Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MicroByte

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
One thing I notices about the screen is the contrast. It seems like the colors are more vibrant than the 4G. Looking at it face on, the clarity is the same. It's really decent at wide angles though.

The camera is very fast in terms of taking pictures, even with flash it only takes about half a second. It's much faster than my Samsunf Galaxy 5 was.

Here's a sample picture taken outside, cloudy day.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 219

TurboJobo

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2009
San Diego/Tijuana
Hi, guys i just 2 yellow ipod touch 32 gb at the apple store at the otay ranch they had every color except for red and pink :( they told just go ahead and get a yellow one for the moment and come back in a week a gent a red one

MicroByte

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Hi, guys i just 2 yellow ipod touch 32 gb at the apple store at the otay ranch they had every color except for red and pink :( they told just go ahead and get a yellow one for the moment and come back in a week a gent a red one

Funny, they told me something similar as well when I mentioned that I originally wanted silver/white.

TurboJobo

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2009
San Diego/Tijuana
Funny, they told me something similar as well when I mentioned that I originally wanted silver/white.

lol yeah i didn't want to do that i find it wrong some how lol but its ok i guess it was their idea, at first they did not want to sell them some guy then i ask someone else i he told me in one condicion and i said what? and he told open them here i want to see them lol but yeah he told me and my girldfriend we were the first ones to buy one at the apple store

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Thanks Bud! I almost feel guilty since your's are all on the way still. The Apple employee was a little shocked when I came rushing in and had to go back to check. Took about 10 minutes but she finally came back out with my new iPod Touch and had to look it over herself since she hadn't seen one before.

Must have been a fresh delivery just this afternoon.

Backing up my old device and will pop open the new in a bit. I'll give impressions later, especially around game performance since, well, I do that a lot...

Could you also please answer the question about the ambient light sensor (i.e. does it look like it has one).

MicroByte

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Could you also please answer the question about the ambient light sensor (i.e. does it look like it has one).

Sorry to say this, but it does not look like there is a sensor. On my 4G, you can see it near the front camera if you hold it at the right angle. Not seeing anything there.

I don't see it dimming or getting brighter and there is no setting under my brightness control either.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Sorry to say this, but it does not look like there is a sensor. On my 4G, you can see it near the front camera if you hold it at the right angle. Not seeing anything there.

I don't see it dimming or getting brighter and there is no setting under my brightness control either.

Thank you....

Project538

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
Iowa, USA
Wow, looks like I've missed a lot while I was gone for the evening! Congratulations to everyone who got their hands on one! I, for one, will just wait for my preorder to arrive since it's already on track to get here pretty soon :)

MicroByte

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Wow, looks like I've missed a lot while I was gone for the evening! Congratulations to everyone who got their hands on one! I, for one, will just wait for my preorder to arrive since it's already on track to get here pretty soon :)

I think you're going to love it. It's so fast compared to the 4G. I picked up Crazy Taxi tonight and its perfect.

Batterylife seems really decent so far as well. My 4Gdraimed so fast. I've been doing a ton most of the night and it looks to be slightly over 60% still.

Also, so glad I got the black version as well, it looks so sleek.

Project538

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
Iowa, USA
I think you're going to love it. It's so fast compared to the 4G. I picked up Crazy Taxi tonight and its perfect.

Batterylife seems really decent so far as well. My 4Gdraimed so fast. I've been doing a ton most of the night and it looks to be slightly over 60% still.

Also, so glad I got the black version as well, it looks so sleek.

Oh, I know I'm going to love it. I'm upgrading from a 2nd generation, which is borderline unusable now... this new one is going to rock! I can actually use it for games too, which will be pretty exciting (my 2nd gen was just too slow).

Have you given the EarPods a try? I'm curious to see how they compare both to Apple's old earbuds and higher-end competing earbuds and in-ears.

MicroByte

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Oh, I know I'm going to love it. I'm upgrading from a 2nd generation, which is borderline unusable now... this new one is going to rock! I can actually use it for games too, which will be pretty exciting (my 2nd gen was just too slow).

Have you given the EarPods a try? I'm curious to see how they compare both to Apple's old earbuds and higher-end competing earbuds and in-ears.

No, haven't tried war buds yet. I'm going to give them a good workout tomorrow at work, that'll be a good test.

