Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve88

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2005
Someone recently gave me an ipod mini. It is just the unit and earbuds, no charger, wires or software. I have never tried to do anything with it, but I know it works. It is loaded with music that is anything but my type of music.

My question is where can I get everything besides the ipod itself, and what do I need? Please be patient with me, I have never had an ipod before and know nothing about them.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
steve88 said:
Someone recently gave me an ipod mini. It is just the unit and earbuds, no charger, wires or software. I have never tried to do anything with it, but I know it works. It is loaded with music that is anything but my type of music.

My question is where can I get everything besides the ipod itself, and what do I need? Please be patient with me, I have never had an ipod before and know nothing about them.

Many places sell Ipod accessories, having nothing you may be interested in getting a Charger setup that includes headphones and connector cable.

Many places sell such kits, and the first question anyone will ask, What type of computer are you connecting to, and does it have USB or Firewire?

steve88

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2005
Right now, I have an older PC, but will be replaced by an iMac 20" within a month (waiting for the upgraded imacs). The imac has USB and firewire, so that should not be a problem. Will I need a special software program for the imac? I will wait for the new Mac before I try to do anything with the ipod. Do you know if the included programs that come with the imac will be okay?

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
steve88 said:
Right now, I have an older PC, but will be replaced by an iMac 20" within a month (waiting for the upgraded imacs). The imac has USB and firewire, so that should not be a problem. Will I need a special software program for the imac? I will wait for the new Mac before I try to do anything with the ipod. Do you know if the included programs that come with the imac will be okay?

The Imac will include the newest version of Itunes and iPod update for the system files on your iPod. With Itunes you should be ok, as that is what mostly all iPod users have to run updates, and sync files to their iPods.

If your iPod is setup for Windows as opposed to OS-X, you may want to re-format the iPod for the OS X native file system. Since you don't like the songs on your ipod, you won't have to go through the process of copying files off of the ipod onto the new imac, which can be done multiple ways.

Once you connect your iPod with Itunes, the process should be painless to do updates to the iPod library, and hundreds of Macrumors members will be able to assist you.

So, in short, if you are buying an apple down the road, you will have one of the easiest to use MP3 Player setups in the industry ;)

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Why don't you ask the person who so generously 'gave' this to you, for the cables and disk to go with it.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Chappers said:
Why don't you ask the person who so generously 'gave' this to you, for the cables and disk to go with it.

Good point,

But I would still recommend using the newest software as opposed to whatever is on the CD that they have.

steve88

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2005
The ipod was given to me because this friend of mine found it in the train station bathroom that is his job to clean. He has no use for anything that has to do with computers, so that is why I have it without anything else. As far as being stolen, well I guess that could be a judgement call. If YOU found one in a public bathroom, would YOU run around and ask everyone if they lost one? I didn't think so. Besides, how would YOU know that the person who said it is his is truly the owner?

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
steve88 said:
The ipod was given to me because this friend of mine found it in the train station bathroom that is his job to clean. He has no use for anything that has to do with computers, so that is why I have it without anything else. As far as being stolen, well I guess that could be a judgement call. If YOU found one in a public bathroom, would YOU run around and ask everyone if they lost one? I didn't think so. Besides, how would YOU know that the person who said it is his is truly the owner?

Fair enough if that's what happened then that's what happened and enjoy your new toy. I'm just a little sceptical about things like this. But I will say, in answer your question - If I worked cleaning bathrooms in a train station and found something of value that had been left behind then I would hand it in to the lost property department or at least give it to my superiors. In my opinion it's as good as theft if you find something at work and keep it for yourself. Looks like we both made snap judgements about each other there eh? I have previously found a wallet on a bus with cards and cash in it and I handed it all over to the local police station.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
steve88 said:

Check the contacts, won't the owners details be in there?

I know the WHEN I get my iPod I'm gonna use the two lines of engraved text for REWARD IF FOUND - EMAIL ME ???@etc.

I think Apple should suggest this and offer some form if reunion service. Say a fiver reward for an iPod handed in at an Apple retail store and they email the owner to collect. Of course the owner would need to sign up for the service and .mac

steve88

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2005
I don't know if he tried to find the owner or not, because I was not there. I did look all over the thing to find any kind of engraving, but there is none.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
You could hand it in to the police.

I think they give stuff back if its not claimed.

Its good to see that old fashioned values like honesty are quickly forgotten when it comes to owning some bling.

I love my iPod but it is bling.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Don't mind us, we can be a suspicious lot. You could try to call Apple to see if someone registered it if you want to be that honest. Otherwise just go to someplace like Amazon of Newegg.com to find some accessories. Car/home charger, USB/Firewire cables, etc. You won't need any extra software other than iTunes. But you need Windows 2000/XP on you PC to run it. It will work just fine on your Mac, whenever you get it, with a USB or FireWire cable. FW is just a little faster.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
this is similar to when i had my ipod taken in for a battery check and when i got it back it had like 2000 songs on it.. that were not mine and i asked the guy.. eh i brought this in with no songs.. and the sales tech dude was all yeah.. just do whatever u want with em so go figure

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.