Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ellisken

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
I have a new 5thG iPod (60gb). I have been able to download music onto it, but something is not right.
When I try to update the ipod, i get this following msg:
"The iPod cannot be updated. The required file cannot be found."
Can anyone offer suggestions to fix this? I have been unable to download pictures onto the ipod, and i think it is related to this.

Also: My computer hard drive is only so big, and I would like to put a good number of my CDs on my iPod, but not have them gunking up limited computer hard drive space. Is there a way to put my CDs on my iPod, then erase them from iTunes, and not have those files erased from my iPod the next time i update??

Thanks for any info.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
For your 1st question i really can't help you with that but i did have the same problem all i did was disconnect the ipod and reconnected it.

Your second question is you can connect your ipod to your computer and go into ipod options and manually manage songs. Your ipod will retain all its contents when its hooked to your computer without manullay udating itself.

My 2 cents: Get an External Drive to hold your contents on...you won't be sorry.

Bless

geekologist

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2006
Texas
ellisken said:
I have a new 5thG iPod (60gb). I have been able to download music onto it, but something is not right.
Can anyone offer suggestions to fix this? I have been unable to download pictures onto the ipod, and i think it is related to this.

Also: My computer hard drive is only so big, and I would like to put a good number of my CDs on my iPod, but not have them gunking up limited computer hard drive space. Is there a way to put my CDs on my iPod, then erase them from iTunes, and not have those files erased from my iPod the next time i update??

Thanks for any info.

Just set iTunes so that is does not auto update your iPod. Mange it manually.

geekologist

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2006
Texas
ellisken said:

Thanks for any info.

The only thing I can think of is that that file or folder has been moved. i.e. It was in My Muisc and it got moved to My Documents.

geekologist

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2006
Texas
Media file can't be found

From Apple's support page:
"Media file can't be found
Double-click the song in your library and show iTunes where it is."

That's what it must be. You will have to go find that song file on your hard drive. I have had this happen to me before too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.