Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
I was putting some of my files onto my ipod (gen 3, 20gb) to transfer them to another computer. I had it plugged into my computer for about an hour. Then I began to smell buring plastic and I felt my iPod and it was really hot. Is this at all normal. I had my iPod resting on a wooden desk.

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
i wouldn't say it's normal to smell burning plastic... but .... :rolleyes: the ipod does get pretty hot when the hd has to work overtime (which should only happen when transferring files to the computer)
if it was in a case, take it out next time, and maybe rotate it every 15 minutes (so it'll roast evenly :p)
or maybe your environment is just hot?

in short, you shouldn't be smelling burning plastic, but it does get hot, and try and keep it cool...

ipods kick ...,
reality

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
It was on my desk, out of its case, on wood, the indoor temp is 75 degrees F. Is it normal for this smell of buring plastic to be wafting through out a 4000sq. ft house?

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
I don't recommend editing video on an iPod

I transfered my iMovie to my dads computer because he has a superdrive and iDVD. I opened the file while it was still on the iPod and was messing around with the final touches of it in iMovie and iDVD. When I was finished I went to unplug the iPod, it was sooo hot I couldn't handle it, never had it that hot. I wouldn't recommend doing that, incase you were thinkings of being as stupid as I was. :)

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
Its still under warrenty, so if i take it to the store what will they do/say?

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
did you not see the fine print on the side of the iPod's box stating the burning plastic smell was in fact intentional? it also states that if your iPod spontaneuously combusts, this is within hardware specifications, and you're SOL.

EJBasile said:
Its still under warrenty, so if i take it to the store what will they do/say?

they'll say "wow, that does smell like burning plastic, you weren't kidding!" then they will give you a high five.

after the celebration of authenticity, they will award you with a new, non-burnt-plastic-smelling, iPod.

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
BrianKonarsMac said:
did you not see the fine print on the side of the iPod's box stating the burning plastic smell was in fact intentional? it also states that if your iPod spontaneuously combusts, this is within hardware specifications, and you're SOL.

they'll say "wow, that does smell like burning plastic, you weren't kidding!" then they will give you a high five.

after the celebration of authenticity, they will award you with a new, non-burnt-plastic-smelling, iPod.

A 3G 20gb, or a 4G 20gb or 40gb?

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
You could smell it through out my whole entire house except for the garage and basement

JOD8FY

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
United States
wwooden said:
I opened the file while it was still on the iPod and was messing around with the final touches of it in iMovie and iDVD.

Wow - I didn't know that was possible on an iPod. How did you put on the "final touches"? You mean like adding music or something? Talk about being productive while on the road... :D I can see it now - the world's first 5.6 oz editing system. Maybe one of the 4g iPod's new features? :p

JOD8FY

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
JOD8FY said:
Wow - I didn't know that was possible on an iPod. How did you put on the "final touches"? You mean like adding music or something? Talk about being productive while on the road... :D I can see it now - the world's first 5.6 oz editing system. Maybe one of the 4g iPod's new features? :p

JOD8FY

And when you take it out on the road, you can also use it to roast marshmallows :)

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
i used to use the belkin battery pack for my ipod on long trips and it got so hot it was smoking and smelled of burning latex so i stopped using it and put it in the hotel freezer. took it back home and left it in my closet since. my ipod doesnt get overly hot, but if you smell it burning i'd turn it off and put it in the freezer (in a airtight plastic bag) for awhile.

Converted2Truth

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2004
Hell@HighAltitude
homerjward said:
i used to use the belkin battery pack for my ipod on long trips and it got so hot it was smoking and smelled of burning latex so i stopped using it and put it in the hotel freezer. took it back home and left it in my closet since. my ipod doesnt get overly hot, but if you smell it burning i'd turn it off and put it in the freezer (in a airtight plastic bag) for awhile.
I haven't laughed so hard all day :D Stickin an ipod in the freezer... freak...

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Sometimes I wonder --- do adults quickly become blonde when they're holding something high-tech? Whether this product had a flaw in it wouldn't even be in question if it was a wristwatch that was keeping time too slowly, or a shirt with a hole in it. Surely you know the answer to this question... ;)

So I'll just say to you that the smell of burning plastic is not normal under any circumstance. There's no need to charge it or flip it over once in a while, or put it in a fridge to charge it. Not ever, with any device. They wouldn't even be approved for sale if they heated to the point of being a danger.

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
Well maybe I should try frying an egg on it. Nice stainless steel cook surface. very portable. Hmm a new biz for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.