Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

J@ffa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 21, 2002
Behind you!
A friend of mine has had an iPod nano for a little while now, but it developed the notorious barcoding on the bottom half of the screen a little while ago and he's gotten around to sending it off for repair. Fast forward a week later, and Apple UK return it unfixed, with a note stating that it was his fault and that the repair was not covered under warranty. I'm reading a Washington Post article on the problem right now, with this quote:

Apple spokesman Tom Neumayr said Tuesday afternoon that cracked or otherwise destroyed screens were "a real but minor issue involving a vendor quality problem in . . . less than one-tenth of 1 percent of the total iPod Nano units we've shipped." Neumayr said it was "not a design issue," and that anybody who experienced the problem should contact Apple for a free replacement.

As of tomorrow, he has three days left on his warranty. What should he do? Call Apple again and plead his case? He definitely didn't break it, because I know him and he treats tech stuff very delicately and knows what happens when you're careless with things. Is there a special number or contact to escalate things, given that it's so close to being out of warranty?

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
Tell him he needs to call Apple and explain that it's not his fault that the screen has this problem. He must have one of the faulty iPod nanos that has the screen "barcoding" problem, and it needs to be fixed as Apple has promised in that quote.

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
I had my 3g iPod's dead battery replaced when I called in two days before the warranty went. Go for it. I belive that if you get the repair into their system before the waranty goes it dosen't matter if it expires while the product is shipping or while they have it. Quote the article and if the rep says 'That is nice too bad" ask to speak to a manager, then quote to him. Keep moving up the foodchain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.