Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
So I have 2 ipods, a 60gb photo and a 60gb 5g and have been waiting for some time for a true video ipod with a big screen like everyone right. Well here is the scoop.

I got the motorola SLVR L7 phone. Has itunes, camera, replacable battery, its a phone, microsd slot, plays games etc etc. Where is the apple equivalent? Next year maybe an apple phone? Hmm. Sorry but moto beat them too it.

Now for the true video ipod. Hmm. I got tired of waiting and purchased the Archos 504 40gb. Got it home and threw in one of my 120gb Western Digital hard drives and POW got 120gb true video ipod. Loved it so much I went out and got the Archos 604 wifi too. Now this is bad to the bone folks. Touch screen, wifi, plays ALL videos with plugins, no need to resize them for ipod, ugghh. Its got a replaceable battery too and here is the nice part, it acts like a hard drive so all you have to do is drag your content onto it and it plays them, photos, videos, music AND you can record video with it. Its a pvr. I got the helmet cam with it and it rocks.

So even if apple comes out with an iphone, moto already did and its nice.

So even if apple comes out with a true video ipod, will it have wifi and be able to surf the net? Will it be touch screen? Will it record video? I doubt it.

Quit waiting for it to come and buy it now from Archos and moto. They really put the ipod to shame folks. Seriously.

Just my .02

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Just your 20 cents?

I believe that most people here know about the SLVR and the ROKR that it replaced. I don't think anyone cared for the 100 song limit or the poor way that either phone worked. If it's just about playing music, there are many more phones out there but since we're talking about the elusive Apple phone, it's about ease of use, something that multiple purpose phones don't do well.

It's something that the Archos players have been doing acceptably for a while. For maybe 3 years now, they've been playing video, and they're still incredibly small in the market place, aren't they? Can you just plug the player into the computer and synchronise your media? If not, it's not as good as what Apple are doing.

It's not just that iPods are popular, but it's because they're easy to use that makes them desirable. You don't have to go through a lot of maintenance. Connect, synchronise, and go.

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
It's not just that iPods are popular, but it's because they're easy to use that makes them desirable. You don't have to go through a lot of maintenance. Connect, synchronise, and go.

Hmm, can't get any easier than just dragging your stuff over now can it? I think it beats out a step. Especially that step in iphoto, itunes, and formatting video for ipod. I think its WAY easier. WAY WAY easier.

As far as the comments about the moto phone, its basically an ipod. Syncs and everything with itunes. 100 song limit, yep, at apples request.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
=

As far as the comments about the moto phone, its basically an ipod. Syncs and everything with itunes. 100 song limit, yep, at apples request.

SO? Does that mean we should ignore it? Its still there and I need way more then 100 songs. As for Archos...I don't need it. iPod has click wheel , iTunes music store and works with iTunes perfectly. I see no reason to switch

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
SO? Does that mean we should ignore it? Its still there and I need way more then 100 songs. As for Archos...I don't need it. iPod has click wheel , iTunes music store and works with iTunes perfectly. I see no reason to switch

Don't need it? Well then I guess you have a 4g ipod or less right? Come on. You can't deny the power of the Archos. It RECORDS video. Has a helmet cam and all. Oh did I mention they start at like $300? Got mine for $400 online new, 604 wifi. Sorry but the itunes argument is only valid if you have thousands invested in the itunes music store. If you don't buy stuff from there then there is no reason to not switch.

You should go try out an Archos at sharper image. You might be back to post about how great it really is.

PS: The Archos and the moto are scratch resistant. :D

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6

Same here, no reason to switch to a "true" video media player until Apple releases one. :)

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
Hehe, so many loyalists. I'll be enjoying my video goodness while you guys wait it out.

PS: Archos works with itunes. They have a plugin for download. :eek:

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
Can't believe it. The Archos seems quite nice and you people are just saying those typical fanboy-slogans.

no itunes, sorry!
helmet cam, what? (but don't say anything about the RECORD-function)

man, this is embarrassing.

yes, we know, you are no fanboys, but you sure sound like it.

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
It also has a docking station with remote control and component video out. It records tv shows and can be used as a dvr. Looks like Archos got not only the ipod slammed but the To be released iTV too. Oh, its got wifi so you can stream it to your mac or stream your mac stuff to your tv.

This is available NOW folks. I am loving this thing.

But heh, it doesn't have the apple logo so it sucks right?

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Hehe, so many loyalists. I'll be enjoying my video goodness while you guys wait it out.

PS: Archos works with itunes. They have a plugin for download. :eek:

I will admit that I am an Apple loyalist (and darn proud to be one), but I can see how this would make for a great video player. I really don't watch video on my iPod as it is now, so this really is not that big of a deal for me.

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
I will admit that I am an Apple loyalist (and darn proud to be one), but I can see how this would make for a great video player. I really don't watch video on my iPod as it is now, so this really is not that big of a deal for me.

thank you. i almost thought i was over at zunescene.com

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
But heh, it doesn't have the apple logo so it sucks right?

No one said that.. but it you believe it, your posts are borderline "if it DOES have an Apple logo it DOES suck.", so where is the difference? Personally, I couldn't give a flying **** about any of this. I still have a 1G iPod and that's good enough for me. I cannot comprehend people that are on their 8th iPod or whatever. I have much better uses for my throw-away income.