Project538

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
Iowa, USA
No, haven't tried war buds yet. I'm going to give them a good workout tomorrow at work, that'll be a good test.

Great, let me know how they sound :) I don't expect to be blown away by them, but if I like them enough that I could see myself using them regularly I may go in to the Apple Store and grab a pair with the remote and mic. I was talking to an Apple retail employee tonight and he was really surprised that the EarPods packaged with the iPods didn't have the remote on them. He pretty much echoed my thoughts: it's silly and (quoting him) "un-Apple" to manufacture a second pair of EarPods that you're only going to package with iPods. They don't actually sell the remote-less EarPods in stores. Seems dumb to me, but I digress...

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
it's already afternoon on Thursday. but there is no sign that retail store will have inventory anytime soon in Korea. so another week will be gone soon. by the way, apple is so mean. they set the price $299 which wasn't typical apple price strategy during Steve Jobs. oh, wait. he was passed away. it's not apple anymore. with $299, they didn't even include earpods which equips with iPhone 5. it's called 'greedy'. they want to sell separated earpods for ipod touch users. sometimes it's not all about choices. this kind of $29 earphone should be included with the package for service. otherwise, consumers will slowly turn it away in the future. I know it is very tiny. but some people maybe piss off.

johnzsosmooth

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2012

I tried the earpods for a good solid 10 minutes and they crush the old iphone earphones. The mids and highs are more clean and clear, and also they are more bass heavy. They also fit like a charm for someone with medium sized ears. :D

LinusR

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
I've only heard of 32GB models been bought in retail stores. The 64GB models aren't available in stores yet, are they?

MicroByte

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Here are some comparison pictures of 4G versus 5G camera snaps. These were taken outside on a fairly cloudy day at around 6:00pm so light wasn't ideal.

4G
outdoor_4g.jpg

5G
outdoor_5g.jpg

4G
pillow_4g.jpg

5G
pillow_5g.jpg

mommyto3gs

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2012
Picked up a Blue 32GB at the Pentagon City store. They had a few 32GB in almost every color and a couple of 64GB in stock.

It feels very light. Almost too light--cheap?

But i Love having iCloud. I used the apple store wifi to sync some songs and I was good to go!

I agree with the "almost too light" comment!

Project538

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
Iowa, USA
I'm getting mildly annoyed with FedEx. I woke up this morning expecting that my iPod would have moved from Anchorage to Memphis, but alas, it has not. They did the same thing earlier this week, letting it sit in China a whole day before flying it to the States. Is it so impossible to move something more than once in a day? Oh well, as long as it arrives by the estimated date and time they gave me I suppose I can't complain...

edlex

macrumors 68020
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
Well I gave it a shot and called my local Apple store at 10am (Miami/Falls store) and the young man told me there was "limited amount" of the 32gb slate available. I tried to get how many and if he could save it for me. He said he couldn't but that it wasn't busy right now. I ran right over and ended being the first in the store to buy the new touch! Turns out they only had the one unit. They were all really excited and huddled around me to see it since they hadn't seen it yet. Needless to say I cancelled my slate 64gb pre order that I placed on 9/28. Backing up my 4th gen now and getting ready to be in 5g touch heaven!

Last edited:

Derwinator

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2008
I'm getting mildly annoyed with FedEx. I woke up this morning expecting that my iPod would have moved from Anchorage to Memphis, but alas, it has not. They did the same thing earlier this week, letting it sit in China a whole day before flying it to the States. Is it so impossible to move something more than once in a day? Oh well, as long as it arrives by the estimated date and time they gave me I suppose I can't complain...

Yeah, I agree - its starting to make me doubt that its going to make it to me by this time tomorrow!

Project538

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
Iowa, USA
Yeah, I agree - its starting to make me doubt that its going to make it to me by this time tomorrow!

If it's any consolation, FedEx has an Anchorage to Memphis flight landing in ten minutes, and it probably won't be the last one of the day judging by the runs they've been making throughout the week. I'm not too worried; they've been doing this for a long time and probably have it planned out very well. If it hits Memphis early today, gets sorted, and is sent to your local center by tonight, then it'll be all set to be delivered to you tomorrow morning :)

Remember, "In Transit" should mean it's left the city, or at the very least has been scanned and loaded up. Anchorage was just the last place it was scanned. Then again, I might be overly optimistic about all this... I just want my iPod to arrive on time!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.