Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yarngrrl

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2005
Madison, WI
Here's the scoop. I have a nano, and I am not able to get any sound out of the dock port. I am able to get sound out of the headphone out, and the port works fine for charging and transferring. However, a couple of weeks ago, I noticed that I couldn't get any audio out when I put it in the cradle I have hooked up to the stereo. I had a standard Apple dock. So, I reset the Nano. That worked. But, if I had the Nano out of the dock and out and about, then put it back in the dock to listen through my stereo, I would have to reset it before I could get anything. Just on the chance I had a defective dock, I bought a different one, non-Apple; now, I can't get any sound out of the ***** dock, reset or not. I know it's not my receiver, I tested that with other components.

Anyone have any suggestions or similar experience?
Thanks
Miranda in Madison

Reneegj

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2005
No sound here either

I got the iHome clock radio and can dock my old ipod and my mini just fine but the nano will only charge with no sound. Am going to try to exchange it, but think it's just a flaw.

TifaMoiraine

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2006
I recently received the iHome dock as a gift, and I have had trouble playing the songs from my iPod Nano. It worked the first time I put the Nano in and started playing songs, then hasn't worked since. It recognizes that the iPod is docked because I can control it from the iHome, but when the speakers turn on no sound is emitted. Anyone have any advice/experience on this? I have also considered that fact that it might be faulty, and depending on what I read here might exchange it soon. Thanks!

blamka

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2006
Arrgghh! Me too...

Same problem...have Nano, bought iHome clock radio, no sound. Nano charger works and the radio works (i.e., the device recognizes the Nano and there are no audio problems), but no Nano sound. I even tried resetting my Nano like the iHome website suggests. So frustrating! Anyone have any ideas?
---------
Update: All of a sudden my Nano started working and playing music...no more problems. Didn't do anything different - just turned it off and on again. Strange. Must be a little touchy. Hmmmm...oh well, at least it works!

Chr1ssy711

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2006
I am having the same issue with the ihome. I got it as a present and i have a mini. I took it to work to show it off and my friend has a nano it docks & charges but no sound... very frustrating i assumed it was her ipod until i saw this post.

i will have to ask the ppl at the ipod store tomorrow. ill let you know if they say anything!
-Chrissy

Chr1ssy711

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2006
ok well i asked Apple about this and they said to "restart" your ipod and try that....i think she said to hold the up part of the circle and the OK middle button for 30 seconds to restart.

Well my friend plugged her ipod nano into her comp and it said she needed an update, after she updated it works now....so i dunno..

sorry they said exchanging the ihome wouldnt do anything...it has to do with ipod itself not the ihome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.