Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tieranus

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2009
Really, the OLED screen may look bad outdoors, but iPod Touch doesn't really look any better outdoors either.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
The Zune is a traditional media player than general purpose device. So if you want a general purpose pocket computer then the iPod touch is the way to go.

The Zune HD reminds me of very much what Apple would attempt if they were trying to get into a market. It is very focussed on doing a few things well (music, video) and has some unique features which make it stand out as a premium product.

In terms of design, I think it is better than the touch. Whilst the screws may not be to everyone's taste I think they fit well with the rugged, industrial look.

The touch debuted in 2007, even in that time the chipsets and techniques would have progressed (e.g. the Zune HD is lighter, yet offers a brighter screen and better battery life).

Zune users do all get their software updates for free, which is another bonus to the HD. That wasn't mentioned in the OPs comparison.

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
HEY OP!

this is pretty much the same stuff i've been hearing over and OVER and OVER!:eek:

the zune HD sucks!!!!

but hey that's my opinion....;)

I have an ipod touch

but I have no Zune HD or any Zune Device!

so in any case I will always be biased, b/c I tend to like more the ipod touch than the Zune HD

in sociological terms, "things that u are familiar, are more appealing to you than those that don't":rolleyes:

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2007
California
Well... Shure on Zune HD vs. iPod earbuds on iPod touch. Shure wins hands down. Use stock earbuds on both PMPs.

Really? What happens if you stop subscribing? You lose ALL of your music. I see the benefits, but I want to own whatever I buy. But that's IMHO.

What?! Are you kidding me? Do you expect to hear any differences in quality through stock earbuds?

You don't own any of your music. The artists don't even own their music. An artist could get sued for distributing his music without permission of the owners (the record companies). Think you own a DRM free file? Hell no. It's just easier to "pirate" when you use it in ways not "allowed" by your license.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Lol. This thread was meant to be flamed on...lol. Just buy either one, it's about preferences jezzz people...you're being "fanboys" :p

Oddly, it's not people being fanboys, rather it's people taking offense to what is not a fair comparison. I don't own a Zune and doubt I would ever, but it's wrong to post information like that and try to claim to have some sort of credibility.

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
The Zune is a traditional media player than general purpose device. So if you want a general purpose pocket computer then the iPod touch is the way to go.

The Zune HD reminds me of very much what Apple would attempt if they were trying to get into a market. It is very focussed on doing a few things well (music, video) and has some unique features which make it stand out as a premium product.

In terms of design, I think it is better than the touch. Whilst the screws may not be to everyone's taste I think they fit well with the rugged, industrial look.

The touch debuted in 2007, even in that time the chipsets and techniques would have progressed (e.g. the Zune HD is lighter, yet offers a brighter screen and better battery life).

Zune users do all get their software updates for free, which is another bonus to the HD. That wasn't mentioned in the OPs comparison.

Disagree completely. The iPod and all its lines are traditionally music players. Right at the beginning. Where on paper did Apple say that they are no longer considered music players. They are iPods. A traditional music player at heart. Just because Apple added some fun and usefulness with it, doesn't mean that iPods are no longer music players.

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
If you want to listen to music and like what zunepass gives you, get the zune.

If you want to be able to look up types of birds, get an ipod touch. :p

...it seems you like the zune HD.

I think, in general, people are just used to iTunes (Apple has the market), and it is hard to go back. For some who have a ton of previous downloaded music it is a task. Plus, the app store is truly the key, and along with a much better mobile internet experience with Safari.

I hope the iPod Touch becomes more enticing sooner than later.... I may buy a Zune HD for a gift, so please keep up the feedback...

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
Disagree completely. The iPod and all its lines are traditionally music players. Right at the beginning. Where on paper did Apple say that they are no longer considered music players. They are iPods. A traditional music player at heart. Just because Apple added some fun and usefulness with it, doesn't mean that iPods are no longer music players.

Apple just clouted the touch as a gaming device at the iPod event lol... and the iPod touch does a lot of things besides play music, and some of the other iPods are getting more features that don't have to do with music (nano camera).

What the OP was saying is that in the past apple would come to market with something like the iPod, and all it really does is play music and podcasts. Now apple's devices have a ton of extra features built into them. It seems the Zune HD is more dedicated to being a music player than an all in one gaming/email/mobile web/calander/app store/iPod/etc. device.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I would go with the Zune HD if I was looking for a straight up media player and if it had mac support. If Apple implemented a subscription service similar to Zune Pass then it would probably be a toss up for me.

