Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lifeisgood360

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
hi im trying to replace my 3G ipod's battery through apple..
and i was reading the terms and it said apple may charge up to $100 for diagnostic fees.. what is this?! and can i use my $50 store credit i received from the iPod 3G settlement case?

coal

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2005
Portland, OR
I don't have an answer for your $50 credit question, but regarding the battery, since the 3G iPod is out of warranty, why not replace it yourself?

I've replaced numerous batteries and it is not at all difficult.

There are many companies that sell new batteries, but I've only ever used OWC.

For a 3G unit, their battery runs around $26 and they also provide a video tutorial on their site: http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Item.cfm?ID=6943&Item=NWTIPOD8503

Check it out before you decide to send in your $100 to Apple. Good luck!

RollTide

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2006
Alabama
I have a 3G and the battery started to last only about 25 minutes so I replaced it my self. I bought the battery and like coal said it was like 26 bucks, and that comes with tools and such.

The directions that came with battery sucked, I would just google it and see what comes up(helped me). Just make sure you start in the rigt place, and you will need something sharper than and average screwdriver to get it started:)

P.S. You will have to be pretty violent with it to get it started but don't worry it's tough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.