Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
Sorry but i expect better battery life than a 5 year old touch 4. Don't think that is an unreal expectation. 4.5 hours with everything turned off is not good. Going from 80% to 20% in less than 2 hours is terrible, watching video or not.

Is it realistic when you consider how thin it is and the the size of the battery. You can have all the expectations you want, but you can't overcome battery technology. Until Apple comes off this thin craze, which I don't suspect they will this is the nature of the beast. If you can't live with it, then speak with your money, don't buy it! It won't change anything, but that is your only option. Hopefully you can find something else to buy that meets your needs.

I have found the battery meeter isn't very accurate. I've had this thing stay on 20% over an hour before dropping. Again, if isn't working for you speak with your money!

lkit

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2015
My recent battery life has gone up to 12 hours, where most of that usage was from leaving the Touch playing overnight with earpods. Today I played it through a portable Fiio E12 amp, and it hadn't budged from 99% for a full hour that I used it. The volume was at 75%, and the screen was off. I also downloaded several songs from Apple Music. It's still stuck at 99% so I'm happy!

I also let the Touch drop to about 10% this morning, which turned it off automatically. I did a full charge afterwards.

Edit: So I downloaded 6 audible books from the cloud, which took about four minutes, and the percent dropped to 94%. This is a more reasonable drop in % battery life than what I had before.

I decided to restart the Touch, because I had a suspicion that it's battery life would fluctuate again. Interestingly, after the restart, the battery life read 98%. However, one minute later it read 93%.

Last edited:
Reactions: OTACORB

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
couple charges on mine, 3.5 hours use and 8 days 18 hours standby and still havent had the 10% warning yet but getting close

wifi on, full brightness, mostly just dinking off with the home screen and settings etc

very happy, WAY better than my 5G ever was

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
I suspect that puma1552 is happy about 3.5 hours WITH 8 days 18 hours of standby. He didn't say that 3.5 hours of use caused the battery to drop down to 10%.

Correct, I think 3.5 hours of screwing around with full brightness and wifi on and approaching 9 DAYS of standby is pretty darn good. That's a lot of standby, and a lot of screen juice to be at full brightness for that long. Probably could've squeaked 10 days standby out of it, but I charged it last night.

Reactions: OTACORB

Maribel4728

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2015
The last charge lasted 4 hours 43 min, (and 8 hours 11 min of standby). My son played with games like SimCity (27 %), Clumsy Ninja and some GarageBand as well as little games on the Internet (21 % Safari). He didn't listened to music, only gaming.

I thought it will last longer for this utilisation. What do you think?

Charging is really fast (too fast?). In one hour, it indicates about 75% on the small icon.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
The last charge lasted 4 hours 43 min, (and 8 hours 11 min of standby). My son played with games like SimCity (27 %), Clumsy Ninja and some GarageBand as well as little games on the Internet (21 % Safari). He didn't listened to music, only gaming.

I thought it will last longer for this utilisation. What do you think?

Charging is really fast (too fast?). In one hour, it indicates about 75% on the small icon.

Games are pretty graphic and processor intensive, so I think this is likely going to be pretty typical. Though the battery may improve some as it gets a bit more seasoned with use.

I think all of us would agree that we'd be happier with a bit thicker device with a bigger battery for longer life. :)

Reactions: Maribel4728

Trj

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2010
Bought this for my daughter, used it during a road trip and the battery died much quicker than I expected. Has been charged 4/5 times and it's lucky to make it 3 hours with nothing more than some videos playing, pretty poor for a $300 device in my opinion.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 399
Reactions: iPadCary

Maribel4728

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2015
My son get longer, but he doesn't play videos. I too would not be happy to get only 2.5 hours.

Did you try to adjust some settings? There is a list of things to do that can help on the Apple website and other sites. For examples, some apps could take energy while they are searching for wifi or doing updates, even if you're not using them. I would try that and see if it improves.

