Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mala

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
I got an AirPort Express and set up a wireless network (two hours of talking to Apple support in Bangalore and Cork, a weekend of sweating blood over it myself, finally got it done with the help of a little genius in my ISP).

But now, for the first time since, I've plugged in my iPod's FireWire cable. iTunes didn't start up automatically, and worse, when I did start it, there was no sign of the iPod in its list of songs, library and so on.

Nor is there any iPod listed in the Finder's window. Yet it's saying Do Not Disconnect.

Before this, the iPod had stopped flashing up the "OK to disconnect" checkmark, since its last automatic software update.

What is wrong, and how do I fix it?

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
Mala said:
I got an AirPort Express and set up a wireless network (two hours of talking to Apple support in Bangalore and Cork, a weekend of sweating blood over it myself, finally got it done with the help of a little genius in my ISP).

Wow, mine were 10 minutes out of the box with the supplied utility. :confused:

stevey500

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reset it, (hold the Menu and Play button till the apple logo shows) Immediately when it shows the apple logo.. depress menu and play, then hold the buttons <<| and >>| and it will go into disk mode, then try plugging in the iPod and see if it mounts in finder and iTunes... if not run the update utility and do a restore.

Mala

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
I restarted the computer and the iPod reappeared, but not the checkmark biz.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.