should have explained myself better in the first place. Shame I can't access my iPod, but thanks for helping nonetheless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.