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
The two easiest and most effective battery saving habits to form are:
1) set the screen brightness to 30% rather than full intensity (if not in bright sun)
2) Turn off wi-fi (or use Airplane mode) when you don't actually need it.

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2012
I exchanged my first 6g because of battery life. The new one is better, but I'm convinced now that the problem is old apps that haven't been updated or tested with newer versions of IOS. I have two apps I like to use that fit this description, and when I use them battery life plummets.

Trj

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2010
My son get longer, but he doesn't play videos. I too would not be happy to get only 2.5 hours.

Did you try to adjust some settings? There is a list of things to do that can help on the Apple website and other sites. For examples, some apps could take energy while they are searching for wifi or doing updates, even if you're not using them. I would try that and see if it improves.

Thanks for the reply, this is probably the 20th Apple device I've purchased so, yes I've tried all of the ios8 battery tricks etc :)

I'm going to run some test of my own this weekend and see, I could like with four continuous hours, but 2.5-3 seems a bit weak. Cheers

flyinghero

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2015
I recieved a new Ipod touch 6 (128mb) from the Apple store friday.
Downloaded and tried several apps, and noticed that the battery drained really fast.
Thought it was because of the heavy downloads and fast switching between a lot of apps - no games though.

Saturday, I only used a few music apps (Caustic + Looper) and noticed the same pattern:
Battery drain from 100% to 30 % in 2-3 hours.

Today, I switched off all Wifi/bluetooth etc.
Airplane mode
Screen at 30%, off at 1 minute.
No notifications.

Played 1 song on repeat in VLC (can´t upload songs to Itunes/connect to mac, because I´m still running OS 10.6.8)
Nothing else - no video, other apps, nothing.

Battery full charged.
The music played exactly 11 hours.
At 14% the Ipod turned off.

Should I worry? Or is this expected behaviour?
11 hours is far from the advertised 40 hours of music playback...
I am ready to return it, and try another -advice appreciated :)

Would Itunes be better for this kind of (unscientific) test?

Tomorrow, I´ll try video playback.

Thanks
H

Reactions: iPadCary

LarsHarner

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2015
I turned off several items last night such as automatic refresh of apps, bluetooth, but kept wifi and am about 10% after about 2 hours of music usage and 20 hours standby with likely just wifi on.
However, when I use it I tend to either be listening to sirius xm/music and webpages. What should I expect in reality given I will be changing songs, pages etc...

Trj

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2010
My daughters seems to have gotten better with time, only changes I've made has been turning the screen brightness down a touch. It's now getting pretty much a full five hours of heavy use, no complaints.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 313
Reactions: vanzantapple

Maribel4728

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2015
I will have to bring it back and exchange it for a new one. Last charge lasted 2 h 45 with 3 h stanby with luminosity about 1/5. That's a great device, so I hope it will be ok with a new one and that it's not a problem extend to all devices...

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
My gold one chewed through battery like nothing I'd ever seen.

My red replacement one, that I exchanged for because the red ones seem to have the best aligned home buttons, has much better battery life. I suspect the red ones are made in a different location, with different parts supplier(s).

Maybe it's an Apple experiment of some sort, to see if a new facility and new part manufacturer/suppliers are up to snuff?

I didn't want red at all. Really red is my least favorite of all the choices. But when comparing all of them against each in three different Apple stores (can you guess where I live?) the red ones were always a little better assembled, at least from the outside.

I guess the red one is the one to get. It doesn't really matter, I just threw a case over it anyway.

LarsHarner

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2015
I do have a habit of playing around with the screen, listings etc.. wifi when listening to music and after around 4 hours with either bluetooth or wifi on (tried just for 1) and surfing when on wifi am at 40% with 4 hours usage. I am wondering should I head back on day 14 for an exchange on Sunday? I did shut off the location access and fit tracking as I don't need those

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
Battery life on my gold 32GB seems to be very good - down to around 50% with a fair amount of usage.

3P0JtMe075neFvi172dZAyD2foyUfZSozm4F8amBOKI=w608-h1077-no

Reactions: sracer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.