Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I always wish they will update iPod Classic to iPod Pro. However as Apple now gets profit from cloud service, huge local storage space will be a obstacle for them.:(

Even before iCloud was introduced the iPod Classic's days were numbered. Apple isn't interested in making new HDD based portables. Flash memory helps make the devices smaller (always a strong selling point) and more durable (almost certainly reducing the number of warranty claims).

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I tried out a Classic briefly last year but just couldn't get on with it.

I hated the controls and the entire interface felt old and clunky, plus it didn't have a decent equaliser on board.

I make do with a 64Gb 5th Gen. Touch and Google Play Music All Access on my phones.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
I tried out a Classic briefly last year but just couldn't get on with it.

I hated the controls and the entire interface felt old and clunky, plus it didn't have a decent equaliser on board.

I make do with a 64Gb 5th Gen. Touch and Google Play Music All Access on my phones.

Of course it's old! :rolleyes: What do you expect from a device that was last updated 4 years ago?

It's the click wheel that makes the iPod classic unique in it's own right. However, I do agree that it is challenging to select songs using the wheel when we're all used to touchscreens nowadays.

Jaze

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2001
I've found Apple's refusal to upgrade the Classic really irritating, mostly because now I carry two Classics around to hold my music collection (pretty large, plus I ripped my large CD collection at a high sample rate), and am at the point where I have to micromanage the individual songs just so I can get new purchases onto the system.

The belief that 160GB is "enough" is just nuts; I think Apple holds to their position in part because they are "forward-thinking" and heavily invested in the Cloud (and determined to make money from the Cloud). Reading this thread, I understand that there are drive size/availability issues, but I've seen ads for places that will install large hard drives, so it's at least possible in some of the Classic form factors. Which means that Apple COULD make a larger Classic.

I live in NYC, and streaming audio doesn't work at my place of work, nor during most of my commutes.

I feel like Apple has really dropped the ball here, despite its position as a technology leader. They're killing the Classic with Benign Neglect, until - sometime within the next year or so, I imagine - the point that they kill it with a bullet to the head.

Jacquesass

macrumors regular
May 6, 2003
And I thought that I was alone in hoping that Apple updates the iPod classic.

My ideal device? Same front panel as the current classic. Replace the 160GB drive with 256GB of flash; increase the battery to take up the HD's old space. Update the sync port to Lightning and increase transfer speed. Add WiFi syncing and AirPlay/BT streaming. Update the DAC's.

I like the thumbwheel interface. I like large amounts of storage and could use >160GB. I don't need an iPod that plays videos or Angry Birds, but it would be nice if it could play to BT speakers without a patch cable - and it would be awesome if it was in my glovebox and auto-synced with my computer every time I pulled into my garage.

I'm sure this would cost more than the current $250 - but I paid $500 each when the 1st/2nd/3rd gen iPod's came out ... and I would be happy to do it again for a big update (especially for >256GB). Of course, I also think that it should come with a Thunderbolt port for fast-syncing and retain disk mode - it would be many user's first Thunderbolt peripheral!

Jaze

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2001
That's EXACTLY the point! People would be willing to pay more for high quality. Not everyone is satisfied with 128kps format. They really would clean up if they put out an Apple Classic: Audiophile Limited Edition™.

yly3

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2011
I am at an Apple Store right now and I still CANNOT believe they still haven't fixed the laggy clickwheel on the Classics. I thought it was a 2007 model specific problem, the one with the double-platter HDDs, but after using the 2006 iPod Video and it's amazingly sensitive and precise clickwheel, the current Classic feels like some chinese replica joke.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
California
I am at an Apple Store right now and I still CANNOT believe they still haven't fixed the laggy clickwheel on the Classics. I thought it was a 2007 model specific problem, the one with the double-platter HDDs, but after using the 2006 iPod Video and it's amazingly sensitive and precise clickwheel, the current Classic feels like some chinese replica joke.

I'll have to make sure I check that out next time I'm at the Apple store.

Not much longer till we possibly know the future of the Classic folks!

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004

The Classic's interface is busier than the iPod video's. That might have something to do with the lag.

yly3

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2011
The Classic's interface is busier than the iPod video's. That might have something to do with the lag.

You may be right but I doubt it.
The Video's clockwheel is bigger and more "slippery" if you ask me. The Classic one feels like having an extra layer of "coating" if you ask me.
On the Video you can use the area closer to the center, thus your finger does smaller circles, thus more confortable, while on the Classic you have to use the main middle area of the clickwheel for maximum responsiveness.

