Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will the iPod touch get another update or will it be discontinued?

• The iPod touch has, at least, one more update forthcoming

Votes: 111 55.5%
  • The iPod touch product line won't be updated and will be discontinued

Votes: 89 44.5%

• Total voters

yesilyurt01

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2014
I think there'll be an iPod Touch 6 with an A7x/A8 CPU.
But like others have said here, I'd much rather it be 5.5" and
marketed as an "iPad Nano" rather than as a "iPod Touch [6 Gen.]/"iPod Touch+".

A 5.5" "iPad Nano" would be the perfect non-phone pocket device and
would fly off the shelves. I know I'd get one.

Deal with it guys, its over. Ipod touch was cheapest way to ios. Now they want us to pay more and get ipads or iphones.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I would guess what we're seeing is the result of some uncertainty on Apple's part about how to configure their iOS product line. The phones are a given, although their size is an open question (is 5.5" too big? is 4" dead?). The current iPad is probably a given, although there's a question whether there's demand for a ~12" iPad. The iPad mini, who knows - how will it sell against the 5.5" phone? I think the Touch raises a lot of questions. Is there still consumer demand for this product class? Is there a niche for this product in the lineup, from Apple's perspective? What size should it be - 4", 4.7", 5.5"...other?

I would have really liked a revised Touch with 128gb storage, an A7 SoC and maybe more RAM. Didn't happen, maybe never will.

warpoholic

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2010
Audiophile?

I wish nothing more than that there would be a new iPod Touch with at least 128GB of memory.

But as there where nor are any serious rumours I guess I have to let it go.

The last hope would be, that Apple is working on a serious audiophile iPod for old-fashioned music-lovers.

Why do I still have this hope?

- Putting out a iPod touch with 128GB at the same time as the new iPhone would cannibalise iPhone sales.
Lots of people waiting for an iPod touch with 128GB might finally give in and buy an iPhone.
Obviously Apple rather wants us to have iPhones than iPod Touches.

- There are confirmed rumours that Apple is working on HD audio.
https://www.macrumors.com/2014/05/13/hd-audio-ios-8-new-in-ear-headphones-lightning/

- Bono also announced the fact, that he is working with Apple on something huge:
https://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/18/apple-u2-music-format/

- The iPhone 6 is not yet able to play high-resolution audio.
https://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/26/iphone-6-hd-audio/

- If there will be a high fidelity iPod, audiophiles will definitely get one next to their iPhone.

In the past, high-quality players where extremely expensive and just niche products.
Now three competitors are getting pretty closer to the iPod pricing. All of them offering 128GB and high resolution audio.
(Pono / NWZ-ZX1 / Plenue P1)

LAPTOPODO

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2010
The thing it's "easy" ... if you want to make photos and listen to music ... you buy iphone...or samsung...

if you want to make art with photography... you buy Reflex camera.

If you love music to the bone.... you buy Ipod Hi-Fi. (and good headphones)

I hope they are developing something great...

and... meanwhile? what to buy? a nano? .... my old nano it's out of service...death.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Maybe there's a possibility that Apple plans to release an updated iPod touch with matching screen sizes of the 6 and 6 Plus once they have the resources to do so. As of right now it seems that everything is going into trying to meet demand of the iPhones. But if there's no update by Spring 2015, I think the iPod Touch is done.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
The Touch is well and truly dead; Apple isn't interested in such a stand-alone media device anymore, especially when they're concentrating on the Apple Watch.

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
I cannot imagine Apple ever doing away with iPods.
I mean seriously. As long as Apple have iTunes and are selling music then iPods are here to stay.

As Apple have claimed, the only reason they stopped production of iPod Classic is component availability. They will be updating the iPod Touch for sure. The iPod Touch is here to stay and will most likely get a storage, CPU etc upgrade.

If they did away with the iPod Touch then what would people use as iPods. They would start buying competitors products. I mean personal music playing devices have been around for decades and will continue to be around.
Apple would be left with iPod Shuffle and iPod Nano. People want bigger devices with more storage space for the bulk of their music. The smaller iPods fit a niche such as for gym, running, car usage.

iPod Touch has multiple uses too, such as gaming, web browsing, navigation, email, messaging etc etc. It is more than just an iPod or music device.

I agree with some of the other comments that iPod Touch 6th gen was not launched at the same time as iPhone 6 was because it would have been overkill and same with the iPad AIr 2 launch etc, it would have just been too much.

But my personal view point is that iPod Touch 5th gen is still doing just fine as is. It doesn't need any spec bumps at the moment, which is what Apple are probably thinking. They may actually be waiting for flash storage to come down a lot more in price or something along those lines before they launch a device with greater storage and power.
Plus Apple's focus will be on its flagship iPhone and competing against other phones. Where iPods are concerned there is no great urgency to be competitive.

An iPhone 6 sized iPod Touch would be awesome, especially if it meant it could fit in more storage and a longer lasting battery.

