Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which product do you think Apple will update first?

• Mac Mini

Votes: 298 68.7%
  • iPod Nano

Votes: 36 8.3%
  • iPod HiFi

Votes: 17 3.9%
  • MacBook

Votes: 9 2.1%
  • MacBook Pro

Votes: 31 7.1%
  • iMac

Votes: 43 9.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
Mac Mini C2D update- April 1, along with Leopard. "Entire Mac range now 64-bit."

Huzzah.

MA.

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
April 1 is a Sunday. If you're going to make a prediction, make it realistic. :D

But it can't be Tuesday, because that's when the G5 Powerbooks are announced.

No, Sunday is exactly what we're not expecting them to do, and so it's exactly what they shall do. Maybe they'll just miss out Leopard altogether, and bring out 10.6...

MA.

penguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2007
CA
From what I have read, all C2D Apples support 3gig. The original Macbook only supports 2gig, but the C2D update supports 3gig.

well, not according to the Apple site...as I stated in my previous post, Macbook and entry iMacs top out at 2 gig, along with the Mini, of course

music.addict411

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Steve Jobs expecting us to look at the iPhone as the iPod

It would be great if there was an iPod update, but its unlikely. Even better is a whole new iPod model.

But Steve Jobs is expecting the iPhone to act as the Wide-Screen iPod. He wants us to buy the iPhone as our full screen iPod. Maybe the normal iPod will be discontinued. I also cant amagine a Mac Tablet because of the iPhone, they would be/look to similar.

I think that the Mac Mini will be updated first.

iDave

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2003
But Steve Jobs is expecting the iPhone to act as the Wide-Screen iPod. He wants us to buy the iPhone as our full screen iPod. Maybe the normal iPod will be discontinued.
I doubt it. Of 80 million iPod owners who are potential upgraders, how many do you think want to subscribe to two years of phone service just to do it?

I will likely never own an iPhone but plan on buying a number of new iPods in the coming years. I'll buy one every couple of years, I expect, unless they're discontinued. :)

Mgkwho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2005
Apple has enough products in their current line up to release a product almost every week until the middle of June.

Release Dates (13):
March 20, 27; April 3, 10, 17 (NAB), 24; May 1, 8, 15, 22, 29; June 5, 12 (WWDC)

Products (12):
Mac Mini, Mac Pro, Cinema Display, MacBook, MacBook Pro, iMac, iPods (as one), iPhone, Leopard + iSoftware, Professional apps (as one), still AppleTV in a manner of speaking, and possibly xServe at WWDC? (haven't heard anything)

Not to mention something unexpected up their sleeves, and popular accessories like iPod Hi-Fi, MightyMouse and Airport Express or other applications/.Mac.

Above I just basically listed their main product line, obviously. When I say (as one) I am just grouping them together, not saying that more than one will be released, or that all will not be released, just that at least one will be.

Also, yes, I'm sure at least two will be grouped together. And it's likely that there could be a special event with a future ship date, making 13 "Apple things."

I would hope Apple would release a product every week for the next few months :). It would certainly make up for the 4.5 months we've gone without something, besides colored shuffles and the airport extreme. Though I don't know what they'd do for the few months after June :D.

!!!

In other news, when did Apple remove iTunes from the iLife suite? Now iTunes is its own entity.

-=|Mgkwho

iDave

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2003
Santa Rosa on May 8th?[/URL]

I doubt we'll see something until then.
Tell us it ain't so. :eek: Because even if the chips are launched May 8, they won't likely be in Macs for weeks or months after that.

I like mgkwho's idea better; new hardware every week for the next few months. :D :eek: :rolleyes:

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
mrgreen made a good point in his POST in another thread though - how about a mini soon with bits a bobs of Santa Rosa but not all of it?....

