Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What will Apple do with the iPod touch line this year?

• Discontinue it.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • Nothing.

Votes: 55 62.5%
  • Update it with an A9 processor and/or a bigger screen and/or other capabilities!

Votes: 17 19.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
The difference is that the iPhone 7 is not targeted to teens and pre-teens. Note: I'm not saying that those are the only people who buy them, but the iPod Touch has become the gameboy for many youth. THAT demographic uses headphones/earbuds frequently and will not look kindly to having an adapter to buy and/or lose.

Most kids those age just have cheaper iPhones instead of iPod touches. Again, this is where the iPhone SE comes in. And if they keep the body style the same, then the headphone jack will remain and there will be no need for that adapter. But even so, they solve the needing an adapter problem by providing the Lightning EarPods with the phone.
That is true, there are already Lightning ones included, so you most likely have a backup.

I just don't think it's that big of a deal to most. They can keep the adapter connected to the headphones at all times if need be. Losing headphones was always a possibility, and it might be a bit of an annoyance, but I think even younger children can manage.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I just don't think it's that big of a deal to most. They can keep the adapter connected to the headphones at all times if need be. Losing headphones was always a possibility, and it might be a bit of an annoyance, but I think even younger children can manage.
I'm speaking as a "veteran" parent who is now an empty-nester. ;) But as a fan of the iPod Touch, i DO hope that I'm wrong and it won't be discontinued.

Reactions: yochanan77

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
well...if it disappears i will not buy one...

_57c8a1a431a592af806925e57258202f.png

:p

jedisaga

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2008
Havertown, PA
I personally think Apple will update the IPT but not until next year. And, if they do so, it will only be enough to keep it current with the latest OS. Don't expect any drastic changes.

J

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I was thinking there would be some changes to storage options (dropping 16 GB and starting at 32 GB with all prices adjusted and introducing a 256 GB model), but since they've already done that with pretty much every iOS device except the iPod touch I no longer think that they will do anything with them this year. Maybe a minor refresh in 2017.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
One year before the Touch will no longer run the newest IOS, Apple will either refresh or discontinue it. You will not see any Touch updates until then although they may discontinue it before then.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I'd miss mine - I mainly use it for reading books, the News app plus listening to music.

It's nice to take a phone call on it, too, when my SE is in the other room

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Same was told about the ipod touch 5...and surprise a brand new ipod touch 6 arrived last year...only Apple knows their game we can only speculate.
Whether or not they discontinue or update the line will be based entirely on whether it makes financial sense for Apple to continue selling them. Obviously they were still doing well enough in 2015 to warrant a refresh with upgraded internals and new colors. After that it could go either way, either another refresh in a year or two, or discontinue when it is a year before the 6th generation will be no longer supported by the latest version of iOS.

brclark80

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2016
Hickory, NC
If Apple updates the Touch with similar specs to the iPhone 7, I would sell my iPad Air 2 and get one. I know it won't happen, but I used to own several until I upgraded to the iPad Air. While I love my iPad, it's nice to browse websites full size, I have MS and have numbness and pain in my hands and the smaller size would help relieve some of the pain and fatigue that comes from the bigger device. I would love to see it upgraded with more RAM, 32gb minimum, Touch ID (not sure if the 6th gen has it or not), maybe a bigger screen like the iPhone 7, and of course the A10 processor and GPS.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
I can see an A9 + Touch-ID refresh, since the SE has these. But for sure no new design, I mean, it's already thinner than the iPhone.

Nurse Michael

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2016
Germany
What about the battery drain with WiFi on after the Upgrade to iOS 10? People have argued about very short running time while streaming music to the iPod.

Reactions: smorrissey

27 others

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2015
What about the battery drain with WiFi on after the Upgrade to iOS 10? People have argued about very short running time while streaming music to the iPod.
I am beginnning to suspect this is true. Though last night it was because I put it down with the flashlight still on. It is annoying how often it bugs me to join a network- seems any app can trigger it.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
The iPodTouch gives me all the capabilities of the iPhone without a monthly plan fee, except of course it is not a phone, although by downloading Line2 it turns into a phone whenever there is wifi available...
I've been voiping for 3 years now. Surprised hasn't become "a thing"

JamieLion

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2016
I really love the iPod touch and i hope it gets an update. If it gets discontinued that will be a great shame.

One of the purposes the iPod Touch serves extremely well is as a voice for people who are unable to speak (known as AAC). I use my iPod Touch to run Proloquo4Text and when i am outside my home that is my primary communication method.

An iPhone can do it, but whereas parents / schools / local authorities will fund a £150-175 iPod Touch (with a warranty) then won't by an iPhone due to the price and the PR problems caused. If the iPod touch was discontinued, many many autistic people would have a powerful tool for communication taken away.

I've written about the iPod and autism stuff here: http://spacedoutandsmiling.com/reviews/ipod-touch-6th-generation and here: http://jkg3.com/Journal/why-i-traded-my-ipad-for-an-ipod-touch if your curious for more info :D

Jamie + Lion

Reactions: ackmondual

nerven

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2016
Now that all that all the iPhone pre-orders are done..My orb shows the iPod Plus update by months end with the new wireless ear bud tech...

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
I've got an IpT5 that's running on 3 years. Battery life has taken a large hit, but it still works. If that dies, I'll see if I should bite the bullet and get an IpT6, get a used Iph6 or later (if I can get it for less than $250) for the 4.7" screen, or go with reduced iOS gaming on my Ipad Air

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.