The thing is, I am not looking for a separate media player, I would rather have a device with a bit more utility, hence iPod Touch/iPhone.

And the browser on the Zune HD needs a lot of work. First, it is SLOW (See the engadget video here for a comparison test) It does not have tabs so you can only view one page at a time, and it doesn't render certain page elements. These can all be fixed in a software update, but to be honest as long as they are relying on the IE renderer at the core it will never be as good as any WebKit based browser.

Also the car commercial before you play a game is pretty cheesy, I would much rather have a banner ad rather than having to wait 10 seconds to open a game. Oh and the load time on apps is terrible, it takes 5 seconds to open a calculator? That is why I would recommend Zune HD only to people who are looking for a media player, and only a media player.

Gyrferret

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
Well, you, sir, have aroused my ire. This is the REAL unbiased review....

iPod touch Pro:
Nice Screen
Multi-touch gestures that you only use for..... photos??!?!?
Unibody-esq design
SLIDE TO UNLOCK!!!!!
External Speaker....
Safair
Built in connection to diety of your choice
+3 Mac Points!
Paper weight mode
Easily user serv..... oh wait.....
:apple: logo on back!

iPod touch cons:
It got boring after a while....
It doesn't slay the Microsoft Dragon
Your Virility didn't increase
The world is still NOT in a revolution.

Zune HD Pros:
[Haven't used device]

Zune HD Cons:
[Haven't used device]

OPERA 5 MINI BETA Pros:
Dominant share of mobile market.
FASTEST AND BEST mobile Web Browser.;)

Opera 5 Mini Beta Cons:
f**k you! This is my review!

Again. I wish to say that this review is UNBIASED and based of MULTIPLE, Age-Verifiable, Country of Origin Cetrified, Organic, Non- HSTP carrying Sources....

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
Apple just clouted the touch as a gaming device at the iPod event lol... and the iPod touch does a lot of things besides play music, and some of the other iPods are getting more features that don't have to do with music (nano camera).

What the OP was saying is that in the past apple would come to market with something like the iPod, and all it really does is play music and podcasts. Now apple's devices have a ton of extra features built into them. It seems the Zune HD is more dedicated to being a music player than an all in one gaming/email/mobile web/calander/app store/iPod/etc. device.

Right, yet its still an iPod Touch. "iPod" name itself is defined as a music player.

Chimpy

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2007
The fact that the Zune doesn't support the Mac platform makes it a non-issue for me. I would check it out as I'm a bit of a MP junkie, but haven't bothered to due to that one issue alone.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003

I think we have our wires crossed.

The point I was trying to make is that the Zune is focussed on music and video, whereas the iPod has a broader feature set.

Due to its focus on just these two things, Microsoft has produced a device which has some unique features which the iPod doesn't have. When listening to Music Zune HD pulls back album artwork and lyrics, whilst HD video output is supported. Not only that, the UI to navigate content on your HDTV screen is very slick.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I think we have our wires crossed.

The point I was trying to make is that the Zune is focussed on music and video, whereas the iPod has a broader feature set.

Nope, the MS vaporware PR releases also include gaming and other apps.

However MS is unable to deliver it on launch date.

The fact that the Zune doesn't support the Mac platform makes it a non-issue for me. I would check it out as I'm a bit of a MP junkie, but haven't bothered to due to that one issue alone.

Yup. MS won't even support its own Windows Media Player with the Zune, never mind OS X.

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
The Zune's differentiating features don't have mass appeal. These include HD Radio, HD output with $90 add-on and Zune Pass and 1 or 2 other features.

However if any these features really appeal to you and make or break your purchase decision then the Zune would be the one to get.

Otherwise, for the majority, Touch has it beat.

IF you just want a music player a Nano is probably more appealing.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Yes, but SnowLeopard2008 has been absent from it, I still really would like to know if he spent anytime with the Zune and if so, how much.

Obviously so much time that he couldn't return and post.

I don't doubt that MS actually put something nice together here, the problem is (for them anyway) that if you have such a small market presence, and rely on gimmicks mainly to sell your device, i don't think your going to take off all that well. It worries me that so many people get so excited for features that clearly are just buzzwords and not really ready for primetime (OLED will be great, will be).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.