Ipod video resolution is bigger with mpeg than h.264?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by shocky31, Oct 13, 2005.

1. shocky31 macrumors newbie

Ipod video resolution is bigger with mpeg than h.264? I was looking around and found this www.apple.com/ipod/specs.html scroll down and look at the resolution for mpeg4 video compared to h.264. The resolution is 480x480 compared to 320x280. What gives?

2. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

H.264 is a much more intense codec. So for the video processor in the iPod to be able to do it they had to restrict it. That said, if you compress your movies in either format at the same settings, the H.264 codec will give you much better results. So even though you can use higher setting for the MPEG4 videos, you may actually need them to get similar quality to the H.264, but your filesizes will be much larger.

3. Betateam macrumors member

Will the new iTunes convert it for me if I have it in a different format and resolution?

Thanks

4. tom_s macrumors member

The resolution of the built-in display is 320x240, so those resolutions only seem to work on a tv via the iPod dock.
    I'm not sure, but isn't the res of usual tvs less than 480x480, too? So why this resolution?

5. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Standard Definition TV is actually 720x480.

6. shocky31 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was just saying that resolution because it said it on apple's site. BTW, if i'm using handbrake and ripping a one hour dvd in normal resolution(640x480
    ) what should i shoot for as far as bitrate(kpbs) and file size. trying to keep it where i can have all my dvd's on my ibook. I want to know where the line

7. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I believe you have to have Quicktime 7 Pro to do such a thing. A warning, however, the compression process is very processor intensive and takes a looooooong time, I'v heard.

8. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

But keep in mind two things.

1. SDTV is interlaced. 480i is more like 240p than 480p.

2. Most TVs aren't good enough to resolve every pixel that SDTV can provide.

Put both of these together and the output of the iPod may be quite comparable to the TV signal that you get over the air or off of cable.

Now, if you have a progressive scan source (i.e. progressive scan DVD player) and component cables, then the iPod will look horrible in comparison.

Keep in mind, I do not have an 5G iPod, so all of my comments are merely based on hot air.

ft