Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thewickedmusic

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2004
food for thought

Originally posted by louden
What happens if you crank up the bit rate? Do you agree the sound is better? and if that's the case, can you get any better sound than lossless WMA? Comparitively, MP3 is crap... Please don't spread FUD

Just as a side note, if a song is recorded in a certain bit rate and you turn up the bit rate you do not gain any sound quality what-so-ever. A song is in its bit rate and that's all it can ever be; unless you convert it to a lower bit rate which would lose sound quality. It is what it is. So a 128 song cranked up to say 198+ is only going to sounds as good as its 128 originator (plus a few megabytes for the 60 some "ghost" bits, or bits that you can't hear):cool:
:confused:
As yet another side note WMA is far from a lossless format. I'm not saying that mp3 or AAC are lossless formats either. As of today's technology there is no consumer audio format that can hold lossless audio sound and have compression in the same package. However many Audiophiles agree that Dolby has made headway in the audio quality:compression ratio :cool:

Please excuse any grammer or spelling mistakes I'm not a very gifted writer :) :) :D

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
Assuming you start with a recording of pristine quality - the higher bit rate rip from that initial master will sound better, but some lossy formats are comparatively better than others. That pristine quality could be in wav format, or whatever a CD would be. Of course I agree if you try to convert from a less than lossless format to another, it's only going to get worse. Trust me, I've tried it. That's why I want lossless.

Now, there are a couple of lossless formats out there, and WMA and APE are the only two I know of - check out Windows Media 9 if you don't believe me. I'm sure AAC will soon as well. You don't lose quality in ripping to those lossless formats. They're a step in the right direction.

rogo

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2004
There is indeed a lossless WMA format available now in Windows Media 9.

There is also FLAC.

APE, from Monkey's Audio, appears to be the most user-friendly of the three.

Mark

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
Originally posted by rogo
There is indeed a lossless WMA format available now in Windows Media 9.

There is also FLAC.

APE, from Monkey's Audio, appears to be the most user-friendly of the three.

Mark

There's lossless AIF too, and MP4 has a lossless ability, so WMA is one of a few. It's sucks. It's Microsuck. Microsuck sucks. So does it. It sucks not because it's made by Microsuck. It sucks because it is made by Microsuck. I have spoken, nothign more the argue.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
Originally posted by Photorun
There's lossless AIF too, and MP4 has a lossless ability, so WMA is one of a few. It's sucks. It's Microsuck. Microsuck sucks. So does it. It sucks not because it's made by Microsuck. It sucks because it is made by Microsuck. I have spoken, nothign more the argue.

Don't sugar-coat it kid, tell us how you really feel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.