As far as marketing is concerned, maybe they could just call it iPod and drop the "Touch" name. I mean they dont call the iPhone the iPhone Touch.
Thus you would just have iPhone, iPad, iPod and the two smaller iPods retaining their iPod Nano and iPod Shuffle names.

Perhaps Apple will have another event at some point with just the launch of the latest Apple TV and the iPod Touch. It would make sense.
Hoping that they'll also change the form factor of the Nano back down to the 6th gen form factor. Or at least add a clip to the current form so that it can be used at the gym etc.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
The thing it's "easy" ... if you want to make photos and listen to music ... you buy iphone...or samsung...

if you want to make art with photography... you buy Reflex camera.

If you love music to the bone.... you buy Ipod Hi-Fi. (and good headphones)

I hope they are developing something great...

and... meanwhile? what to buy? a nano? .... my old nano it's out of service...death.

The iPod HiFi was discontinued ages ago.

I wish nothing more than that there would be a new iPod Touch with at least 128GB of memory.

But as there where nor are any serious rumours I guess I have to let it go.

The last hope would be, that Apple is working on a serious audiophile iPod for old-fashioned music-lovers.

Why do I still have this hope?

- Putting out a iPod touch with 128GB at the same time as the new iPhone would cannibalise iPhone sales.
Lots of people waiting for an iPod touch with 128GB might finally give in and buy an iPhone.
Obviously Apple rather wants us to have iPhones than iPod Touches.

- There are confirmed rumours that Apple is working on HD audio.
https://www.macrumors.com/2014/05/13/hd-audio-ios-8-new-in-ear-headphones-lightning/

- Bono also announced the fact, that he is working with Apple on something huge:
https://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/18/apple-u2-music-format/

- The iPhone 6 is not yet able to play high-resolution audio.
https://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/26/iphone-6-hd-audio/

- If there will be a high fidelity iPod, audiophiles will definitely get one next to their iPhone.

In the past, high-quality players where extremely expensive and just niche products.
Now three competitors are getting pretty closer to the iPod pricing. All of them offering 128GB and high resolution audio.
(Pono / NWZ-ZX1 / Plenue P1)

I cannot imagine Apple ever doing away with iPods.
I mean seriously. As long as Apple have iTunes and are selling music then iPods are here to stay.

As Apple have claimed, the only reason they stopped production of iPod Classic is component availability. They will be updating the iPod Touch for sure. The iPod Touch is here to stay and will most likely get a storage, CPU etc upgrade.

If they did away with the iPod Touch then what would people use as iPods. They would start buying competitors products. I mean personal music playing devices have been around for decades and will continue to be around.
Apple would be left with iPod Shuffle and iPod Nano. People want bigger devices with more storage space for the bulk of their music. The smaller iPods fit a niche such as for gym, running, car usage.

iPod Touch has multiple uses too, such as gaming, web browsing, navigation, email, messaging etc etc. It is more than just an iPod or music device.

I agree with some of the other comments that iPod Touch 6th gen was not launched at the same time as iPhone 6 was because it would have been overkill and same with the iPad AIr 2 launch etc, it would have just been too much.

But my personal view point is that iPod Touch 5th gen is still doing just fine as is. It doesn't need any spec bumps at the moment, which is what Apple are probably thinking. They may actually be waiting for flash storage to come down a lot more in price or something along those lines before they launch a device with greater storage and power.
Plus Apple's focus will be on its flagship iPhone and competing against other phones. Where iPods are concerned there is no great urgency to be competitive.

An iPhone 6 sized iPod Touch would be awesome, especially if it meant it could fit in more storage and a longer lasting battery.

As far as marketing is concerned, maybe they could just call it iPod and drop the "Touch" name. I mean they dont call the iPhone the iPhone Touch.
Thus you would just have iPhone, iPad, iPod and the two smaller iPods retaining their iPod Nano and iPod Shuffle names.

Perhaps Apple will have another event at some point with just the launch of the latest Apple TV and the iPod Touch. It would make sense.
Hoping that they'll also change the form factor of the Nano back down to the 6th gen form factor. Or at least add a clip to the current form so that it can be used at the gym etc.

In response to both: An introduction of a sixth generation iPod touch would not have stolen THAT much thunder from either the iPhone 6/6 Plus/Apple Watch announcement nor the iPad Air 2/Retina 5K 27" iMac/Mac minis/iPad mini 3 announcement. This was proven when Apple announced the current iPod touch alongside the iPhone 5. There was no theft of thunder in that announcement whatsoever, so it's safe to assume that there wouldn't be one here.

As for the iTunes+iPod logic, while that logic still feels wholesome and sound to me having first bought into that duo ten years ago, I think Apple now feels that the iPhone is sufficient enough to replace that element of the equation. And frankly, it wouldn't bother me quite so much if iOS 8 wasn't so freakin' slow on the fifth generation iPod touch. If they held it behind on iOS 7, at least it'd still be responsive enough to be enjoyable to use as an MP3 player.

jedisaga

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2008
Havertown, PA
Deal with it guys, its over. Ipod touch was cheapest way to ios. Now they want us to pay more and get ipads or iphones.

