Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c2kvette

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2003
Charlotte, North Carolina USA
I have noticed that my iPod's battery will die if I leave it on the dock connected to my iMac. Is this normal??? Doens't seem right. I was under the impression that you were able to leave the iPod in the dock at all times.

Thanks!

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
What generation iPod do you have and what firmware? The third generation iPods in hand with the 2.1 firmware update have been notorious for giving misleading battery meters. As for the above poster, it is agreed that it is best to charge your battery via the included power brick.

Omad0n

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2002
Seattle, WA
I'm assuming you have the 3G iPod, if not then ignore this. A friend and I worked out a couple theories on this. One is that the iPod won't tell itself to go to sleep when it's connected to the dock. You can even test this by trying to make it go to sleep yourself. So what happens is the battery is constantly being used while on the Dock. Once the computer is asleep, the iPod will no longer be recieving power, and so it will just keep eating away at the battery life. Which as I've found several times means that I wake up with a dead iPod. I agree it's silly, but it appears that if you've got the iPod on the Dock, you should take it off once it's done charging, or at least once the computer is off.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
There was a post a couple of months ago. Someone had the same thing with a pda and was wondering if the ipod had the same. The battery is discharging itself when you leave it in the dock and your computer is out. Well, that was the case with that guys pda. Don't know what it was with the ipod, i do remember that posters said that it would probably be protected for that. Well, maybe it isn't and the battery is discharging when you keep the pod in its dock overnight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.