Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

101356-ipod_nano_6gen_lineup.jpg

Apple yesterday released a software update (Version 1.1) for the current sixth-generation iPod nano, adding new functionality to the device's sleep/wake button to allow users to turn the device completely off and to customize the double-click functionality of the sleep/wake button to control audio playback. The changes are detailed in a new support document.

With the update, users can now turn the iPod nano off by holding down the sleep/wake button for several seconds. Previously, users could only put the device to sleep by pressing the button, and the new functionality would obviously allow users to save battery life by shutting the device down entirely.
Turning iPod nano off completely causes the following to occur::

- Music or other audio that's playing on the device stops.
- Paused radio clears.
- If a slideshow is playing on the device, it stops.
- If a voice memo is being recorded, it stops and saves.
- The pedometer stops.
- Nike + workout data stops and saves.
Apple notes that if the device is turned back on again within five minutes, the music playlist and current track will be remembered. Otherwise, users will have to reselect a playlist and manually select the track to be played.

Double-clicking the iPod nano's sleep/wake button can now also be used for music controls, with users able to customize the functionality from the device's Settings menu. The button can be used to skip to the next track in a playlist, play/pause audio, or offer similar functionality for radio stations.

Article Link: iPod Nano Software Update Enhances Sleep Button Controls

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Looks nice, might buy one now…
(wanted a small music device instead of my huge iPods).

Fainer

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

The new Nanos suck. Bring back the last gen!!

Goodfella83

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yeah, just a shuffle that had 16gb of storage that can plug into my b&w and my Bose!

Goodfella83

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2009

Yeah, just a shuffle that had 16gb of storage that can plug into my b&w and my Bose!

Thataboy

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2004
New York, NY
Finally, a software update! I just hope there are bug fixes too (e.g., syncing smart playlists properly).

I am one of those people who gets new iPods every generation, and I have to say, this is my least favorite since the iPod 3rd Gen with the separate touch-buttons.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Finally, a software update! I just hope there are bug fixes too (e.g., syncing smart playlists properly).

I am one of those people who gets new iPods every generation, and I have to say, this is my least favorite since the iPod 3rd Gen with the separate touch-buttons.

That was my favorite iPod.

This makes me consider the nano more.

iScott428

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Orlando, FL
Best Ipod to date

I have had many other ipods and this is the first one that really makes my music completely portable.

All of you haters saying that this is a big shuffle, must have missed the fact that this one has a TOUCH SCREEN and app like appearance. Very easy to use set up and rock (wear/clip/watch) all day long.

I have the watch attachment and wear it as a wrist watch every day and get comments like "Nice Watch" all day long. And then i have to explain that it is an ipod and people freak out.

I love my Nano and would buy another tomorrow if anything happened to this one.

Oh yeah about time the came out with an update!!! :)))

tarkeybear

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2006
Claremont CA
Current Nano best design in portability and selectability

I too love this Nano. The previous generation "full size" nanos which did handle video were too big for convenient body placement and instead require a pocket or arm band. Viewing them required twisting the heck out of an armband to get a clear view of the screen. I miss the old lanyard design, but this was probably more at risk of sweat damage.
The shuffles were "too dumb" and selection of tracks or playlists was way too clumsy.
The current shuffle is perfect as an ultimate, light-weight music player, giving me the opportunity to find playlists and tracks in very little time.
I love the ability to clip on (no need for a 3rd party holder) and gesture-twist of the screen orientation allows me to select an optimal viewing angle irregardless of where I have the nano clipped. (arm bands always seemed to get the orientation wrong).

The only thing you give up on this design is video playback (and video recording) but if you really do a lot with video (viewing or recording) you would be best served getting an iPod touch or iPhone.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
I have the watch attachment and wear it as a wrist watch every day and get comments like "Nice Watch" all day long. And then i have to explain that it is an ipod and people freak out.

Me too, and I've had the same reaction. People just cannot believe that it's an iPod on my wrist and they love it when they see it working. People's faces tell the story: this is one cool device.

aplqna

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
Maryland
Podcasts?

Has anyone noticed that it now lists podcasts from the date FURTHEST to the present date? This just happened with the software update and I find it extremely annoying because I have to scroll through over 170 podcasts to get to today's grrr. It was better before! I do like the sleep button's multi-function, though. Now, I won't have to hear people b**ch that it doesn't turn off and therefore sucks. ;)

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar

The new Nanos suck. Bring back the last gen!!

Thats your opinion. I love the new nano. Its my favorite iPod.

TorontoLRT

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2010
Toronto, Duh!
Will this thread be nothing but trolling and pointless responses to the trolling? Personally, I don't think the new Nanos are for me, but it is a good product and I don't understand all the hate at all.

iScott428

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Orlando, FL
Has anyone noticed that it now lists podcasts from the date FURTHEST to the present date? This just happened with the software update and I find it extremely annoying because I have to scroll through over 170 podcasts to get to today's grrr. It was better before! I do like the sleep button's multi-function, though. Now, I won't have to hear people b**ch that it doesn't turn off and therefore sucks. ;)

I Have not gotten the new update yet, but could there be a setting that allows you to sort the podcasts the way you want, essentially reverse the current order.

ironman159

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2008
Costa Rica
I had a 5th gen iPod nano for the gym, which was pretty good. But this new nano with the clip thingy is the BEST for someone who needs something with a SCREEN and the the size of a dust particle. :)

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Good. All 6 Nano owners have a benefit.

This was the stupidest Apple product ever made, because of price alone but also because of how it neutered a product and charged the same for a LOT less.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003

Heh, the touch button 3rd Gen happens to be my favorite iPod. I'd probably still use it if it hadn't been stolen :(

yukio

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2008
I thought that Nano6 did not support Nike+?

Even asked at the Apple Store in SF Downtown and got that answer.

Any owners out there able to confirm that yes, it does indeed work?

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Now if only Apple would let us use more than the 9 different included backgrounds.

As for people who don't like the new Nano, why are you even interested enough to post ? I happen to love my new Nano, it's the perfect Gym form factor. No need for an armband, just clip it whereever and off you go to work out.

And it's way better than a shuffle, at least I can listen to exactly what I want to listen, not just a bunch of music on shuffle...

It has a built in pedometer which can sync "workouts" :

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-02-23 at 6.46.30 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-02-23 at 6.46.30 PM.png
    36.3 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:

iScott428

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Orlando, FL

Yes it does support Nike+, although you will need to purchase the Nike+ Kit with the receiver that plugs into the back.

I use mine all the time for Nike+ing, as well as the pedometer all day every day!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.