Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spellflower

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
I'm planning on taking advantage of the student union deal on Saturday, but I can't decide whether to take the free ipod mini or pay $90 for the ipod 20 GB. I haven't owned my own computer for 8 years, and I've never used MP3s, so I dont' really know what my requirements will be. I am a musician, and a record collector, so I intend to start a serious collection, plus I enjoy spoken word stuff that is now available for ipods. I also plan to buy (or request for Christmas) a digital camera to use on some upcoming trips abroad, and the photo capability might come in handy if I don't bring my ibook.

I'm still unclear on exactly how easy it is to transfer songs (or photos) from the ipod back to the computer. I've heard there are hacks to do far more with your ipod than apple intends, but I dont' know anyone who has done these things.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
i think the 20gb is a ripoff compared to the 30gb. that's why i bought the 30gb right before they discontinued it, from buy.com for 280 shipped. :)

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
Definately pay the extra 90 for the 20GB. I'm sure you will regret it if you don't. For $90 you get 5 times as much space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.