Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
Here's my background: I just got my own digital camera (PowerShot A80) to use when I go to Australia this summer. I have the Belkin media reader so I can use the 40GB in my iPod for something ;). I played around with it, realizing that the iPod can get both the photos and the movies I make. Then I got to wondering two things:

Why doesn't Apple support the iPod as a "camera" in iMovie? With the same ease of use of iPhoto, you could get your movies too with a supported camera.

Additionally, will there ever be the day where the Belkin reader or another reader can import video from today's video cameras? Or why not just a direct cable, no reader needed.

I don't mean to say that I want a viewer, because I really see no need for that in the iPod as it is. But wouldn't these be cool features? What other things could Apple add along these lines? I think that the iPod could bring a huge market for them as its storage gets bigger.

The possibilities aren't endless, but they're there.
–Chase

Biker21098

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2002
CA
iPod is slow

I'm not to sure about most of the stuff, but I know when playing DV25 NTSC footage off of the iPod while editing in final cut pro, it doesn't work, i get dropped frames. I don't think the iPod, at least in my case can get enough bandwidth to do DV editing. now mpeg movies that might be more possible. iMovie was would have a hardtime reading the mpeg movies that your digital still camera made becuase it only uses the dv codec. Final Cut would be able to re-render the video to DV, i think. iMovie wouldn't be able to natively do it.

P.S. woohoo i'm now a member not a newbie. I've been reading these forums forever, just bout time i started trying to help out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.