But now I do want a helmet cam for my 'tard helmet.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Hmm, can't get any easier than just dragging your stuff over now can it? I think it beats out a step. Especially that step in iphoto, itunes, and formatting video for ipod. I think its WAY easier. WAY WAY easier.

I continue to hear people tell me how dragging files is so much simpler than waiting for iTunes to sychronise. It's also a pain and error-prone but at least, you have a limited set of files. I often use cp to copy files because I can pick and choose instead of dragging a large number of files, which can be a problem. Thankfully, Apple changed after 17+ years.

I still think it's great that Archos is out there but I just don't see them doing much. Apple is currently making it difficult to use video with current iPods but that could change quickly. I still believe that video needs to be in an MPEG format rather than the various others. That way everyone should be able to use it instead of having to convert. It's sad that we're still fighting with proprietary systems.

Max Payne

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2006
Brisbane, Australia
It's called taste and functionately.

You like what you have, great. I don't need all the things you are so excited about. So it's not for me.

I don't listen to music much. I never owned an mp3 player,. When I saw the shuffle, I decided to own one. Not because its cool. ot because its apple, but because I need something this light and small when I go running.

Enjoy your new PC and TV mp3 player. Does it come with a PS3 or Xbox 360 to play games?

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
The thing is, every phone from Motorola I've ever used has been crap, with the possible exception of the StarTac. I finally gave up with Motorola and got a Treo because the UI is so much better. The SLVR is cute, but its UI still sucks. And I'm not sure where you got the idea that it's scratch resistant... I borrowed my boss' phone yesterday and I could barely read the screen because it was so scratched. I looked around the office, and all of the company SLVRs were looking the same way.

As far as the Archos goes, I'm glad it works for you. For me, I can't really see the need to play video on on a portable device, but that's my lifestyle. I certainly wouldn't switch to another device to play music, (which is 99% of what I would do with any portable), and since iTunes has the best music store and the best music player out there, I do have thousands invested in iTunes music.

TheNightPhoenix

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2005
I have seen the Archos in many stores and never have I been even slightly interested in investing on super sized pockets to fit it in. My iPod fits but that thing wouldn't.

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
So basically all the posts are going to be "I don't need all that great video recording goodness, I'm happy with my shuffle". Please ok.

I posted this to give people a heads up that are waiting for the true video ipod to come along and let them know its already here except is is made by archos. The thing rocks. Nobody is telling you to replace your ipod. If you like it keep it. I'm keeping mine, It has some purpose but its no Archos and from what I have been following in these forums people are dying for this device.

Look, the ipod got nothin on the Archos, not even close. Sure they will catch up in like 3 yrs but archos has it for sale today and its awesome.

So if you don't need it because you don't watch videos, and you don't record anything and you don't watch tv then .... I feel sorry for you. :cool:

I borrowed my boss' phone yesterday and I could barely read the screen because it was so scratched. I looked around the office, and all of the company SLVRs were looking the same way.

Umm, I call bull on this. Mine sits in my pocket all day with my keys and it doesn't have a single scratch. The screen is GLASS. YOu would have to have diamonds in your pocket to mess it up like that. I think you got the phones confused.

elfin buddy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2001
Tuttlingen, Germany
So if you don't need it because you don't watch videos, and you don't record anything and you don't watch tv then .... I feel sorry for you. :cool:

Is that so? I was kinda feeling sorry for you, since you're so wrapped up in having the latest, greatest, the biggest, and the best. TV is boring. Get out there and try some real life :rolleyes:

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
Is that so? I was kinda feeling sorry for you, since you're so wrapped up in having the latest, greatest, the biggest, and the best. TV is boring. Get out there and try some real life :rolleyes:

Here come the attacks now. I record tv for my kids to watch on the road and in the upcoming instance on the plane trip this weekend. But hey, you probably have a great life huh? :p

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
I've always been impressed with the Archos players. The one 'media center' one has a nice big screen, but the unit is HUGE... guess that goes along with having a big screen.

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
Enjoy your new PC and TV mp3 player. Does it come with a PS3 or Xbox 360 to play games?

what was that for?

i feel sorry for the OP. so many unnecessary replies. freakin Apple-fans. no better than the MS ones.

you shouldn't have mentioned the helmet cam. if Apple had an helmet iSight everyone would go: "great, next time i'm in aspen snowboarding i can record my stunts right to my rucksack. thx Steve, you are the best!".

So many people on MR are waiting for the true video iPod, me too (just to see what Apple comes up with), but the Archos seems to be a very good videoplayer. lot of nice features. if i would want a video player i probably would give it a chance.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
you shouldn't have mentioned the helmet cam. if Apple had an helmet iSight everyone would go: "great, next time i'm in aspen snowboarding i can record my stunts right to my rucksack. thx Steve, you are the best!".

Why are you crapping on my OPINION that the helmet cam is stupid? It would be just as stupid from Apple or anyone else for that matter. I'm entitled to my OPINION that it's stupid. Of course, just as you are entitled to crap on my OPINION.

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
Why are you crapping on my OPINION that the helmet cam is stupid? It would be just as stupid from Apple or anyone else for that matter. I'm entitled to my OPINION that it's stupid. Of course, just as you are entitled to crap on my OPINION.

Please, a helmet cam stupid. I guess camcorders and cameras are stupid too. I can think of only one stupid thing here. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.