Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
Hi,

My (iPod nano) is formatted as Macintosh and hard disk mode is enabled.

I dragged some files for someone at work onto the iPod (using the hard disk mode) using the Finder.

I'm now at work, plugged iPod into winXP - it recognises it as a drive, then I can't access the contents as it says that

"The device is not formatted. Do you want to Format? Yes/No"

Obviously, I choose No (so it doesnn't wipe my music off).

But I thought as it's operating as a flash drive, any OS should be able to read it?

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

EDIT:
I've just been told that cos the mac uses HTFS+ formatting, windows cannot read this.
I just thought as it was in HD mode, it would work - someone mentioned MacDrive software..

What a pain in the butt!! I need to get these files off my iPod for work too.. aaaagghhhh.. is there any other way without using 3rd party software?

tominated

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2006
Queensland, Australia
nohing wrong, it's just that xp can't read mac formatted ipods. use a program like MacDrive by mediafour
UPDATE: another way is to use the ipod formatting tool to format it for xp then copy the music from the mac to your pc and you should get the jist

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
tominated said:
nohing wrong, it's just that xp can't read mac formatted ipods. use a program like MacDrive by mediafour

yup.. i was just told this.. only thing is, we are not allowd to install apps onto computers here at work :(

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
tangerineyum said:
why not format the ipod on a windows machine, then sync it to a mac at home. Mac's have no problems reading windows formatted disks.

if i format it now on the xp machine, it will lose all the data - which I am trying to get off it.. :eek:

but i see what you mean though..

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2002
UK
I've been wondering about this - what advantage do you gain by having an HFS+ formatted iPod?

Anyone?

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Dunepilot said:
I've been wondering about this - what advantage do you gain by having an HFS+ formatted iPod?

Anyone?
There seems to be a speed advantage, especially for copying large amounts of stuff back and forth. At least, that was my experience last time I had my iPod formatted with FAT32 on a Mac (three years ago now). After that, I wiped it and formatted it as HFS+ and haven't looked back.

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2002
UK
Interesting, thanks. And that's a speed advantage over a Firewire or USB2 connection?

Dune

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Well, Firewire in my case. Good ol' 3rd gen iPods didn't support USB.

On a side note, it irks me that the 5th gen iPods no longer support Firewire. It's my removable drive standard of choice (since it's a damn sight better than USB2).

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
how do you format the ipod as fat32 on the mac?
i have itunes 7 and if i did a "restore" wouldn't it automatically choose htfs+?

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
dalvin200 said:
how do you format the ipod as fat32 on the mac?
i have itunes 7 and if i did a "restore" wouldn't it automatically choose htfs+?

you can't as Apple are rubbish you need a PC :(, though i'm sure someone has made a command line tool to do it..

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
Eraserhead said:
you can't as Apple are rubbish you need a PC :(, though i'm sure someone has made a command line tool to do it..

I thought you could format to fat through disc utility, maybe i am wrong thou

theman5725

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2006
My friend bas a Windows Formatted iPod and I can easily transfer files to it from my Mac without any trouble.

Odd.

mleary

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2006
Apple should really just ship all Ipods with FAT32 format, it would prevent problems like this. I don't see any advantage to using HTFS+ over FAT32 on an Ipod. If anything I would think FAT32 would be faster then HTFS as it is a simpler filersystem. Fat32 is pretty much the standard for portable storage now, it has great crossplatform support (OSX/Windows/Linux/Etc).

outZider

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2000
Apple DOES ship all iPods as FAT32 now, for that reason. Most iPod owners are Windows users, it only makes sense.

HFS+ is faster on the Mac, though, so if you only use your iPod on the Mac, it's usually worth it. Also, if you're carrying around large files, FAT32 does not support files larger than two gigabytes, so that option is thrown right out when I'm moving things around.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
eva01 said:
I thought you could format to fat through disc utility, maybe i am wrong thou

You can, but not to an iPod (as you loose the firmware partition), maybe with the command line...

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Apple DOES ship all iPods as FAT32 now, for that reason. Most iPod owners are Windows users, it only makes sense.

HFS+ is faster on the Mac, though, so if you only use your iPod on the Mac, it's usually worth it. Also, if you're carrying around large files, FAT32 does not support files larger than two gigabytes, so that option is thrown right out when I'm moving things around.

Ten posts and you've been registered for over six years?

????????

linkboy

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2006
I have mine setup for FAT32. I'd like to use HFS+, but I go back and forth between Windows machines.

It would be nice if MS would add HFS+ support to a future version of Windows (but the 49ers have a better chance of winning the SB before that happens).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.