Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Royal Pineapple

macrumors 65816
Original poster
i have saved my $ and ¢ and i have come up with enough to purchase the new slim 10gb iPod with the remote control.
my question is, are the new iPods shipping yet, or are they at any stores?
i would really like to get it at compusa so that i can get the extended warrenty as well, because ive read a lot of horror stories about people whoes iPod broke right after the 90 day warrenty was up.

does any one have a new iPod or has ordered one?
-royal

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
i know two people who ordered the new ipods (one got a 10gb and the other a 20gb) and neither of them has shipped yet

i believe the mac ipods are scheduled to ship in august and the pc ones sometime after that

Royal Pineapple

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Originally posted by sparkleytone
the ipods have actually been upgraded to a 1yr warranty. they did this very quietly after MW.
good for them, thats great:D im much happier now than.

Originally posted by Kishba
i know two people who ordered the new ipods (one got a 10gb and the other a 20gb) and neither of them has shipped yet

i believe the mac ipods are scheduled to ship in august and the pc ones sometime after that
like Aug 1?, meaning day after the day after tomorrow?;):D

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
According to my local Apple Store, August 1st or 2nd is the expected shelf date. I would assume preffered channel resellers should be expecting within days of Apple stores.

I ordered my 20GB today, and was given a 2-3 day shipping estimate from macconnection.com.

PC versions should be in the channel by the end ot the month!

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
10 gb mac version is at 2-4 weeks according to the online store. at least it was as of 2 days ago....

my girlfriend just ordered one. can't wait to "borrow" it.... funny thing is, she has a pc. but she got the mac version.... ahh word

Royal Pineapple

macrumors 65816
Original poster
>10 gb mac version is at 2-4 weeks according to the online store. at least it was as of 2 days ago....

my girlfriend just ordered one. can't wait to "borrow" it.... funny thing is, she has a pc. but she got the mac version.... ahh word
your GF has a PC? im ashamed of you;)
that shipping date sucks.
>I ordered my 20GB today, and was given a 2-3 day shipping estimate from macconnection.com.

i like this one better;)

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
well the fact that she's getting a MAC ipod should be a good indicator of how i have helped her see the light as it were... she won't be buying a pc ever again. certainly not unless i'm out of the picture...

i see her as an ibook type person myself......

also, her pc doesn't even have firewire...

Royal Pineapple

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
well the fact that she's getting a MAC ipod should be a good indicator of how i have helped her see the light as it were... she won't be buying a pc ever again. certainly not unless i'm out of the picture...

i see her as an ibook type person myself......

also, her pc doesn't even have firewire...

hope she makes the switch, and keeps you at the same time

the iBook is a wonderful macheine,

perhaps she is planing on using you for your music collection;)

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
I too just ordered the 10 GB remote model for me and the Mrs. Cannot wait to get this thing in my hands. I have not been this excited about a product in a very, very long time. Hopefully I can sell our Flower Power iMac and get a new 17 inch Wide screen iMac to go with the iPod. :p

Archer

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2002
It's Aug. 15th for the iPod. you have to wait a bit more. Called two Apple stores so that's the downlow. The wife and are are getting the 10gb, sweet.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Man, this new revision is selling like mad! I know 6 people on PC's that have ordered theirs! They want a mac, but cannot get one now, but hey, they are supporting the mothership right.

Royal Pineapple

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Originally posted by Backtothemac
Man, this new revision is selling like mad! I know 6 people on PC's that have ordered theirs! They want a mac, but cannot get one now, but hey, they are supporting the mothership right.
can the pc version work with a mac? arnt they essentally the same hardware, just a difrent software?

im about to order mine right now
;)

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Actually I think that they are harder to change than you would think. Apple has made it more difficult to convert than one would assume. There have been articles about it on the web, but I don't have a link.

Your getting the Mac version right?:D

Royal Pineapple

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Originally posted by Backtothemac
Actually I think that they are harder to change than you would think. Apple has made it more difficult to convert than one would assume. There have been articles about it on the web, but I don't have a link.