What he described isn't possible... You can't take a chipset designed for a Intel Socket T (desktop) board and use it on a Socket M (mobile) motherboard. Santa Rosa is largely about the new chipset for mobile CPUs, which will use an even different socket system, Socket P. If you want a Intel (mobile) chipset newer than the 945 you'll have to wait until something is released by Intel.

Computers aren't like a set of Legos -- you can't just mix and match anything you'd like on a motherboard.

contractcooker

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2006
:apple: tv and mini's are not THAT different.

Those are 2 completely different products in deifferent price ranges, the one has got nothing to do with the other.

Further more i too hope they will update the mini, that would be my media centre choice aswell .

While they are different in price and target audience I think that saying they have nothing to do with each other is foolish. Many people are using the Mini as a "super" :apple: tv. So making comparisons between them is not really that far fetched.

contractcooker

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2006
SSDs ROCK

I doubt it. Of 80 million iPod owners who are potential upgraders, how many do you think want to subscribe to two years of phone service just to do it?

I will likely never own an iPhone but plan on buying a number of new iPods in the coming years. I'll buy one every couple of years, I expect, unless they're discontinued. :)

I would expect that as flash memory becomes the new "it" thing for the computer industry that regular ipods would be discontinued in favor of large capacity nanos. I know this may be premature, I wouldn't expect "large enough" nanos for a couple of years but as far as I'm concerned 2007 is the beginning of the end for traditional HDDS. WOO HOO bring on the SSD tech.

elec999

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2007
New mac minis, would be nice if they came with esata connectors, so you can easily attach esata hard drive. A nice option to remove the 2.5 inch drive, add a n a small enclosure, and boot off a 3.5 drive, using either a special removable enclosure, or the esata connector.
Thanks

natch

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2007
Leopard first

Some of the features being wished for on this forum seem pretty geeky, relative to the perceived needs of the average joe consumer. E-SATA connectors, for example, not to pick on one particular post.

My guess is the most prominent feature area that Apple will want to address asap is the eye candy features of Vista (not that they are any great shakes compared to what Mac has been doing for years). Apple will want to stay clearly ahead in the highly visible, so to speak, area of video features, not only in reality (where it already is ahead) but also in market perception (where it needs to be obviously and clearly way out in front). Since Leopard squarely addresses this space and Vista just came out, I'd expect the priority to be getting Leopard out the door NOW assuming it is ready.

Not sure what this means in terms of hardware. If Leopard requires more video power, I'd assume the Minis will get a video power bump to handle this. Hopefully the same with the Macbook.

Jarcrew

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
Cardiff, Wales
You know what I definitely think we be removed from all computers across the board this year?

The combo drive. And if it's not, then it bloody well should be. Going into 2008 with three units still unable to write DVDs is disgraceful.

Jarcrew

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
Cardiff, Wales
I would expect that as flash memory becomes the new "it" thing for the computer industry that regular ipods would be discontinued in favor of large capacity nanos. I know this may be premature, I wouldn't expect "large enough" nanos for a couple of years but as far as I'm concerned 2007 is the beginning of the end for traditional HDDS. WOO HOO bring on the SSD tech.
I'm not sure about that, to be honest - it's crossed my mind, but would they have brought out an 80GB model if they planned on dramatically cutting the drive size in future revisions? Joe Public doesn't know nor care about the differences or benefits of flash, it all works out to how much you can fit on 'em - and having to say "yeah, 20,000 is no longer an option" would perhaps be a bit embarrassing.

ImAlwaysRight

macrumors 6502a
YOU ARE ALL WRONG -- muhhhhaaaahhhhaaaa

Awesome. 9 out of 434 votes said MacBook would be updated first. 298 said Mac Mini. MacBook WAS first. At least that confirms not to listen to any of you about updates. :rolleyes:

View Poll Results: Which product do you think Apple will update first?
Mac Mini 298 68.66%
iPod Nano 36 8.29%
iPod HiFi 17 3.92%
MacBook 9 2.07%
MacBook Pro 31 7.14%
iMac 43 9.91%

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.