Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G-Prime

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
Phoenix, AZ
Check this out, I found it over at iPodlounge,

MoviePlayer, an add-on that "transforms the iPod into a complete multimedia center," allowing users to transfer and play movies, videos and photos on a 3.5-inch 65,000 color TFT screen with built-in control pad

It is going to be released by Nyko at CES.

t300

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2004
I just searched and was surprised you had the only topic on this, and nobody seemed to care.

movieplayer.jpg

Here is some more info:http://playlistmag.com/features/2005/01/cesias/index.php

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
$250 for video pod? Seems pretty nice to me, depending on real video quality.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
emw said:
$250 for video pod? Seems pretty nice to me, depending on real video quality.

Well, not really. It's $250 to add video functionality to a $300-plus iPod. Considering you can get portable stand-alone DVD players for less than $150, I wonder how successful it will be.

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
wordmunger said:
Well, not really. It's $250 to add video functionality to a $300-plus iPod. Considering you can get portable stand-alone DVD players for less than $150, I wonder how successful it will be.

...but the added value would be being able to take loads of films/videos with you. You could jam just short of 10 full quality DVDs into the largest 'Pod, and just think about DivX movies!

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
wordmunger said:

I suppose, but if you're looking to add video to a device you already have, this is pretty nice. A stand-alone DVD player has it's advantages, I suppose, but I could theoretically store 10-15GB of music + 4 or 5 DVD movies on my iPod and carry it all around fairly easily. Plus I have the nice functionality of the iPod on it's own when not watching movies.

I guess in the end I'd have to see the video quality, and if it supports DVD video (VIDEO_TS folders) directly, or if you need to convert to MPEG or something like that, which wouldn't be worthwhile.

debroglie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
emw said:
I guess in the end I'd have to see the video quality, and if it supports DVD video (VIDEO_TS folders) directly, or if you need to convert to MPEG or something like that, which wouldn't be worthwhile.

I believe that you have to convert it to their own Video Player format

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
debroglie said:
I believe that you have to convert it to their own Video Player format
Sure, show off by actually reading the press release. It does look like it supports only mpg, avi, etc. files. Anyone know how bad it would be converting DVDs to one of these formats?

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
emw said:
Sure, show off by actually reading the press release. It does look like it supports only mpg, avi, etc. files. Anyone know how bad it would be converting DVDs to one of these formats?

Well depending on your computer, somewhere between ok and blow-your-brains-away-painfully slow. ;)

My case would be the latter...

And that's not even considering lagal issues with copy protected DVDs.

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
Neat idea, but I would rather take my PB 12" with me instead.

Agreed. That's what I can't figure out about these people who buy portable DVD players, when for a couple hundred dollars more, they could have an iBook, with a larger screen that plays DVD's and can be used for countless other things.

Daniel

railthinner

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
dsharits said:
Agreed. That's what I can't figure out about these people who buy portable DVD players, when for a couple hundred dollars more, they could have an iBook, with a larger screen that plays DVD's and can be used for countless other things.

Daniel

Agreed. that's what I can't figure out about the ipod photo, when for a couple hundred dollars more you can have a device to import and edit your photos on and so much more.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
dsharits said:

Daniel

I don't know where you're buying your portable DVD players, but you need to look around. Many are sub-$150 these days. I don't think you'll find many iBooks for $343....

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
Agreed. that's what I can't figure out about the ipod photo, when for a couple hundred dollars more you can have a device to import and edit your photos on and so much more.

Good point. However, being one who uses slideshows and digital pictures all the time, there is something attractive about being able to carry so many pictures and slideshows in an iPod and being able to connec it to a TV or projector on the fly. Still, I love my iBook, I take it with me everywhere, and I just don't have any use (or money, for that matter) for an iPod Photo in that case.

Daniel

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I saw that on pcworld's website, looks cool, but what about battery life... Don't tell me the ipod will power that thing.... there will be like 5 mins of video! Also it seems pretty big..... i would perfer to watch movies on my 15" pb!

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
wordmunger said:
I don't know where you're buying your portable DVD players, but you need to look around. Many are sub-$150 these days. I don't think you'll find many iBooks for $343....

Yeah, but you get what you pay for. Bought one of those sub $150 units and it crapped out after 13 to 114 months.

With programs like Mac the Ripper and DVD2ONE X, you have the ability of taking your movies on the road. I have a LaCie 40gb Mobile that I will use when I hit the road.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
railthinner said:

One of the reasons that I would like to see Apple take on Sony with the the Sony TR series(?). 10" screen, decent computing power.

starcrossed

macrumors regular
May 3, 2003
San Antonio,TX
Man that is pretty nice, especially the ability to record video directly into the iPod. But hopefully we can get someone to develop just a device that will read movie files from the iPod and send them out to a television screen or such. Now that is a product I would be willing to shell out some money for. Forget showing photo slideshows, I could be showing home movies from my iPod.

debroglie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
puckhead193 said:
I saw that on pcworld's website, looks cool, but what about battery life... Don't tell me the ipod will power that thing.... there will be like 5 mins of video! Also it seems pretty big..... i would perfer to watch movies on my 15" pb!

Once again, the article states that "An internal lithium ion battery powers the unit"

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
kinda gimmicky... it's not *really* adding video capability. it's a device that plays video that happens to use iPod as a glorified HD...

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I like it... In fact I might just buy one. I like the fact I would be able to take it places that a laptop we be to large still (school lol, this little fella is a lot easier to hide than my 12" iBook) and I also like the recording feature, which I'll probably be using a fair bit, depending on the recording's quality.

EDIT: I wonder if it had video out on it... if it did, that would rock - no more wasting CDs/DVDs testing my 3D animation on the TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.