Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 3, 2003
here's my story. i'd appreciate any comments and/or opinions.

i have the 3rd gen. 10 GB iPod. at the time of the purchase, i had less than 10 GB of music. as of now, i have a little over 15 GB of music.

i also recently started using iPod while jogging. the problem is, the iPod's buffer is too small and tracks get skipped when it runs out. (compounding the problem is the fact i've encoded at 160 kbps and thus 32 MB RAM in the iPod fits less music than if they were encoded at 128 kbps.)

i purchased a belt clip to see if it would reduce the shock. thus far, it hasn't. i'm going to try another configuration...

now the question. i'm torn between three options:

1) keep the iPod, just deal with the shock and not having all my music in it.

2) sell the iPod, get the 20 GB iPod so i'll still have to deal with the shock but at least i'll have all my music.

3) sell the iPod, get the mini/armband so i won't have all the music (which, i think, is ok...) but i won't have to deal with the shock.

Phatpat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2003
Cambridge, MA
How are you carrying your ipod? I've also got the 3G 10 gb, and run with it pretty regularly. I hold it in my hand as I run, and haven't had any problems.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 3, 2003
well, i used to do that and there'd be no problems. the problem only happens when i clip my iPod to my shorts - pretty much constant shaking. (not violently, but it's still shaking.)

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
I've had some similar problems while running. I have learned a few things, first off let the ipod play for at least 10-20 seconds before you run, so it can fill up the cache, and second hold the ipod. When mine was attached to my shorts or in a pocket, it just weighed to much and skipped (sometimes having the missing file icon), but when I started to hold it, it works perfectly now, hands work as a shock absorber.

My advice is to just hold the thing while you run, and let it fill up cache before you run, and try to take away any shock on it. That should get rid off all the skipping.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 3, 2003
:(

i just bought a belt clip case too...

one thing i will try the next time i jog is to clip the iPod facing my body. if i let the iPod "hang" on my shorts, facing out, then it moves quite a bit. perhaps having it sandwiched between the shorts and my body will lessen the shocks. if that works, i'm pretty sure i'll be keeping it.

mini... it would be a no brainer to get if it was $200! :D

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 3, 2003
Originally posted by Gymnut
What about this?

well, the thing is, i've already spent "enough" on iPod accessories... any more and i will probably feel better if i got a new hardware... :D

thanks for the input. i'm gonna try one more running config. and see if the skipping would go away. if not, i'll seriously think about mini/arm band.

it was my new year's resolution to run this year... and so far, i've been good. so i don't want to let this detract from my efforts!

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
Armband!

Your lower body moves too much when running. You'll never find a suitable belt clip etc. Keep it on your upper body with an armband, the only better solution is to hold it.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
The iPod isn't meant for running. It's a hard drive. You can run with it, but don't be surprised when you shorten it's life-span. You wouldn't shake an external drive while using it, would you?

Dan

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
The ipod mini is better suited for this. Create a playlist (yes you can get all the songs you need on a few gigs) and get an armband which minimizes shock.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 3, 2003
thanks for the input, guys.

i am *this* close to selling my iPod and getting the mini/arm band.

i'll see how the new config. would work this evening when i jog.

i realize it's a HD based player, but i'm also talking about light jogging (~10 min/mile) for 30-40 min. a day with breaks. i really don't want to spend nearly $100 for a flash based player and batteries, not to mention converting my AAC to mp3... (i think there are some AAC-enabled flash players out there...)

anyway, thanks for the inputs. i'll see how it goes tonight.

phrancpharmD

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2003
Historic Norcross
My wife is an avid runner, and loves to listen to music when she runs. Because of all the feedback I've read concerning iPods skipping while running I've ordered her an iPod Mini (pink, of course) and armband just so she can use it while running. The 4GB capacity will be WAY more than she needs for her 45 minute runs five days a week, and I am very optimistic she will have very few problems with skipping (assuming the armband is small enough to fit her arm, of course!)
Frank

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 3, 2003
well, my experiment worked...

by clipping my iPod against my body (as opposed to having it hang out), i experienced no skips this evening. i am imagining that when iPod was hanging out by the belt clip, it was basically dangling and got shaken up a lot. by sandwiching the iPod between my body and my shorts, iPod remained no more shaken up than if i were to walk with it.

it may not be the most comfortable way to hold the iPod for an avid runner, but i'm just a light jogger so no problem for me...

i guess i will be holding onto this iPod now. sorry if anyone though i'd be selling it...

eoliver

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2003
Salt Lake City
ipod while running

I had problems with the ipod while running with both the first generation and g3 models. I have to agree with the other postings. Carry the ipod and it will not skip! I have run probably 10 marathons with the ipod and carrying the thing has not been troublesome. Don't use the belt clip, the skipping also burns up battery power like crazy! It causes the disk to continually spin in an attempt to fill the small buffer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.