Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
New York
I was wondering whats the normal length the battery lasts with shuffle on? I'm only getting 4.5 hours, is this normal?

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
the ruins of the Cherokee nation
Im getting about the 6 hrs on shuffle, with most songs encoded using Lossless. My mini is also fairly new (less than 4 months old)

Seems to me that ive read somewhere on here before that the cache doesnt work as efficently while on shuffle, thus making accessing the harddrive more frequently.

And someone suggested that Lossless encoding is a little more stressful on iPods, i assume b/c of the slightly larger file size??

Hope this helps...

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
New York
faintember said:
Im getting about the 6 hrs on shuffle, with most songs encoded using Lossless. My mini is also fairly new (less than 4 months old)

Seems to me that ive read somewhere on here before that the cache doesnt work as efficently while on shuffle, thus making accessing the harddrive more frequently.

And someone suggested that Lossless encoding is a little more stressful on iPods, i assume b/c of the slightly larger file size??

Hope this helps...

So do you think I should bring it to Apple for a new battery?

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
If its still under warranty or Applecare, then it would be an option.

A few questions i just thought of though:

Do you "top off the battery", or fully deplete the battery, then do a full recharge?

And how old is the iPod?

-faint

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
JzzTrump22 said:
I was wondering whats the normal length the battery lasts with shuffle on? I'm only getting 4.5 hours, is this normal?
I get much longer on my 1GB model.

Volume level probably affects battery life. In other words, the louder you play it the quicker the battery gets used up.

At a midrange to low volume I get will over 12 hours.

Sushi

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
faintember said:

Hope this helps...

I thought that iTunes automatically converted lossless songs to something smaller for the Shuffle. Maybe I am wrong, I am going to go look it up now.

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
wwooden said:
I thought that iTunes automatically converted lossless songs to something smaller for the Shuffle. Maybe I am wrong, I am going to go look it up now.

I believe it does wwooden, however we are talking about using the shuffle function on a iPod mini.

Though i never thought about volume levels...hummm good point. I usually blast my music, but then again i have a homemade headphone amp that always comes with me.

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
New York
faintember said:
If its still under warranty or Applecare, then it would be an option.

A few questions i just thought of though:

Do you "top off the battery", or fully deplete the battery, then do a full recharge?

And how old is the iPod?

-faint

I got it in January. I am letting this thing start at full charge then play by its self untill it dies and shuts off completly. It took about 4.5 hours for this to happen. I have done this several times to double check.

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
yes a louder volume would drain more battery power, however a splitter shouldnt....it just splits the out going signal basically in half, right?

I wouldnt think the iPod would be built to tell the diff b/t a reg set of headphones and a splitter, however the use of a splitter would prob lead to the use of a higher volume b/c of the "splitting" of the original audio splitter.

So in a round-about way, yeah a splitter would prob lead to higher battery consumption. (if i am wrong please let me know!)

-faint

tay225

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2005
HELP!

Ive been looking into buying and ipod mini. However i just need to knwo one thing....i meet all the requirements except one....wrong OS. Do you need windows XP, or 2000 if you wanna run it on windows?

MacHarne

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2005
Virginia, U.S.A.
An audio splitter does require more output. I tried it tonight on an iPod shuffle and could only drive it so much before it started to break up. And yes, audio equilizations definitely use more battery power; my 3G gets about another hour now that I've turned off my beloved Acoustic eq, but I really don't miss it.

tay225, you'll find all of the specifications and requirements at this site provided by Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.