Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
Is the sound quality coming out of the same pair of speakers from an ipod the same as if the speakers were connected to an ibook? Or does the ipod have a significantly better sound? :confused:

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
I don't see why it would be any different. Is there something leading you to ask this question?

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
well then...

gonna need new headphones....cuz to tell u the truth, my creative nomad jukebox produced alot better sound through its headphones with the EAX on. :eek:

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
id go for a good set of headphones. . . i have a pair of sony studio monitor headphones and they rock (when i want really really good quality) but the earbuds still work well when i want portability! the worst thing i get from sound quality is a poorly ripped mp3s with slow bit-rates or bad recordings. you might try playing with the EQ under settings for your iPod. and see if the sound check is on or off.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
for some reason i would think that the only way that the iPod would be equal to the sound from your computer would be if you used the line out on the dock, but then again i could be wrong....

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
PlaceofDis said:
for some reason i would think that the only way that the iPod would be equal to the sound from your computer would be if you used the line out on the dock, but then again i could be wrong....

Well, the iBook doesn't have a line-out either...so assuming he's doing what most of us are, and running a mini-headphone -> RCA cable to his stereo or speakers, shouldn't it be the same? I haven't noticed a significant difference....

But I'm confused...CubaTBird, are you talking about speakers or headphones? You said speakers in the first post but talked about getting new h/p in the second... :confused:

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
headphones

i meant headphones. When I plug my headphones into my ibook, the sound is "okay". When I plug them into an ipod, would the sound be just the same or significantly better? :confused:

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
the headphone jacks on both your ibook and iPod will deliver the same quality, if there is any difference i doubt it would be anything noticable to most people

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
PlaceofDis said:
the headphone jacks on both your ibook and iPod will deliver the same quality, if there is any difference i doubt it would be anything noticable to most people

True that...if one or the other has a crackle or static hiss, it may possibly be due to a bad connector. But if you're getting good sound from one and not the other with the same headphones I wouldn't suspect the headphones, unless another set of speakers or headphones sounds the same on both... :confused:

jtkellertx

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2004
The Wooodlands, TX
Headfones?

I got some MDR-EX51 ear buds, they go in the ear canal,they insulate noise, and have a very good frequency range 6hz to 23khz. Just have to make sure you use the right size insulator and postion them correctly in your ears, if you use these in a noisy environment, they're perfect.
To answer your question, I listen very closely to music, and it seems that the iPod has a worse equalizer/amp and some of the lower range sounds and very high range sounds aren't properly displayed. I turned the EQ off on both to test this, the Bass Boast on the iPod is very bad

Edit: I did have some static w/ the previous headphones while using the iPod, I'm guessing this has something to do w/ the metal contact of the mini plug contacting the metal case of the iPod (I have a 3G 15gig)
The newer ear buds I got (discribed above) has a smaller surface in which it contacts the metal housing of the iPod

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.