Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xy14

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 9, 2004
Minneapolis
MacRumors wont post this rumor, so I'm doing it by myself.

First, Install iPod Linux and when it is done, you have to add a folder to the iPod called Recordings.
After that when you first use iPod Linux, you can go to Extras > Recordings > Mic Record > Play/Pause, and it will record whatever you say into the left earbud right then and there with no additional 3rd party accessories. This only works with the 3G, and the 4G is not supported, but MAY work.

When you go back into apple's OS, sync it to your computer and a playlist will automatically be made called Voice Recordings, which will contain your recordings in the WAV format. Hopefully this will save some people up to $40. Just remember, when you save that money, thank me!

I do not know the link to the web site and I don't feel like looking, so just search for "iPod Linux Installer."

EDIT: Good news! I found out that it works not only with Apple's earphones, but with any earphones! I kinda figured that anyways, just didn't wanna lie to you. It officially works.

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but figured this would be more appropriate here instead of posting a new thread.

I'm trying to install Linux on my iPod so that I can utilize the line-in recording function and I keep getting the following error:
An error occurred while installing linux: Could not read iPod volume format.

I'm trying to install iPod-Linux version 0.3c onto a 15gb 3G iPod. I've tried reformatting the iPod with both the iPod updater app and Disk Utility, but I still get the same error.

Any ideas? :confused:

Switzermac

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2005
messing with the firmware voids the warrenty so you should not be doing it anyway. Also apples firmware is great why put linux on.

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
You can easily replace the Apple firmware OS, AND it can run side by side with Linux. This earphone thing works because a microphone is basically an ear phone anyway, just designed to accept sound rather than to play it. (Eg. the metal disk may be inverted the wrong way).

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
Switzermac said:
messing with the firmware voids the warrenty so you should not be doing it anyway. Also apples firmware is great why put linux on.
Like I said in my first post... I want to be able to record a line in.
Plus, my iPod is out of warranty anyway, so it doesnt matter

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Now I just wish Apple allowed 48Khz Stereo recording on their iPod and iPod minis, so third party developers could design an XLR adaptor for people who work in film and broadcast audio. I could use such a device to do room tone recordings for my productions.

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
Lacero said:
Now I just wish Apple allowed 48Khz Stereo recording on their iPod and iPod minis, so third party developers could design an XLR adaptor for people who work in film and broadcast audio. I could use such a device to do room tone recordings for my productions.
I would really like that too. I shoot weddings and other events where there is usually a house sound system that I can record from which is just a mono signal. I've tried recording to analoge cassette tape but it doesnt hold sync with my digital sources, and I'd rather not buy an iRiver if I can give my iPod the same recording functionality.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
There's an article about this in the June Macworld magazine. It's really interesting how the iPod is capable of high quality recording but Apple has dumbed it down, so to speak. I wonder why...

alangyssler

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2005
Buffalo Grove, IL
Anyone try recording from a line out of a mixer or other mono source, and do any audio editing? I've just done some simple tests, and found it to be very high quality, but very low volume level.

I've not attempted recording an instrument (guitar, bass, etc) into it, but I assume the audio quality is fairly high.

What I'd really like to do is record orchestra concerts with my iPod, using a high quality mic (similar to a MD on stage, and a mic up in the air). I can only record in mono, but I don't think that will be a problem, as I wouldn't have two mics (left and right) set up, anyway, and could mirror the mono signal to two audio tracks, essentially creating a fake stereo sound.

just wondering how this has worked for others thus far.

any pointers? any suggestions on high quality, relatively small, not exorbitantly pricey mics out there? as per adapters and converters and that mess, I think I can manage to whip up something to get from xlr to 1/8" phone plug.. perhaps a direct box type dealy, or something other than a bunch of radio shack plugs...

thanks for any input.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.