Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
We have two iPods in our house. I have what I think is a 2nd generation 10gb iPod. It has real buttons around the wheel but the wheel does not spin like the very first 5gb iPod. It has a firewire port on the top. No dock connector of any kind. My wife has a iPod mini.

We have a 1Ghz iMac G4 with only USB 1.1 so we have to use Firewire for syncing and charging.

Is there a dock that can house both of these iPods (not at the same time, of course) for syncing and charging? The Apple Universal dock doesn't seem to work with older iPods.

I'd like to have one nice elegant dock that we can share between the two iPods. If there isn't such a device can you all recommend the best docks for both the mini and the older iPod? Thanks.

Shamus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2006
i dont know if there is a dock for the 10gb 2nd gen. - but i am not sure.

As for the mini, i am pretty sure apple released an ipod mini dock. type it into google or ebay. :)

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
The 2G iPod is not dock-able. The only way to connect it to the computer is with the 6pin to 6pin firewire cable.

As for the mini the Universal Dock works just fine but you can find proper iPod mini docks on special around the traps now that it has been discontinued.

Shamus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2006
Chundles said:
The 2G iPod is not dock-able. The only way to connect it to the computer is with the 6pin to 6pin firewire cable.

As for the mini the Universal Dock works just fine but you can find proper iPod mini docks on special around the traps now that it has been discontinued.

ye true, but it might be worth getting a universal dock if you intend to upgrade to a different iPod in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.