Your getting the Mac version right?:D
of course im getting the mac version, what would i do with a PC version? i dont nead a doorstop, and i dont need another paper weight;)

JuneBug

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2002
I don't know about the rest of you who have ordered one of the new iPods, but I am going out of my mind waiting for my order to change from being assembled to shipped. I ordered mine about 1 hour after they were realeased and was promised an August 1 ship date. After talking to Apple two days ago they said it would go out around the 3rd now. I am just wondering if it wouldn't be too much trouble to everyone to just keep everyone else up to date about their iPod orders so everyone can know when to start standing at their doors waiting for the fedex guy to come :) So if you get any updates or your order status magically changes it would be much appreciated to give a quick post to let everyone know that Apple is finally starting to get these bad boys out. Thanks in advance. Im sure it will help everyone out.

awrc

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2002
Milwaukee, WI
I ordered two today. A 10GB for my wife, and a 20GB for myself, accurately reflecting my being twice her size and noticably fatter :D

I can't wait. My credit card, on the other hand, wishes I had. Two iPods, both engraved, plus sales tax. Ouch. Plus the 30GB Toshiba drive I had in my Nomad Jukebox is moving on to a new life as a teeny tiny portable Firewire drive, so add another $110 for a nice little Firewire enclosure.

Shipping date for both lists as 2-3 weeks. I've no idea whether those getting them shipped unengraved are being told earlier ship dates.

Out of curiosity, what percentage of the people here are getting the laser engraving? $50 is a lot, but I figured when the unit's costing $400 or $500 and it'll provide some form of identification for it, what the hey.

Neither of ours has what I'd call normal engravings. My wife's has (with her e-mail address suitably obscured):

xxxx@yyy.com
Any fruit to declare?

My own (also with e-mail address obscured to avoid spam harvesters):

xxxx@yyyy.com
click click drone

Anybody else got anything engraved that's more along the lines of personalization than the usual "To Igor On Your Birthday, Mom" or "Congratulations On Your Graduation" and the other, more normal things you'd expect people to get engraved? Anyone know if Apple reject/censor stuff that people might find offensive or obscene?

Alan

PS Bonus "you are a veritable goldmine of useless trivia" points to anyone who can name the sources of both the quotes we used. No Google allowed, since it takes about 3 seconds flat if you use a search engine.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
>A 10GB for my wife, and a 20GB for myself, accurately reflecting my being twice her size and noticably fatter :D

If she sees this, you won't have any iPods to listen to. :D

>Out of curiosity, what percentage of the people here are getting the laser engraving?

I know I don't have any engraving on the iPod, but I guess people perfer the old fashioned pen and paper. :rolleyes:

awrc

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2002
Milwaukee, WI
Originally posted by King Cobra
>A 10GB for my wife, and a 20GB for myself, accurately reflecting my being twice her size and noticably fatter :D

If she sees this, you won't have any iPods to listen to. :D

Nonono, the 10GB iPod is thinner than the 20GB one, thinner I tell you.

Oh god, I'd better go check the spec sheets...

Whew - the 10GB is 0.72in thick and weighs 6.5oz. The 20GB is 0.84in thick and weighs 7.2oz. So I'm safe, as long as she doesn't think it's proportional and I'm saying she's 90% of my weight.

The capacity difference doesn't bother her - she's going to be able to fit her entire CD collection on there and have room to spare, whereas I'm going to have to pick and choose - Apple estimates 400 CDs on a 20GB iPod, so I've got to pick my top 25%. Hey, I found another use for the My Rating feature in iTunes 3 that I was so dismissive of!

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Oh, right. My mistake. I mixed up the two.

Well, a congrats on the double iPod purchase. You've made Apple very happy today.

If you get the chance, and if you are a gamer, try out the breakout game on it. :p :cool:

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
About the PC iPod working with a Mac, maybe, but I know for sure that the Mac iPod won't work with a PC, because the PC iPod has a different file system. I'm not sure if the Mac can read this file system, or what...

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Originally posted by awrc

Anybody else got anything engraved that's more along the lines of personalization than the usual "To Igor On Your Birthday, Mom" or "Congratulations On Your Graduation" and the other, more normal things you'd expect people to get engraved? Anyone know if Apple reject/censor stuff that people might find offensive or obscene?

Back when .mac (there is no .mac TLD, and m$ has little to do with .net TLDs) was called iTools, and free, I contemplated:

Return To:
rewardformyipod@mac.com

But with the $100 a year .mac (M$ clone) cost, I figure I'll just put the damn thing on my insurance.

phufball71

macrumors member
May 14, 2002
Florida
Originally posted by Royal Pineapple

can the pc version work with a mac? arnt they essentally the same hardware, just a difrent software?

Wrong. THe pc ipod is formated in the windows hd format as opposed to the mac hd format. I saw something about this on "Call for help" on tech tv. The author of "Secrets of the ipod" was on the show.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.