iPod not recognized by my iTunes!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by davidkandersen, Mar 9, 2007.

1. davidkandersen macrumors newbie

I've got an iBook G3 (10.1.5). I've got an iPod Mini and a Nano. I used to download music onto them from my office computer. I recently got laid off. I've got iTunes 4 on my laptop but when I plug in either one of my iPods they mount on the HD but do not register with iTunes. I go to the preferences > iPod and it says "No iPod Connected" and I can't go any further. I've been unable to download any updates to iTunes and although I have updaters for iPods nothing works in making my iTunes 4 recognize my iPod(s).

Any HELP would be greatly appreciated.

2. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

You need iTunes 7 and at least 10.3. Pretty sure Nanos won't work with anything before 6 or pre-Panther. I had this problem with a non-photo 3G 40GB that I tried connecting after it died. Also, remember that your G3 iBook has usb 1.1 and the iPods you have will charge via a firewire cable but will only sync via a usb cable. You can use a usb cable plugged into a 1.1 port, it will just transfer slowly. But I know someone with a rev. A 867 12" PB who got a 80GB video iPod and sync'd 20GB of music. In order to keep it from burning up the iPod, he used manual mode through iTunes and dragged 400-500 songs at a time, each block taking 30-45 minutes. Over a couple days, he moved his library. Once he got it all in, he switched it to auto sync. Now when he adds a new album, it can add that in a minute or two. He did have to upgrade to Panther, 10.3 and the latest iTunes when he bought his video.