Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shieldyoureyes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
Uppsala, Sweden
Well, I did some searching and couldn't really find too much.

My iPod's symptoms are the following:

*Model 30GB, last version before the new classic
*Connect to Macbook Pro, won't show up as a disk or in iTunes
*tries to start, gets to the apple logo, then after a few seconds makes a loud click (only 1), turns off, repeats.
*This happens when pluged in via USB and when unplugged
*The click is fairly loud and can be felt when I am holding it.
*It just started...not drops, bumps, spills, or anything. I treat it like a baby.
*15 minutes ago, I synced it. It is now nearly all the way full (about 20-100 MB left)

Anyone have a similar problem or any idea what could be wrong?

Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions!

shieldyoureyes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
Uppsala, Sweden
Yeah, I am fairly certain it is the hard drive...the thing that really sucks is that I am studying abroad right now and we don't have an Apple Store in Sweden

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
it does sound like the HD, but I did get behavior like this sometimes when my battery was low. Let it charge overnight and reset it and see what happens... It's worth a try...

shieldyoureyes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
Uppsala, Sweden
Still not working

I have restored it a few times now.

If there are only a few gigs of music, it seems to work fine. If I load all of it (around 24 GB) it won't start up.

Any ideas?

Dino451

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
I had nearly the exact same problem. It would show the apple logo and then a loud click and restart.Battery was fully charged and no recent drops. After hours of head scratching I hooked it up to another PC in my house and restored it with that library. It worked perfectly. I went back to my pc and restored it. It restored and synced. But right after the restore it started doing it again. It was the library! I searched through my songs and found a album was somehow corrupt. It had Asian style characters for every single song in the album. I deleted and re-ripped the cd. Did a final restore and It worked. That was in July. It still works with no problems since.Oh I forgot, In order to restore it I had to put in disk mode because it would not show up if it started regularly. Try this if you don't want get another HD.

shieldyoureyes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
Uppsala, Sweden
I had nearly the exact same problem. It would show the apple logo and then a loud click and restart.Battery was fully charged and no recent drops. After hours of head scratching I hooked it up to another PC in my house and restored it with that library. It worked perfectly. I went back to my pc and restored it. It restored and synced. But right after the restore it started doing it again. It was the library! I searched through my songs and found a album was somehow corrupt. It had Asian style characters for every single song in the album. I deleted and re-ripped the cd. Did a final restore and It worked. That was in July. It still works with no problems since.Oh I forgot, In order to restore it I had to put in disk mode because it would not show up if it started regularly. Try this if you don't want get another HD.

That sounds very, very possible. I added a few new albums, synced it, then it stopped working. I'll go through the new stuff and see if I can't find a problem there. Great idea! Thanks.

shieldyoureyes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
Uppsala, Sweden
Thanks for the idea. Its one of my new albums...I have it narrowed down to three, but none of them have any strange characters, so I am assuming one of the files is corrupt.

I had called apple care, and they were ready to have me sent it in.

kitascredit

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2008
Ipod clicking inside & won't turn on

I had the same problem with my Ipod, clicking inside (I could feel it) and it kept stating very low battery please wait. I charged it for a few hours, no changes, took it off the charger for a while, it still didn'd work a day later, so I charged it for two days. Finally googled the problem and was told I needed a new battery. I purchased one on Ebay and it also said it came with tools. The tools came with no instructions & I started to take the Ipod apart above the screen, that put a crack down my screen along with a big black blob of nothingness that I can not remove. As far as I am concerned the company I purchased that tool kit and battery from Ebay is responsible. Why not McDonalds gets fined for not stating that the coffee is hot. This product did not come with instuctions. My computer crashed at home (where all of my 15500++ songs were held with no back up) about a week prior to my Ipod clicking. So I lost all of my songs too. Needless to say my life it pretty sad now. I used my Ipod for everything, exercising, in the car, at home, at parties. What can a girl do? I lost endless amounts of time and money on all of those songs and $400.00 for my Ipod.:mad::(:confused: Thank you.

davedecay

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2004
PA
I'm sorry you broke your screen, but an iPod repair requires a delicate hand. I've done quite a few, and it's easy to tear a ribbon cable connector if you aren't following directions.

If you want to be safe, pay someone who knows what they're doing to replace your battery. If you buy oil for your car, change your own oil, and get engine damage, is it the auto store that sold you the oil's fault? NO.

You buy a battery from ebay without instructions, it's up to you to figure it out, or contact the seller before you do anything.

You could Google iPod battery replacement instructions and find half a dozen sites. Don't blame someone else for your lack of repair experience.

http://www.ifixit.com and http://ipodhowtovideo.com/ are 2 sites I can recommend.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.