I had an 160gb classic for about 2 days and sold it for this exact reason.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
I live in NYC, and streaming audio doesn't work at my place of work, nor during most of my commutes.

Exactly everyday on my commute I ride the subway which is (obviously) underground where there is no internet. Even with LTE its expensive. A classic would be nice for the train ride. The battery is also great so I don't have to charge everyday.

greygray

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
Instead of just discontinuing the iPod Classic, I hope Apple would release an ultimate audiophile iPod much like what the AK100/AK120 are targeting. It would have copious capacity to hold lots of uncompressed songs, be able to support high bitrate files (instead of just 44.1k CD-quality), and has a high quality headphone stage to negate the need of an external headphone amplifier, so when you connect a pair of high quality headphone to it, it would still drive them properly (instead of just playing them loud enough). Of course, a sleek design true to Apple's tradition and ease of use would be a given, plus acceptable battery life to last at least a transpacific flight would be expected.

Such a thing would keep the iPod going, and move the single-purpose iPod up the market to not overlap with the largest capacity iPod Touch. This will of course be a niche market item, but allows Apple to charge a premium to compensate the lower volume sales.

This sounds like a good business case. I hope Apple does make such a product in the future.

Nice but sadly uncharacteristic of Apple... >1% chance they will do it.

AronleBaron

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2013
Pro

Instead of just discontinuing the iPod Classic, I hope Apple would release an ultimate audiophile iPod much like what the AK100/AK120 are targeting. It would have copious capacity to hold lots of uncompressed songs, be able to support high bitrate files (instead of just 44.1k CD-quality), and has a high quality headphone stage to negate the need of an external headphone amplifier, so when you connect a pair of high quality headphone to it, it would still drive them properly (instead of just playing them loud enough). Of course, a sleek design true to Apple's tradition and ease of use would be a given, plus acceptable battery life to last at least a transpacific flight would be expected.

Such a thing would keep the iPod going, and move the single-purpose iPod up the market to not overlap with the largest capacity iPod Touch. This will of course be a niche market item, but allows Apple to charge a premium to compensate the lower volume sales.

This sounds like a good business case. I hope Apple does make such a product in the future.

With some new more sophisticated software specifically for mixing between tracks to allow some overlapping given the bpm of each (with added manual control over this phasing operated via the scroll wheel) it could even become targeted at professional DJs as well as audiophile consumers in general. I agree completely with you that this could be very successful niche device, and the opportunity is there to create a pocket device quite unlike anything else on the market.

iOzzie

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2010
Melbourne
Yes, but they could easily be referring to just those two, or maybe only one, or the shuffle, etc. I see no reason to take this article as good news (or any news, for that matter) for the classic.

I did say glimmer! I'm clutching at straws here, I've wanted a new classic for 2 years :p

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I feel eventually Apple will just quietly remove it. It goes back to 2010 when Steve Jobs said we upgraded our entire iPod line and didn't mention the Classic and it was not upgraded. There is probably nobody assigned to the iPod classic reboot at Apple.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Sadly, my iPod Classic HDD failed.
I am trying like crazy to get a new/used one at a good deal but to no avail.
Hard to pay $245+ for basically a $40 hard drive part.

I loved and used my Classic all the time. It is the only size that will fit my library.

RGC1981

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2012
San Francisco, CA/Phoenix, AZ
I really enjoyed this thread

I have two 30GB 2005 iPod classics. (white and black) Love them! I've replaced the battery on the black one already. They are both my go to music device, plus the are beautiful to look at.

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
Sadly, my iPod Classic HDD failed.
I am trying like crazy to get a new/used one at a good deal but to no avail.
Hard to pay $245+ for basically a $40 hard drive part.

I loved and used my Classic all the time. It is the only size that will fit my library.

Buy the drive and replace it yourself.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Buy the drive and replace it yourself.

Sure, I'll go to my local Best Buy and pick up the drive!

Nah, at the price the hoarders will charge (once they knew Apple bailed on this model, the stock got sucked up by them) I might as well get a new one.

I ended up picking up one up at Cowboom with a high rating for around $130.
I figure I have 15 days to put it through it's paces, if it works out, then I'm good.
I'll sell my other one for parts and get something back.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I feel eventually Apple will just quietly remove it. It goes back to 2010 when Steve Jobs said we upgraded our entire iPod line and didn't mention the Classic and it was not upgraded. There is probably nobody assigned to the iPod classic reboot at Apple.

Just like Safari for Windows, iTunes Ping, etc.

I would have liked to see Apple refresh it, but I don't think its coming. I am wayyy to paranoid to have an iPod with an HD, I would think it would just be too fragile.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.