I don't think Apple is killing off the IPT, however, I do think future updates to the hardware will be minimal and unannounced. Probably enough to keep up with the iOS software. That's what happened to the original ipod.

J

yesilyurt01

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2014
I don't think Apple is killing off the IPT, however, I do think future updates to the hardware will be minimal and unannounced. Probably enough to keep up with the iOS software. That's what happened to the original ipod.

J

Where is 6g then. I do not think that upgrading chip and memory is too hard for apple. Better chip, better camera, more memory, touch id and all spects are allready on the table. So why don't they come up with next gen. Its been 2 years I can't think better time to upgrade.

jedisaga

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2008
Havertown, PA
Where is 6g then. I do not think that upgrading chip and memory is too hard for apple. Better chip, better camera, more memory, touch id and all spects are allready on the table. So why don't they come up with next gen. Its been 2 years I can't think better time to upgrade.

The current 5g model handles iOS without much issues. When Apple decides the OS is too much power for the hardware, you will see a minimal upgrade.

J

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
The current 5g model handles iOS without much issues. When Apple decides the OS is too much power for the hardware, you will see a minimal upgrade.

J

No it doesn't; it's dog slow. My iPhone 5 is slow under iOS 8.1.

Apple won't be updating the iPT - there is no reason for them to.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012

They will update it at minimal cost to them. There was no pint updating it this year because they would be updating it the same size screen as the 6 next year.

jodamiller

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2014
Dead in one chart

Dead and this is why:

Screen-Shot-2014-05-19-at-5-19-7.55.22-PM.png

http://www.asymco.com/2014/05/19/categorizing-technologies/

Peak MP3 occured in Sept 2010 and has been sliding down ever since.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
They will update it at minimal cost to them. There was no pint updating it this year because they would be updating it the same size screen as the 6 next year.

They wouldn't release a new model just because they could - not when it would lose them money because of almost non-existent demand.

jedisaga

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2008
Havertown, PA

Um, I'm thinking it's your IPT5 because I'm not having any issues whatsoever and I have the latest update. Sorry dude.

J

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
Um, I'm thinking it's your IPT5 because I'm not having any issues whatsoever and I have the latest update. Sorry dude.

J

No, I don't have an IPT5; ios8 has slowed down my iPhone 5, not unusable but still slow, especially compared with my Android devices.

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
They will update it at minimal cost to them. There was no point updating it this year because they would be updating it the same size screen as the 6 next year.

Yeh, good point!

2014 was the year of the iPhone 6 and 6+, Apple Watch, Apple Pay, iPad Air 2 and Retina iMac.

When you think about, to then have an updated iPT and a retina Mac Book Air released all in the same year would have been way too much. I'm guessing that Apple may have looked at it that way. They wanted to keep the focus on the iPhone, Apple Watch and Apple Pay. The iPT6 and rMBA would have been overshadowed. Once that has all died down in 2015 then they can release the retina MBA and a new iPod Touch.

2015 will hopefully, fingers crossed, be the year of the rMBA and iPT6. Oh and not to forget the Apple TV. :D .... and a Nano with 6th gen form and a clip for gym use. :D

Edit:
iPod Touch = Alive. Long live the iPod Touch! :D

o2breathe

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2014
I wouldnt say dead but declining, mostly being replaced by not only iphones but smartphones in general

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010

As I've been waiting for a touch worth updating to for a few years now, I'm really hoping this is all true. I could wait until March, so long as the update (if there is one, anyway) is worthwhile. It makes sense why they'd wait too, for stock on the parts they'd need, and to not pull attention away from the iPhone 6 and new iPads.

Rileyx2

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2012
I think a compelling case could be made for some sort of iPod Touch 6 with the A7/M7 Chip included. It would be 'new' enough to run the 64-bit apps but it wouldn't be a threat to iPhone 6/6+/next iPhone sales. Maybe if they lowered the price of the Touch even more, I could see Apple dropping the Nano line or pushing the Nano and Shuffle lines together. I don't see the end of iPod in the near/two year future, but Apple has been making more business-focus decisions lately and it doesn't make much business sense to continue something that has sales declining so quickly.

nm9277

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2014
I wanted a iPod touch 6g too. I have a 4g and was waiting for 6g but it didnt announce and I was disappointed like many people! Apple doesn't understand that people don't want to buy the iPod touch 5g because they're waiting for the 6g and it's outdated. It won't have the new update iOS 9 which will come out in the middle of 2015. Personally I want the iPod touch 6g to come out and I believe it will some day but also I don't feel like it will come out. Lets hope the Internet rumors are true that they are testing it or putting the spotlight on iPhone 6 for now or making it a complete package!!! PLZ RELEASE IPOD TOUCH 6G

jdphoto

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2014
The only use I really see for the iPod Touch would be for kids you don't want to have an old iPhone. Since that's probably a small user base, I'm guessing Apple's not going to keep it around much longer. Though I wouldn't mind seeing an update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.