Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HardHatMac9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2004
Hello Folks,

Picked up the 60GB iPod Video yesterday, gently took it out, and plugged it in for what seemed to be an extremely long 4 hours of charging and uploading of all my music, photos, and videos.

Finally, after fully charging, I turned it on and lo and behold there is a dead pixel (a pixel stuck in blue) in the middle right hand side of the screen. I can't help but notice the thing and it has been a major bummer!

I'm going to try and take it back this afternoon at my lunch break and see if I can exchange it. Also, is it me, or does the middle select button seem a bit wobbly?

Any similar experiences?

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
i think it's time for another lawsuit... just like for the nano...

(yeah, take it back... that's crap- bummer with the luck dude- hope it works out for you)

HardHatMac9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2004
Update

So, I took it back to the store and they said they'll look into it to see if they can replace it--so they're holding on to it.

To add insult to injury, the guy at the store, wiped the entire iPod screen on the sleeve of his shirt *twice* thus putting scratches on the screen. I pointed them out and I nearly grabbed his arm when he was doing that.

Now I'm really hoping they take care of it and kindly replace it to keep this Apple Loyalist happy.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
if they do replace it, it will be a while, stock is very very low and they only have a few, but i hope they do replace it cause i would be even madder if it was an ipod then on a ACD

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
It begs the question, however, how many people can they satisfy before they lose money or say NO? :rolleyes: Good luck.

HardHatMac9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2004
dferrara said:
It begs the question, however, how many people can they satisfy before they lose money or say NO? :rolleyes: Good luck.

If they say no, I could potentially accept the decision. The fact that the guy handling my iPod scratched the screen while wiping it on his shirt sleeve (they're supposed to be experts, right?!) is what I WILL NOT accept. In essence, if they say no, I'll be getting back an iPod that is worse than when I brought it there. I'm hoping it all works out an they issue me a new device, otherwise this is going to take up even more of my time.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
The fact that the employee whipes his sleeve onto your screen twice is just rude and idiotic. I hate it when just normal people work at an Apple store that know nothing about the products. The lady at the counter didn't even know the price of the 30GB iPod when my dad asked her. She had to look it up. I had to say it twice for her to hear me. But oh well, what are ya gonna do? :eek:

Anyway, I hope you get it replaced. If they say no at first, then jump in and explain what the employee did with his shirt. That was just... idiotic. :rolleyes:

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
otoloui said:
the guy at the store, wiped the entire iPod screen on the sleeve of his shirt *twice* thus putting scratches on the screen.
Are you serious? Wiping a shirt on the screen scratched it?????
You gotta be kidding? Either you're imaging the scratches by the shirt, or they were already there.

HardHatMac9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2004
Update

They're gonna replace it!!!! Yay! Turns out the defect wasn't the pixel but something in the plastic covering the screen which thus creates a prism effect. Thank the Lord, I was gonna blow a gasket if they didn't take it back.

HardHatMac9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2004
otoloui said:
They're gonna replace it!!!! Yay! Turns out the defect wasn't the pixel but something in the plastic covering the screen which thus creates a prism effect. Thank the Lord, I was gonna blow a gasket if they didn't take it back.

So I get there and they tell me that they have 4 Black 60GB iPods "on hold" for others who HAVE NOT paid for them. So now I might not get another iPod until they receive their next shipment. Apple's "On Hold" policy is RIDICULOUS! Why hold something for someone that hasn't paid for it when there are others that are willing to buy it right then and there?!

Runaround...............

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
GimmeSlack12 said:
You gotta be kidding? Either you're imaging the scratches by the shirt, or they were already there.

Wow morons like you really bug me telling people what scratches and what doesnt. You sound like my older brother "that didnt hurt you". The biggest issue in the apple world in the last few weeks is that the nano is the most scratch happy nano ever made cloth and paper towl have been known to scratch these things and I think that the ipod is now made the same way with this easily scratchable shinny resin covering. So heres what I want you to do when you get your nano bring it over to my house and I wipe the screen with my shirt a couple of times and see if you're imagining those scratches.

cinder

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2004
Seattle
Man

According to the salespeople I've talked to, not a single Black 60GB iPodV has come through the Seattle-area Apple Stores.

I've been calling every day . . .

=/

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
I haven't seen one in the Regent Street store either (unless you count demo models) and I'm really wishing I hadn't got impatient and cancelled my Apple Store Online order......
Its looking like next week at the earliest for some to reach the stores...

HardHatMac9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2004
GimmeSlack12 said:

Believe it or not, it happened. The new iPods which are made from the same material as the Nanos are very scratch prone.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
I'm glad you got a new one! I think that's so ridiculous. They are hiring a bunch of idiots. I used to work there, and I was surprised by how little the staff actually knew. A lot of them, in fact, had never been Mac users.

The only people who know anything are the Geniuses.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
If they tell you some stupid answer like it's just one pixel, tell them that compared to even a laptop's 12" screen, one pixel per 2.5" space would be a large number on a computer....

Just keep at it, you'll get a new one!

HardHatMac9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2004
Got another one

They gave me another one, but I still need to set it up. I'm starting to wonder if I made a mistake and should have waited, but I'm just not that patient. If the replacement has a problem with it, I'm going to be very suspicious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.