Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jclin10

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2009
I'm looking to get an mp3 player, though preferably an iPod, for my son to listen to music. Are old iPods still compatible with Apple's newest operating systems, or are there any compatibility or obsolescence issues?

philden

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
I'm looking to get an mp3 player, though preferably an iPod, for my son to listen to music. Are old iPods still compatible with Apple's newest operating systems, or are there any compatibility or obsolescence issues?
I believe iPods are all still supported by Apple, though via the Finder instead of iTunes in recent OS versions. I don't use anything newer than 10.14 Mojave, which still has iTunes. Any old iPod is likely to need a new battery, and if hard drive based also updated storage. If you get any of the 'classic' models then you'll be able to replace both relatively easily. You'll also have the choice of running Rockbox on the iPod, which will give much more flexibility in loading music.

Reactions: Slix

Soondae

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2012
Hua Hin, Thailand
An option is to get him an old iPhone load it up with music and away you go. I still am using a iPod Nano 7 gen. The iPhone with a lightening cable to any Mac will work fine either old iTunes or via the Finder on more modern computers. As philden states you probably will have battery issues with iPods though you should be okay with later gen iPod touch and Nano models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.